“Lovely way to stay in Sapa”

Sapa Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 139 Sapa B&B and Inns
USA
“Lovely way to stay in Sapa”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We loved our stay. We found Nam's parents to be very hospitable hosts, very proud and dedicated to offering you a good experience at a lovely house and garden, with clean big rooms with nice shower. We found an excellent off the beaten trek about 300 meters from the house. We borrowed the mopped for free to go to Sapa to dinner. Another time we came back from town with a moto taxi, for $1. We loved the breakfast and overall, felt it was the best place to stay at in Sapa, and I hope it will encourage other local families to open more B&B to offer a different experience than that of

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank 2thousandsteps

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Vietnamese first
Flores, Indonesia
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Rooms are very good but they do not clean after you check in. And the drain stinks at night.
The house is nice and the garden is beautiful, but very far from the center of Sapa, where the restaurants are.
You can't really tell if the owner and his parents like you or not, I think they try to pretend they are nice sometimes, but I think they only care about your money.
As soon as you arrive the owner offers to take you to town (at first you think it's a taxi, but he is the one who takes you) for 6 dollars. He also mentions the possibility of eating in the house for 5 dollars.
I felt like a hostage. I either had to pay him the absurd 6 dollars to go to town (2km) or the absurd 5 dollars to eat the mediocre food they make in the house. They made fish for us and it was a coi, only bones.
And, btw, during the day, when only the parents of the owner and some employees are around none speaks english. Not a single word.
Sometimes, when the owner was going to town he offered a lift for free, which was nice. But sometimes when we were paying he would carry other people.
On my last day he charged me 5 dollars to go with him to Lao cai, where he works.
I did like the house. But I didn't like the owner's attitude.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank gnows
Sapagarden, Owner at Sapa Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear gnows

Thanks for your comment.

First of all, it was unfair to say that you were our hostage. We did not even think of turning any of our customers to become our hostages. That may be one of the most stupid thing in doing business. We did not think of accommodating you today and then close our BnB tomorrow. You had the right to choose where to stay and you did enjoy your stay with us. At least, it appeared on your face with a smile and a nice conversation with me on the way to China Border. What made you be upset and turned every aspect of your stay to negative points? You told me that you were so stress because you had to separate from the group and traveled to China on your own?! You told me that you needed some tablets (from the night before) to calm you down and you told me that you were better after taking them and you were ready to cross the border. What was wrong after that?

We are 2km away from town center (The Church in the center), that maybe a bit more if you go around the town. The advantage is the quietness, cozy environment, peaceful garden and the great value of money for your room in our BnB, however, you have to walk or pay for TAXI to go to town. If you like, you would be able to use our motorbike for few hours (free of charge) to go for dinner.

I was happy to give you a lift, when possible. However, you called me at around 9.00 to 10.00PM to pick you up from restaurant in town, it was fair to pay. For your case, when I recognized that you were too serious about your money, I did take you to town twice (free of charge) and you paid me ONLY 3USD for 3 of you to be picked up from town at nighttime (cheaper than any other kind of transportation in Sapa, but walking). I did the job of Taxi driver was because of your convenient, not because of your 3USD.

You mentioned about the food, we shouldn’t have made your meal for second time if you did not tell us the food was great and you would like to have it for second time! You were somewhere on the mountain on your trek and called me to ask if my parents could cook your lunch for 1 more time with the same kind of food because you all enjoyed it. How come you turn your back to my parents’ hospitality?

Regarding to cleanness, for sure my parents cleaned your room every day. They changed cover sheet, duvet every 2 days!

Last thing was transferring to the China Border, I had though that would have been a good thing to do you a favor to take you to the border in the early morning so that you had enough time to cross the border and catch a suitable bus to Yuan Jiang, however, not as I though, you added it to the negative points. I am not working in the border. My office is 15km shorter than traveling with you to the border. Was that too expensive to pay 5USD for a private transfer from Sapa to the border for more than 40KM? Did I do that for your convenient or because of your 5USD? You are a lawyer. You understand that better than me.

We are trying to offer our customers with valuable service and the most convenient stay. We are working to make money to survive as others people do, include you, how come you complain about every single dollar you spent for your stay with us. You always looked for “free of charge” and when the target was not reached, turned everything upside down.

You have the right to comment and write what ever you like about our place, therefore, I think, we also have the right to explain more about what had happened, that may help other travelers having a deeper understanding about the situation.

For the convenient of our customers, from now, we offer free transfer from our BnB to town for dinner. Van leaves from our BnB at 18.45PM and back from town at 21.00PM.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed here with our two young kids for one night in June and it was perfect for them. Kids will always love space to roam around and they really enjoyed playing in the beautiful garden. The distance from town didn't bug us much as after hiking around the countryside the whole day, staying here was a pleasant retreat from the hustle of Sapa. No regrets and the home-cooked dinner by Nam Hong and his family was one of the best meals of our whole trip. His parents are lovely and his mother took the effort to walk out at night to get my daughter something from the next door provision shop. Kinda like staying in a friend's house in the country. The ability to use a fully functional kitchen is also a plus for families with kids as we could rustle up a quick meal for our kids ahead of time if they couldn't wait for dinner. Laundry and drying services are available at a charge. We would stay here again.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mom2781
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed here 2 nights 9&10 June 2011 with my boy friend. My first impression at Sapa is sitting in the garden of Sapa Garden B&B after taking a shower for my long night train from Hanoi. The feeling that it is cold, windy, peaceful, quiet in a very big garden with a lot of space can make you fly to the top of the mountain :) The room is comfortable, nice, well-equipped, large with the window opened to the garden with a lake. Mr Hong-the owner is kindly and careful. He can help you any imformation about tour, transport and good food at Sapa. He is really so nice with us when give us Early-check in and late-check out which are Free Of Charge. We are appreciated him and his family very much who helped us to have a very wonderful stay at Sapa. I strongly recommend this B&B to everyone who 'd like to get a VERY good value of money. ^o^

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimmy_Do
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Every aspect of our stay here was perfect. First, after booking on Agoda, I emailed Nam Hong to work out the details of our arrival/departure, since due to the train times a hotel stay can be a bit awkward in Sapa. He was wonderfully obliging and helpful, both with the arrangements and with organizing transport from Lao Cai and with arranging trekking. When we arrived at Lao Cai our driver was waiting for us, and when we arrived at the B&B we were warmly greeted by Nam Hong's parents (who run the B&B) and a gorgeous, clean, spacious room that felt like an alpine retreat and smelled of eucalyptus. After a nice long nap and an AMAZING shower (heat lamps in a rain-type shower - perfect for Sapa!) we had a delicious breakfast prepared by his mother, with warm bread, near the small fireplace. Divine.

The rest of our stay was just as great. Nam Hong has thought of everything - there is even a dehumidifier in the room, which makes a huge difference in Sapa. Our guide on the trek we booked through him was both an amazing guide and fascinating woman and the home cooked meal we got to enjoy with he and his parents is one of our most special memories of our time in Vietnam (not to mention his mom is an insane cook - I will remember her spring rolls forever).

Worth noting - this is a fair distance from the town of Sapa, so you do have to flag down a motobike to get into town (or arrange a cab with his parents), but I think the distance from the town is a very, very good thing! Everyone is constantly hawking their wares at you in town, to the point where walking down the street can get a bit stressful, so being able to retreat to cozy Sapa Garden B&B is actually a pleasure.

Room Tip: We were in the Mountain Room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank watchourstep
Sapagarden, Owner at Sapa Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear watchourstep

We are super happy that we exceeded your expectations! This is the thing we truly aim for with each and every one of our guests that stay with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed our BnB and took the time to write such a fabulous review. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future!

Yours in Hospitality,

Nam Hong - Sapa Garden Bed and Breakfast
takeo, cambodia
Reviewed May 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for only one night, and we wish we could have stayed at this lovely place longer!

We originally called to stay at the Thai Binh Hotel, but it was full. The owner suggested we stay at his newly-opened bed and breakfast, the Sapa Garden, about 3km outside of the Sapa town center. We agreed, and we weren't disappointed. Upon arriving early in the morning on the night bus, the owner picked us up in his own car and took us to the B&B. His mother (who lives there along with his father) cooked us a wonderful breakfast of omelette and toasted fresh bread with cheese and jam. We put our things into our room and spent some time in front of his living room fireplace- it was cold! After we freshened up, we took a walk to the town after the owner gave us some helpful tips about Sapa town.

When we returned to the hotel we found that we had been relocated after a problem with the hot water. No problem, though- the room we changed to was just as comfortable as the room we had. The shower was hot, the bed was soft, and the room came with a space heater and a dehumidifier. The next morning we were treated to another delicious breakfast.

The two things that really stood out about Sapa Garden were the comfort and quietness of the bed and breakfast, and the hospitality of the family who runs it. Being a few kilometers out of town makes you feel like you are truly away- not the best for someone who wants to be in the thick of things, but perfect for families or couples who want to have a nice, quiet time to themselves. Since it's in someone's home, you get the personal touch. The owner went the extra mile for us- he picked us up when he saw us walking in the rain, took us to one of his favorite noodle places, and arranged motorbikes to take us back to the bed and breakfast after we ate. He gave us advice on how to get around Sapa, and some trekking routes. His parents are wonderful people- they don't speak much English, but it never got in the way of communicating.

Although we did not make use of the services, the owners can arrange a guided tour of the surrounding villages, with homestays, for you, among other things.

All in all it was a lovely time; if you find yourself in Sapa, make sure you give Mr. Hong a call. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidkierski
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Bed and Breakfast is brand new and the rooms and bathrooms are absolutely luxurious with most modern, comfortable fittings. The breakfast was wonderful also and the owner is very friendly and will help you with anything you need. He booked train tickets for us at no extra charge and made sure we always had everything we needed. Only downside ist he bed and breakfast is a little out of town, not really walkable, so you need to hire a motorbike to get to town and back. Also when we stayed there, there was no cable TV but maybe this will come as the place is still new.
Also new computer in the living area with very fast free internet, very handy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple