“Grubby and out of town - a frustrating stay.”
Review of Green Valley Hotel

Green Valley Hotel
Ranked #52 of 174 Specialty Lodging in Sapa
Reviewed June 13, 2011

After seeing this place advertised online at $10 per night including breakfast we arrived to find that breakfast is not included and is an extra charge.
After sampling breakfast we found it very basic and not at all what is stated on the menu, the person working in the 'breakfast' room was far too busy playing pool to get us any sauces.

The hotel seems to let in anyone off the streets and sitting at the table in our room up on the 4th floor trying to skype one of my friends I was met with two tribes people standing at my open window on the balcony! This just tells me the hotel staff have no regard for safety of guests as anyone is allowed to come and go and wander the levels of the hotel at anytime.

Our room was not cleaned at all during our 3 night stay and attempting to communicate that we wanted clean towels etc was lost on all of the staff when the one English speaking girl was out of sight.
The mattress was awful with springs poking though the sides, it was by far the worst nights sleep so far in our travels.
The walls is both our room and the downstairs area are covered in mold.

We met the owner on our last day as we were waiting to leave, he was English or possibly Australian.. it was hard to tell as he was off his face on drugs as he was slurring his words, stumbling around and failing to focus on what we were saying when he wandered over to our table to 'offer us advice'. This advice did not materialise and after creepily stroking my back he wandered off upstairs.

I would not recommend this place to anyone, the place is a dive.

Room Tip: Pay more and get some decent standard of living.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LBJP2013

Reviewed May 28, 2011

Myself and my friends were recommended this place so decided to stay one night which turned out to be one night too many!!!! Our room was clean but damp and cold plus smelled funny!

It wasn't until we were on the train back to Hanoi that we realised we had all been bitten (not mossies) and then it dawned on us that it was BEDBUGS!!!! Yuck Yuck Yuck!! It had ruined out trip and just terrible! DO NOT STAY HERE!! It's just not worth it...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wandering2020
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I pre-booked a dorm room but was put into a share room (a nice upgrade) but still charged the dorm rate. The room was very spacious and clean- with electric blankets! Staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful. They offered a very cheap 2 day + 1 night homestay trek ($18) which was fantastic. They also organised my train ticket home and transfer to the station for the same price that the station charges! (A rarity with Vietnam hostels!). The bar and restaurant were also a great place to meet locals and other travelers over a beer, hot wine or a game of pool.
I'd definitely recommend this hostel (which actually feels more like a hotel).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights during december at 4 USD per night. shared the room with a dude i met on the train. had a room that was overseeing the valley, really worth the price! this hostel is partly owned by the original family and by a friendly australian guy.
the rooms are quite clean and the beds come with heater mats. the downside is the the heater are operated by the mains and you have to inform the reception if you need to turn on the heater. and the family are glad to help you out with any problems.
they are also not pushy with their tours (in fact they did not even promote their tours to me, which is really rare in sapa) this leaves you to be able to search for more alternatives in the city centre.
location wise, it is a 7 mins walk to the city centre, not too much a big deal. which makes it slightly quieter. it also has a bar/ restaurant, which provides good family food at great value and also has a pool table which makes it a good gathering place, not to mention there is also a fire place, really useful when it gets really cold.
for just 4 USD, u cant go wrong with this hostel. definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank freeloadx
Reviewed August 5, 2010

For 3 USD per night, this hostel looks after it's dorm rooms accordingly. Sheets where dirty, room was awfully hot and full of biting insects yet I slept surprisingly well. I do however warn people that if they want to stay here to bring their own sheets. Also, the hotel where I adapted the look up first before picking a bed policy.

Anyways, now that all the bad stuff is out of the way . . . The staff here are fantastic. They arranged tours for us contacted the train company and chatted for a very long time. They offered us a free shower after we got back from a trekking tour, had a left luggage service and even let us wash our shoes in their washing room.

If I were to stay here again, I would book their best room and check it well before going forward. The staff and restaurant, however bad my experience was, will make me consider the Green Valley Hostel if I ever return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I was really pleased when I got to Green Valley and found they had rooms. Not only because the rest of Sapa seemed to be full but also because the rooms, despite being very basic, somehow have a charm to them. They're spotlessly clean and beds are softer than you often get in Vietnam, plus there are reasonable views from the terraces, although no chairs to sit on and enjoy them. A decent breakfast is included and staff is friendly enough.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Spent 4 nights at the Green Valley Hostel, and would certainly recommend it to anyone on a fairly strict budget. Service was up there with the friendliest we've experienced in Vietnam, and the owner/manager was very helpful with the little extras like free breakfasts, left-luggage, bus and trek-booking, etc. The rooms were not too bad, spacious and with mosquito nets and good bathrooms, but ours had some broken light fittings and one small broken window. The decor is quite basic, but for $7 per private room that is to be expected. Overall this was a good option for our tight budget. Great views over the valley too!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends