“Real home feelings”

Baguette & Chocolat
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sapa
Baguette & Chocolat
Ranked #69 of 149 Specialty Lodging in Sapa
Reviewed November 17, 2010

With all the accommodation facilities available in Sapa, I was rather lost in choosing which one would be the best. Living in Vietnam, I was especially keen on being away from the permanent noise you encounter all over the country.

After having read numerous reviews around, I found out this little place (only 4 rooms, named after several cookies/bakeries) which was also giving a chance to disadvantaged youth in the area. Because of its social purpose and because of the great promise of a pleasurable breakfast, I decided to book. Lucky enough, in spite of the short notice, I managed to get a room, which was overlooking a garden and the mountain chains opposite Sapa. It was very quiet and the bedding excellent, I had relaxing nights. The room is simply furnished, it reminded me my room as a kid back in my parents home. It is rather cold at this time of the year, so the duvet is really welcome (no sign of heater but maybe upon request at the reception). Although you are 5 minutes walk to the market and center, you are far enough to enjoy the quiet peace.

When it comes to the food, as that is what Baguette & Chocolat is famous for, I would say they do not disappoint. I enjoyed throughly my meals there (I ate almost exclusively there, as the value, the choice, the atmosphere were great). They are producing fantastic bakeries with aromatic local honey. I paid 20 USD per night inculding breakast, benefitted from early check in, and if I can't say the English was perfect, it is easy to get understood as long as you are ready to try and communicate.

I have been appaled by the number of guests disrespectful and losing temper because their requests were not immediately understood. Paying so low prices, we have to be fair, those kids are there to learn and get a chance of career in life and we are not talking to English native speakers.

Some other recommendation though, do not book a transfer from Lao Cai station, unless it is part of your package, because I waited 3 hours in the cold night there, waiting for my minibus to get full. It is easier at arrival to wait for any minibus being full and embark on it. Beside, I was recommended to book a tour at Pinocchio hotel, a great tour, without a doubt, however, I found out that it was outsourced and you could book it directly with another agent (I don't know which one but the tourist ofice should be able to help) for cheaper price.

All in all, Sapa was a great escape, dramatic views and great people. I will definitely return to Baguette et Chocolat, even if the construction thus new options are booming there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Baguette & Chocolat

Reviewed May 26, 2010

Our stay in this hotel was weird. We like the breakfast, although some of the bread elements are rather old..., the atmosphere of the restaurant and the hotel is nice as well and the rooms small but nice.
The service we did not like. They seemed to forget who we are every time we asked for the key. They did not have many guest, so how hard can it be. They lost other information as well. The internet-which they say they had- was in a small room in the cafe. It was awkward to go there and most of the time staff was working there and you really needed to ask if you could use it, before they would let you. And indeed cockroaches there....
Another bad point are the beds. They should definitely change the mattresses. I really slept badly.
one of the reason is also that the hotel is rather noisy. The restaurant closes late (11) and starts early. As they were moving furniture, it was hard to sleep. And the hotel is located in a curve which means a lot of traffic noise.
So overall, I don't know wether I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eh81
Reviewed April 12, 2010

If you want to support an awesome cause, stay here - eat here. You'll leave wanting to stuff your bag full pastries and tip better than you have throughout your trip.

The purpose of baguette & chocolat is one of the few good and beneficial aspects to tourism in this country. The students being trained are eager to do well, so be nice.

The accommodations are not luxurious, but it is private room with a bed and bathroom with a cafe and restaurant downstairs. It is on the upper side of the hill, so it is cooler and away from the bustling little town.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Baguette and Chocolat is a 4 bedroom B&B run by teenagers who are trying to make a difference in their lives. The coffee shop (on the bottom floor) is the best in town offering genuine home made cakes and great mugs of tea/coffee/chocolate etc.

The rooms are really big - as are the beds, serviced daily. We stayed in ''Coookies" room. Cable TV is also included. The guesthouse is set just up the top of some stairs but close enough to the bars, restaurants and shops.

Sapa is a great place to visit and it was nice to come back to a friendly place with a clean room.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We have not stayed in the place, but we checked the rooms to stay there. The bathrooms were nice, rooms simply furnished, but clean. The price we were told was USD 22 per room. The rooms are not spacious, so nothing for a family. But a great plus the hotel is situated in a very quiet street, u do not need your ear plugs :-).
The food downstairs was great, you could sit outside, but the sitting area inside is cosy, modern and lots of light.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AngkorGems
Reviewed January 21, 2010

this place was amazing. the food was insanely delicious and the place was so cosy especially since it was practically freezing outside. great place to sit with your hot chocolate by the window and people watch. the rooms were even more welcoming. electric blankets and a heater in the room kept us warm and snug at night. wonderful bathroom with amenities and great service. totally worth every penny!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We spent 2 nights at Baguette et Chocolat while exploring Sapa and enjoyed our time there. They helpfully arranged transfer from the train station in Lao Cai. After the overnight train from Hanoi it was heaven to relax over a good French breakfast and have a long hot shower when our room became available at about 10am! There are only 4 rooms, so pays to book in advance. We stayed in the "brioche" room, which was clean and comfortable, with a good bathroom and a nice view. Breakfast was included in the price, was about $25 US (I think!). We really enjoyed the food, especially the breads and pastries.There was internet available for guests to use. Our one concern was there were tiny cockroaches running around the restaurant area and in the kitchen where food was served as well; fortunately none in our room. Baguette et chocolat is a not-for-profit venture which trains disadvantaged youth in hospitality; although service was sometimes on the slow side it always came with a smile and we enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple