“Mt Fansipan 1 day”

and up
Private Tour: half Day Silver Waterfall and Heavens Gate in Sapa
Ranked #3 of 51 things to do in Sapa
More attraction details
Owner description: Fansipan is one of the most beautiful attractions in Sapa, It is the peak of Indochina with the elevation of 3143m
Warrnambool, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Mt Fansipan 1 day”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Hi, we conquer Mt Fansipan yesterday. We paid 68 usd per person organised through a hotel plus paid our guide 15 usd tip. The trip included lunch and a foot massage. The weather was good and I would not recommending trekking if the weather is bad or wet. We were not cold during the trek but did take warm clothes, coats, hats and beanies. It all started well and the first 5 hours were fine (and soooo much fun). The trek was amazing and I can say that now I am safely down in my warm hotel room. But after 13.5 hours which only included a 30 minute stop for lunch and 2 hours trekking in the dark at the end we felt like we were going to die. Our legs and feet are aching this morning and our sore toes will prevent our free foot massages today. The weather was ok for the hike, but 20 km return trip had us crawling up and down slippery rocks and mud pools. At the 2600 meter mark I start to feel ill but after chocolate, we pushed on. As we climbed higher, I just wanted to spew as I am not good at altitude and we both had headaches on the way down.
You can do it in 2 or 3 days and stay on the mountain but the campsites are appalling and it is very cold. According to other trip adviser reviews, 1 dayers can be completed in 10 hours!! We started at 6am and finished at 7.15 pm in the dark!!! 13.5 hours including 30 min lunch break. We are 33 and 34 years old. We are very fit and have trekked many times before including Nepal Annapurna Circuit and Annapernu base camp. We were over taken by 4 men who started trekking at 7am and they would have been in their mid 20s. They drank a beer at the summit and I am sure they bounced down like mountain bunnies in the 10 hours.

Mt Fansipan was the toughest trek I have ever done. Loved the first 7 hours more than the last 7 hours!!!
Proud of our achievement, but will never never ever ever do it again.

An extremely painful trek will test you endurance to the max.

Just do it!!
Amazing landscape and beauty all above the clouds.

One more thing - without a guide we would have definitely got lost. He also had a torch to get us through the last 2 hours in the dark.

Visited November 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fansipan in a Day”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I recently (October 2013) climbed Mt Fansipan in 1 day. We are both in our 30s and consider ourselves moderately fit, and have done some (not a lot of) mountain climbing before. The day we did the trek was wet and cold, so unfortunately we didn't get much of a view, but the satisfaction gained from reaching the top (and bottom again!) was incredible and totally worth it.

The climb itself was very challenging, especially once we were wet and cold. It took us 11 hours from start to finish (6am-5pm), including just over an hour (total) in rest stops.

On a fine day, I think the climb would have been mildly easier, but do not kid yourself - this is not an easy trek for inexperienced climbers. We definitely struggled at times, especially with the steep downhill sections on tired legs, and the overall mental exhaustion of going at it for such a long time without many rest stops.

There is the option to do the climb over 2-3 days. We were very very glad we decided to complete the trek in 1 day as the camps are awful, especially in the bad weather. In fine weather, it would probably be a more pleasant experience, but trekkers we met who had stayed on the mountain overnight had had a miserable experience - it was just too cold.

Make sure you take warm clothing - I was the only one in our group that had gloves and the others were all very envious by the time we reached the summit. It's proper cold up top, especially if there is rain.

Make sure you put everything in waterproof protection - our pack got soaked through, including all our spare clothing, so by lunchtime we had no dry clothing to change into, which would have made the descent a lot more bearable.

Most of the guides offer lunch, but take snacks as well. We enjoyed snickers and bananas along the way. You can buy drinks at the camps - more expensive than town for obvious reasons, around 50k VND for soft drink.

In summary, climbing Fansipan (despite the weather) was the highlight of our trip. It was well worth it, without a doubt. Just don't approach it too lightly - come prepared and if possible, hold out for a fine day! Have fun! :-) (I also recommend reading the post below: "a guide to the no guide trek"...we found it helpful and it inspired us to have a go!)

Visited October 2013
8 Thank Julia M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Be aware...”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just came down the mountain today... Honestly if you aren't upto a good physical challenge and dot have nerves of steal dont even consider this (maybe during this time of year only?)... It poured rain, there are hundreds of cliffs and wet, slippery rock faces you have to climb up and down... It rained the entire time, te camps are disgusting and leak and are full of mice! I would honestly suggest bringing your own sleeping bag and triple the water they suggest!! Go as light as possible with your pack but bring some basic rain gear and warm clothes as it gets pretty cold up there! About 60% of people don't make it to the summit! Please be careful and make sure you know what you're up for! Sapa sells and rest gear in town but it's all knock off north face, but it should still do the trick... Good luck!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Trevor_stone
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“It was hell but it was worth it!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was a very inexperienced trekker at that time and I was not really planning to climb Fansipan. However, I was leaving Hanoi for a job in Philippines so I didn't know when I would have another chance to be on the highest peak of Indochina. Then I just went for it. Man, it was hell! My companions were very healthy, fit and they were already very used to trekking or climbing so I was always 1 hour behind them trying to catch up.
Like most of mountains, there are several trails to go up and we took the easiest.
Usually, the hotel in Sapa has this service of arranging for a Fansipan trekking since it's a very well-know activity there. However, the hotel we stayed in refused to provide the service because it was raining hard on that day, But we didn't want to wait so we arranged with another guy who seemed to run his own business. He called up some of his frequent guides. Then, we had 1 guide and 2 porters for our group of 5. And of course, they also provided vehicle to the starting point of the trek.
We started trekking around 10 am and reached the first camp on 2200 m around 2 pm.
It was the long weekend so we were told that there were many people on 2800 m camp and there was not enough room so we'd better stay down here for the night. So we stayed. The next morning, we started around 6am and reach camp 2800 m around 10am and continued trekking to the peak and we reached the peak around 2pm. Then we headed back to camp 2800 m and stayed the night there. The next day, we finished the trek around noon.
We were blessed with good weather all the way in spite of a little bit rain at the beginning. The view from the peak is just magnificent! The sky was clear and sunny when we reached the peak. It was really rewarding.
Be prepared that it is always very very very cold and windy at night even when you are inside the camp. None of us was able to sleep properly for 2 nights. Sleeping bag is a must.
Along the trail, we had to cross many streams and since it is also a rain forest so of course the surrounding is always very humid and wet.
It's pretty easy to get to Sapa. There are 2 options: train and bus.
Train: you can go directly to Hanoi train station (in Vietnamese: Ga Hà Nội) to buy tickets to Lao Cai province (if it's a night train, try to get the berth, lower bed, at least you'll get some sleep) Then when you arrive at Lao Cai station, there're always many mini vans that can take you to downtown Sapa where there are many hotels and guesthouses.
Bus: there are also buses with bunk beds that you can take to Sapa at night. The good thing of taking the bus is that it takes you directly to downtown Sapa. It's super easy to catch a bus, just go to My Dinh terminal (in Vietnamese Bến xe Mỹ Đình) and take the buses with Lao Cai or Sapa on them.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Nhu_Phuong
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Trekking Fansipan”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

After 9 hours on an overnite train from Hanoi, the 4 of us, my wife, 21 and 15 yrs-old sons and myself reached Lao Cai train station to start our 3-day 2-nite trekking of Fansipan. We had a guide, Mr Giang, and 4 porters who also help carried our 2 backpacks.

Unlike Mt Kinabalu or Mt Rinjani, to reach the base at 2 800m we had to cross streams, climb over metal ladders, and up and down numerous hill or mountain slopes. We were lucky to be blessed with fine weather throughout.

At 2 800 m where we put up for the nite, the campsite had running water but the toilet was unusable. The Hmong women set up a stall to sell can drinks. It was that time that I decided not to climb Fansipan the next day. Instead my sons did the ascent at 4 am with my guide and 2 porters. They were rewarded with scenes of beautiful sunrise. We headed for Sapa town after they returned from their climb which took about 4 hours.

We spend our second nite at Chau Long Sapa Hotel. Though a 3-star hotel, it certainly has a 5-star service. The rooms we had have no air-con otherwise they were clean and spacious. The food at the restaurant was good and inexpensive. I will definitely choose this hotel if I come to Sapa again.

Sapa has numerous shops selling 'North Face' products. A usual pack pack cost US$10/-. Just not sure if they are the genuine stuff. We had a free afternoon the next day before heading back to Hanoi. Our kind guide, Mr Giang, took us to visit Catcat Village.

The rest of our 7-day trip see us crusing overnite in Halong Bay on the Imperial Junk Boat and a nite at Hanoi Boutique Hotel. The trip is certainly one of my best holidays with my family.

Visited June 2013