“Trekking up Fansipan”

and up
Half-Day Tour of Hoang Lien National Park and Sin Chai Village from Sapa
Ranked #3 of 49 things to do in Sapa
More attraction details
Owner description: Fansipan is one of the most beautiful attractions in Sapa, It is the peak of Indochina with the elevation of 3143m
europe
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Trekking up Fansipan”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

It is very difficult. Do not try it after three days of almost no sleep. We did it with no rain and I would not want to attempt it in the rain.

Visited May 2012

• Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Conquer Fansipan - Inspire your life”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Fansipan - the highest mountain of Indochina wih 3.143m. Until now I don't believe I have conquered it. It spent 2 days 1 night to conquer. My friend and I have started at Tram Ton ( the way for the beginners) ^^ and have take rest lunch at 2200m, spend night at 2800m. it's lack of water, foods, electric and you're used 300% your ability to go. Sometimes I want to give up. But friends ( people are friendly, although you've never met them before) give me inspiration to continue and you will the life is beautiful. I forget my weakness, forgot my tired and still continue. When you go to the peak, everything is under your foot ^^. Great. It's marvelous. The life is really great.
Although that's short time but it's given me energy to fight with the life and change my attitude. Just enjoy life ^^.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank VanUK2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“1 Day trek”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I did the trek in one day also.Im not that fit and even started two hours late because of a delayed booking. We made it up and back in eight hours, 1 hour to camp 1, two hours more to camp 2, lunch for 30 mins and then an hour to the top.After the top returned to camp 2 and then the rest of the trek was relatively easy compered to what went on before.It is a difficult trek, but not impossible. I am not too fit and still managed one day.The camps looked really rough and I would not have fancied a night in either. I would definitely say if it is the mountain alone you want to trek then do it in a day or two max. I paid 70usd, which I felt was too much but at the time there was no groups going up so I had to do it private.I booked it through green valley, but I would not reccommend them. Guide spoke no english and was too young to drive us to the mountain so I had to drive and even had to share my water with him cos he was parched and they gave him none, which left me short.

Visited May 2012
5 Thank eoiners
Vancouver, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“one day is a challenge but doable with reasonable fitness and determination”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I did this as a one day hike. In hindsight I think the cost was too much considering the guide really doesn’t do any guiding. But since I was alone they said it cost more. The trail is clearly marked and I really think you could just take a taxi up to the start, get your permit, and go on your own. There should be others to follow. As to the difficulty, it was certainly a killer hike but at no point did I think “I don’t know if I can do this.” I don’t consider myself in great shape either. I’m 43, and do get lots of cardio exercise…like a few times a week…but it had been a month since I’d done anything. So based on some of the other descriptions of the one day trek I was feeling a little daunted when I set out. On the taxi ride up to the start I felt I was going to my execution. To make things worse, my hotel said the guide would bring lunch and water but not soon after starting when I asked for water he said he had none! I’d only brought 50,000 dong on me and that was just enough to buy a large water bottle at the first camp. I downed it and filled it up again at the camp watering hole after my guide said it was good to drink. And true to his word, I never had any reaction to it. We set off at 630, an hour later were at camp 1, and by 830 we were at camp 2 (which is more of a dump than camp 1 in my opinion). By 10 we were at the summit and by 230 all the way back down and finished. So about eight hours. And that included about an hour of breaks for lunch and rest at the camps and 15 minutes at the summit. I got lucky and it was perfectly clear all the way but that also had its drawback. Between the 1st and 2nd camps you hit a long stretch in open country as you climb/descend and I got burned despite numerous sunscreen applications. I definitely recommend a hat if it’s sunny. Bottom line, if you’re reasonably fit you should be able to do it but it will definitely be a challenge. And you’ll be a little whobbly kneed at the end. If you do the 2 day trek (in no way do I recommend 3 days…I think that’s a ploy to get more cash out of you and totally unnecessary unless you’re on crutches), I’d recommend (as another reviewer said) hiking all the way to the summit on the first day and staying at 2nd camp on the way down and walking out in the morning. Any other way and I feel you’d be stuck in a camp for an unreasonable amount of time twiddling your fingers. Bring water, some of your own food because the grub they fed me was worth about $1 (greasy ham, some bananas, and that junk enriched white bread).

Visited April 2012
11 Thank Straitgate
London
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I did the three day trek with my brother in Feb 2005. We opted for three day as I haven't hiked before so wasn't sure what to expect but i would strongly recommend the two day trip.
The trip started by being picked up at 10am from our hotel and driven to a base park. It was a reasonably long drive (or maybe I was just excited) but i think it must have been about 30 mins to get to the starting point by car from Sapa.
The trip I thought was cheap roughly 30USD each for the whole thing.

The trek was done in a few stages, the first was to a break hut about 10km from starting point. This was followed by 15km walk to the base camp. It was all pretty comfortable apart from the first bit but I put that down to rustiness on my part. Battery acid in my legs, but after the first sit down I didn't suffer too much after.

Once you reach base camp, it was settle down for the night with a nice spread of different dishes. The hut was bamboo and not too comfortable but i think that was part fo the enjoyment of semi-roughing it. The camp was neat, they had a pit for a toilet but once it gets dark will be impossible and not advisable to try and use.

The second day was to the summit and then back to the base camp. This wasn't so much of a trek but an actual climb (not a difficult climb) but you couldn't walk up. There were a lot of parts where I had to use tree roots and rock faces to climb to higher points. And before the summit there was a 15ft to 20ft rope climb up a rock face. It was all very enjoyable and not dangerous. Our guide (who's name I can no longer remember) was very good and stayed with us all the way, only the porter went on ahead. The guide will be remembered for having the same immaculate white shirt from day one to three with out so much as a crease, while i was on t-shirt number three and covered in dirt.

Coming back down was quick and easy, I would say less than an hour back to base camp, although we did rush as we tried to convert it to a two day hike but with no luck. We were finished very early for the day with nothing to do and I think it can be comfortably done in two days so would advise against the three.

The walk back to a village was slightly difficult at first as legs were heavy and two nights with minimal sleep on a bamboo bed didn't help. But after the intial ridges to get up, it is a welcome downhill walk along the ridge of the mountain with spectacular views. The walk on the third day was quite short I would say about 10 to 15km, we were picked up by car at a local village to be driven back to Sapa.

I would advise bringing a couple of cheap t-shirts from the local Sapa market and then just throw them out on your return. I would also bring some basic equipment, water is a must but this can be picked up at base camp and the first stop on day 1 but it is pricey but then again someone did hump it 20 to 30km into the middle of nowhere so you don't have to so i best not complain. Bring a toothbrush/paste and not much else, just accept you won't be clean until you get back to Sapa but the shower on the third day is sooooooo worth it.

Visited May 2011