“Clean and friendly hotel”
Review of Sapa Luxury Hotel

Sapa Luxury Hotel
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Sapa
sydney
“Clean and friendly hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I agree with most of the comments from other reviewers. The hotel is comfortable and very clean. We arrived at 7.30am from the night train and we were given our room immediately even though we had booked for that night. I cant imagine walking around waiting till 2 pm as I assume you would do in a western hotel. My grown daughter and I stayed here two nights in a deluxe room (308) on the top floor. Our room had a huge window with views over the valley. The restaurant is above on the next level. There is some noise because of this with chairs etc being moved on the tiled floor above. Nothing too disturbing unless your fussy. They cleaned our room the second morning while we were away and it was spotless once again when we returned. Even little touches like rolling up our numerous cables for charging etc. I'm writing this review on the computer supplied in our room. The WiFi is really fast as well. (a bonus when it is raining for two days and you want to mess around on your iPhone etc) The breakfast as mentioned by others is very basic. Omeletes are really just fried eggs. Bread and butter with some cucumber and tomato on the side comes with everything. The juices are great, mango being my favourite. Neither of us had any stomach problems. I brushed my teeth with the water from the tap. I figured with the mountain streams and the amount of rain they get up here it would be pretty clean water. They also gave me ice in trays for the freezer when I requested them and this was also fine. It would probably be better to go for a walk and have a big breakfast somewhere else if you wanted something more elaborate. Staff in restaurant and wherever else we encounted them were always friendly. A side note; Don't get too frustrated with the village girls (Black Mong) trying to sell things to you on the streets. If you take the time to talk to them they are so funny, witty and genuinely happy people. They became a highlight of our stay, although we did buy too many bags from them because we couldn't say no to their consistent charm and effort. But $5 for a lovely gift for someone back home, and helping these lovely people feed their families, seems a no brainer to me. They really are very good sales people and they would be a relief to deal with compared to some of the sales people in our own countries)
Overall this hotel is great and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 308 has an amazing view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank marc b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The view from our room was amazing. The room was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My story is a little crazy. When we checked out, neither myself or the hotel owner or his wife thought about my passport which they still had from a few days earlier. I did not realize this until after we had made the journey back to Lo Cai and then to Hanoi where we were getting ready to take a taxi to the airport when it hit me. I panicked as one might imagine, but after a couple of phone calls, it turns out that someone from the hotel actually drove down the mountain to try to find us at the train station. When they were unsuccessful, they sent it on the train for a friend to pick up in Hanoi. That person lived close to the highway on the way out to the airport. Our taxi driver was told by the woman in the hotel lobby to stop at a point on the circle road leading out of Hanoi and we would be met by someone with my passport. After a five minute wait on the side of the very busy road, a woman road up on a bicycle and handed me my passport. We would have not been able to board the plane for our next destination if they had not gone to all of that effort. I owe them a very sincere thank you for their efforts. Thoughtful, resourceful and kind people own the Luxury Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phil_Heal
Antony, France
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Quality of rooms, service, foods and strategic location make this hotel one of my best choice when passed by SAPA during my trip throughout Vietnam.
Congrats to the director and his team.
Ambiance and gentleness make this place far above the cold and unfriendly 4* hotel in the same area.

Room Tip: Try to get the VIP room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank phuongle_11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The view from this hotel is pretty special. The hotel itself is basic but very clean. Nice and quiet and across the road from a good spa (where they do awesome massage) and some good restaurants. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Went out of their way to meet all our needs as a family and provided some very thoughtful extras. They were reliable with transfers and great at organising personal, very reasonably priced tours. Our room was ready when we arrived early in the morning after the overnight train trip. No bathmats or face washers in the room which we did miss. Breakfasts were basic but okay - pancake, eggs, bread rolls & jam, tea/coffee. Good value hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room upstairs with a view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ejfaller
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I think the previous reviewer overpaid, and I have to admit, for the prices shown on their website, I definitely would not have stayed here. After some bargaining, I paid USD 25 for a deluxe room on the 4th floor with great views. If you ask why the discount? Maybe I was a solo traveller booking a single room, maybe it was offpeak season, maybe I was staying more than 1-2 nights, maybe I bargained a bit, I dunno.

But for just 1 person, the room is pretty big, the bed is very big (if a bit hard, but you can say the same about most hotels in Vietnam). Wifi is good (although I suspect I was connecting to some neighbouring network), and there's a computer in the room with access to internet as well. And yes, the outdoor terrace is pretty much public area, you can go up to the 4th floor and use it (not that many people use it, it isn't really much of a terrace, more like a balcony with chairs and a small table).

The room I got was clean, no dust that I could see (unless you're talking about high up in the small window above the room door where I can't reach). In fact, I know they mopped the floor just before I checked in on 2 occasions. (1st time I checked in, and again when I came back from my homestays in the villages).

The floor is tiled, and it can get cold. The cold is about the only negative thing I can say about the room, but it wasn't unbearably cold. Athough if you think about it, I stayed in May, which was supposed to be getting warmer, I can only imagine how the room would like in winter.

The breakfast room is on the 5th floor, again great views there as well. But getting breakfast can be a bit tricky. They don't have a fixed breakfast time, and the staff don't stay in the breakfast room all the time so when you wanna have breakfast, you gotta look for them.
When you do manage to find them, they'll cook for you - which is a good and bad thing. Freshly cooked - good thing... but the menu is very limited - bad thing. I didn't really have much of an appetite while I was there so I had bread with butter & jam and tea. The breakfast room at breakfast time is really kinda empty. I've seen a few travellers coming up to look for food (like me) and then giving up as they couldn't really see anything they wanted (even when the staff asked them if they wanted anything). Adding an egg to my breakfast won't be a problem, but I don't know about other foods since they don't seem to have a menu anywhere, and they certainly don't look like they have a repertoire of recipes up their sleeves.

I chatted with one of the ladies (cook/housekeeper) while having breakfast, very nice and accomodating people.

A small point to note, but the goldfish tank in the breakfast room is really really low on water (tank is big though), I feel sorry for the fish (there was only 1 or 2 I think) surviving in their murky, little water environment.. According to their staff, many goldfish die every winter (>_<) I do wish they could take better care of it, it doesn't look good like that anyway.

The manager can usually be found in the hotel lobby, he will offer trekking advice or tour packages, but you don't have to feel obligated to book with them.

Overall: Room is big, clean, comes with computer and wifi, but cold.
Breakfast: Not good.
Service: No complaints, they gave me everything I asked for. They let me use their lobby computer to print out over about 20 pages of stuff, lent me an umbrella, I borrowed their wellies too. They may not have a hairdryer in the room but you can just ask for it, I think I borrowed their 2-pin adaptor as well. I could check-in early when I arrived the first day too.
Tariff: While this place's best rooms are better than some others in the area, it isn't worth what's stated on their website. If they offer you a more competitive room rate, it's a good deal.

Note: Talking about Sapa's overpriced hotels, I was about to book Sapa Rooms before this as it was my first choice. They're just as overpriced as this (maybe worse), and they aren't about to give you any discounts. I thought maybe booking one of their packages would give me a better price (staying at both Hmong Retreat and Sapa Rooms) but when I re-calculated after I misunderstood what their package includes, it isn't a good deal at all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank infrarouge
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We chose this hotel after reading all the reviews from other travellers and knowing that they won a trip advisor award.
When we got to the hotel, we were able to do an early checking. That was the only nice thing about the hotel.
Anything we touched was dusty and dirty. Lucky the bed linen was clean.
We booked the expensive room. 65 dollars thinking that it would be much better than the standard ones, but it was nearly the same. There is no air conditioning on the rooms only fans even though they state A/C available.
The private terrace anyone can use it even without booking that room.
I would not recomend anyone to stay here as there is no good reason to. Our best advice is to turn up to Sapa and have a walk round which may take you ten minutes but you can select a nicer looking one. We are currently sitting in the Chau Long Hotel waiting room for free with free showers after you check out as our hotel did allow us to use a room because we did not book a tour through them, we left them feeling very disappointed.

Room Tip: Shop around listen to your friends
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sandraorcajo
Malaysia
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I was stayed with my friend at Sapa Luxury for 2 days, they give us the room at level 3 with good view and the rooms is comfortable. The hotel just next to the entrance of Cat Cat village and just take u about 5 minutes walk to the town. I will only regret that i lost my umbrella when i put it outside my room after i back from trekking at Cat Cat Village. I did mentioned to the person in charge of the hotel, they say maybe their Vietnamese guest took my umbrella. Other than that i am sufficient to the service and the environment of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends