“It's not a hotel, it's a homestay!!!!!!”
Review of Casablanca Hotel

Casablanca Hotel
Ranked #54 of 68 Hotels in Sapa
Manchester, United Kingdom
“It's not a hotel, it's a homestay!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, arriving very early morning having just got off the night bus from Hanoi; arrived tired and grumpy, but once I arrived I received nothing but warmth and kindness. They had to clean the room before I could settle (as previous guests had recently just left) so they prepared for me breakfast which was exactly what I needed... a decent omelette and fresh baguette. Checked into the room and afterwards Mr Tom (the new owner of only one year) invited me on a free tour of Sapa town with his 18 month old daughter (who was utterly entertaining by the way) on the back of his moped. This was not expected and was great! Then he invited me to free lunch with his family - I'm starting to think there must be a catch - but there really wasn't. Eddie, one of the other workers, was such a nice guy as well [although a Chelsea fan!) ;-)

The second day I decided to go to Cat Cat village, and Mr Tom drove me to a friend of his to have some tea, which was on the way... again another nice little surprise. He would always invite me for dinner/lunch with the family which was a real nice gesture, and which I often took.. even a friend of mine who didn't stay at the hotel came round to see me was offered lunch.

The room itself was really quite nice with a great view. The only issue would be the shower which does not have an accurate thermostat, so once you get to a preferred temperature, it would rise and occasional adjustment would be needed, but no biggy! Location of the hotel is on a side street to Cau May.... perfect location.

I really cannot recommend this hotel highly enough as it is the family that really make it legendary! Good luck Mr Tom, hope you have every success! :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Taz046

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Thai first
Nakhon Si Thammarht, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
Reviewed June 4, 2013

If I had more time, basically I'd still be there. This place is an absolute gem and while the rooms are fantastic it's the staff that will make you feel so welcome and like part of the family! We extended our trip as we loved the atmosphere here. When we arrived Eddie was waiting for us at the top of the side street where the hotel is located. He took us in and sat down with us for a chat and a cup of tea. We instantly felt so comfortable and knew we'd made a good choice. We were given breakfast for free that morning and checked in to our room early. Views from the balcony were stunning and the room was cleaned daily. Breakfast is great, there is a good choice and its always served with a big smile :) we were invited for dinner with the whole family and a couple of other guests that night which was great fun. Tom, the owner is a very warm, funny guy and made us laugh lots. During our extended stay the staff helped us plan and gave us loads of great info on the area. We were sorted out with cheap scooter rental and when we checked out were given use of a room to sleep/shower in before our bus back to Hanoi (at no extra cost!) I would definitely stay at Casablanca hotel if I return to Sapa. The location is perfect, down a little side street which is quiet and the views are amazing. You will have a great time if you stay and meet some brilliant people :) thank you so much for an amazing time Tom, Eddie and everyone else at Casablanca!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan C
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We only spent the day in Sapa, so we can’t comment on the overnight accommodations, but the folks at this place hooked a middle-class white couple in their early thirties up! They let us store our bags there for the day, set us up with a cheap motorcycle rental, and gave us use of a room for relaxing and showering in at the end of the day. At no cost! The hotel right across the street from Casablanca has a nice café with a patio which was good for breakfast. Hit the market for some steamed buns filled with wild mushrooms for lunch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Can't recommend this place enough.

We were warmly greeted by 'Tom', the gaffer, on the morning we arrived, and showed upstairs for our breakfast (a very tasty omelette + baguette - these boys know how to cook). We checked into our room soon afterwards, which was comfortable and very good value with a decent view of the mountains.

Whilst the room was fine, what truly makes this place rock is the incredibly friendly service. There is a real family atmosphere here, everyone (guests + staff) is on first name terms and nothing is too much trouble. For instance, we set off to climb fanxipan at an ungodly hour (before 6) and breakfast didn't start til 7. Tom insisted that we couldn't go with an empty stomach, and arranged for one of his staff to whip something up for us before we left. Just one example of what they're all about.

Stay here, you won't regret it, and in fact you will leave with a very heavy heart. Thanks guys, and keep up the fantastic work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Walked into this hotel after the night train and were welcomed by the staff, given tea and a map of the area. They let us check into our rooms early and were really kind and helpful. We were invited to dinner the second night of our stay and so much effort went into it. Not once did we feel that we were being intruded upon though.
Just a genuinely nice group of people who run the hotel. Rooms are immaculate and comfortable. It is right in the centre of the main centre, but as it is about 20 metres down a side street (overlooking the mountains), it is private and quiet.
Would definitely return to this hotel, the owners are relatively new and are bearing the brunt of reviews from when the previous owners ran it. Definitely worth a stay. Thank you!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem really nice and comfy, rooms at the front probably have a slightly better view of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

we had an early arrival after the night train, we were greeted with breakfast and nice green tea while our rooms were got ready, also we were offered a room to shower and change in.The rooms were really big,clean and comfy. this hotel was our base for our trekking around Sapa, the guide we had was excellent, she was so friendly and showed us so much. the meals at Casablanca were fantastic, all family style dining and plenty of it! the deep fried pumpkin in batter was amazing!!! Mr Tom was a fantastic host, and he and his family were so happy to make our stay the best it could be. Thanks very much for a fantastic stay! will definately recommend to anyone venturing to Sapa.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KMorris_11
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Got this hotel through my hotel in Hanoi.
It's family run and they're really nice. As I'm travelling alone, my first night they asked me to join them for dinner.
Staff is great, although their knowledge of English is small, they want you to have a good time.
Rooms, breakfast and cleaning are good, but what really did it for me is that when I had an accident with my motorbike and got back to the hotel, the owner left his lunch to take me to the farmacy, cleaned and bandaged the wounds and went with me to help me settle the bill for the damage to the motorbike.
When I will return to Sapa, I so will stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013