“Mixed feeling about Sapa View”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sapa View Hotel

Sapa View Hotel
Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Sapa
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feeling about Sapa View”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

I booked the Sapa View from Expedia and I am in two minds about this place.
I booked it as the rooms seemed well designed with modern bathrooms - however the overall stay has not been amazing mainly due to the very cold and damp room.

Firstly - to put thing in context - there are lots of hotels in Sapa - but it is a developing area and the standards - are not overall as high as Hanoi. Secondly to put things in context - the price of the hotel was quite cheap, nonetheless for Vietnam standard this particular hotel is quite expensive. We paid £40 for a deluxe room a night - which is at a mid / top end of Sapa - at least when I was looking for end of November stay.

The hotel has a great view over the mountains and valley and close the town centre.

The room has a nice design and the bathroom was neater than a lot of bathrooms I have seen on tripadvisor pics in Sapa hotels. The staff is nice although not as efficient as in some of the Hanoi hotel where the standards have been incredible (for example I emailed and asked for a transfer from Lao Cai station to the hotel but the transfer did not happen - fortunately it is pretty straight forwards a transfer to do ... nonetheless a first little disappointment)

However my main issue - and again it is all in perspective with the price of the hotel within Sapa - was how cold and damp the room was. On the first couple of days the weather was quite sunny and not too cold yet our room was cold and damp. There is a fire place which gets turned on but I found it very ineffective - and unless you constantly tend to it - it goes off. When the temperature lowered on our third day and started to rain the room felt even colder and damper. I think you can find in Sapa other hotels with proper electrical heating and if you are going in October / November or later you are going to need it.

After a day out - getting wet in the rain - the last thing one wants is a cold and damp room.

Shame as the hotel has good potential and the location is nice. But the cold ruined it for me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MassiG

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Monroe, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

Nice little Hotel with the best views in town. The breakfast was not the greatest but they tried. We had a clean room. The staff was very friendly, curteous, just plain fun. They watched our luggage for us while we were hiking. When we returned from the trek our room was cleaned and unavailable. They said they had a room for us to use and provided us with towels. They need a better room to shower in. We could not use the room. The people using it before us had trashed it. The location of the hotel put it close to town but not too close, so it was nice and quiet with postcard views of the valley. We talked to others and concluded that again Tom of Hanoi Moment Hotel in Hanoi had picked the best place. Our guide was an excellent local guy (Thai ethic group) he would chased away the hawkers, and took us to schools where the children of the hawkers should have been if not for the tourist buying stuff from them. If you want to help donate to the local schools, there is usually a collection box. The last day he found us a village with NO hawkers and NO other tourists. It was amazing and truely a local experience again Tom Nguyen at Hanoi Moment Hotel had arranged this tour.

Room Tip: The higher up the better facing the valley.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GRC761
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed here overnight in a deluxe room on the second floor. We had a great view and the room was huge. Customer service was great, very friendly and the transfers to and from the train station were appreciated.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spurtlegirl
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Nice room, nice view, clean and cozy. Very good service and helpful staff. Breakfast is not so great though but acceptable. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Quynhng_Nguyen
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

My friend and i stayed 1 night, great view. The hot water didnt work straight away but was eventually fixed. Very nice staff but not used to connecting phone calls from english people which was a problem, they hung up on our family when they tried to call us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank dreaded
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

After a disappointing stay at the Thai Binh, I negotiated a room here for $30/night without breakfast (the next day I also negotiated a late checkout for $10 so that I could shower before the 5pm bus back to Lao Cai). The view from my room (with two balconies) was amazing, and the room was big, clean and appeared to be newly appointed. The fridge wasn't working when I arrived, but someone quickly showed up to fix it (by plugging it in.)

The only real complaint I have is that there is nothing to put your soap or shampoo on in the shower, and you are standing on a wooden frame, so that the soap or shampoo is constantly falling underneath it no matter where you put them, and the frame is also slippery.

I should also give a big shout out to the evening clerk Mai, who was extra helpful and very kind.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Brooklyn112
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

What it takes to create a perfect mountain retreat? Are a good location, great service and big, but cosy & nicely decorated rooms what you need? Then Sapa Vew Hotel is just for you. We were really astonished with the size of the rooms (my “single” was huge, and “double” – well…). All of them have fireplaces (yes, it gets cold sometimes…) and you can ask for wood tin the reception. Furniture is new and solid - very comfortable beds & pillows are real advantage. There is breakfast included in the price (not big, but always a good thing).

The service is top notch. Once I lost my digital camera. When I discovered my Nikon was missing got a little nervous - but it came out that I left it in the morning by the reception desk and the camera was secured by the staff and immediately given back to me.

Views from the windows are breathtaking – you see valleys of rice fields, distant mountains. No wonder – this is Sapa VIEW Hotel (note, that the view might be foggy).

Sometimes hotels with a view are quite remote from the action – this is not a case. Sapa View Hotel is few hundred meters from Sapa market, there are many restaurants & shops nearby.

Sapa View Hotel is quite affordable & luxorious place to stay. If I visit Sapa again, this would be my choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends