All reviews other guests rice fields indonesian lunch unforgettable moments perfect combination mango juice lovely hosts chef creates organise trips home away from home video analysis shared room nusa lembongan every guest body and soul amazing team magical place
Selected filters
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

I never write reviews but thought great places need to be recognised !

I stayed there a week and had the Get it all package - mix of surf & yoga.

The place: Pelan Pelan is situated in a lovely place in the middle of rice field, away from busy Canggu which makes it the ideal place to relax. However, should you want or need to go to Canggu, the receptionists will happily organise a taxi for you. I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was perfect: clean, spacious and comfy bed. The atmosphere is very chilled, friendly and great place to meet people from all over the world.

The staff: they truly are what makes this place so special. Emma, Putu & all the staff and surf instructors are the best. They really make you feel at home and part of a family. They always make sure you have everything you need, organise trips for you if you want to and order food in for you for those nights when you are too tired to go out.

The Surf: I was a total beginner, having never been on a surf board before and I absolutely loved it !! I was initially more attracted to Yoga but ended up loving surfing even more. The surf instructors are incredible: amazing teachers, very patient but still push you a bit out of your comfort zone (in a good way). They took us to a very quiet spot (only us for the whole week). They film you once a week and then give you coaching advice. I think the normal ratio is one instructor for 2/3 persons but as they were only a few beginners when I was there, I had private lessons nearly for the whole week !

The Yoga: I had 4 sessions (one of which was a mediation). All led by different teachers and different types of yoga so there is something for everyone. Again great quality teachers.

The food: delicious breakfasts and lunches, freshly cooked (the chef goes to the market everyday). They are also very accommodating with different dietary requirements.

I absolutely loved my stay here and wished I could have stayed longer. Thank you so so much Pelan Pelan for a wonderful stay and making me discover surfing, I’ll be back !‍♀️

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
PelanPelanTeam, Owner at Pelan Pelan - Surf and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2018

We are very happy that you took the time to write us a review. Thank you so much.
It’s wonderful to read all your postitive words about the retreat, the staff, the surf, the Yoga, and the food. All the topics that we think are important for a perfect holiday at Pelan Pelan. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are looking forward to see you back!

Take care and big hugs from the Pelan Pelan family.

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Get it all package.

Trying to justify the sheer quality and beauty of Pelan Pelan in a few paragraphs in nearly impossible.

Staff: They state that they are not a business but that they are a family. That is so true, from the moment you arrive till the moment you leave you are made to feel part of the family. All of the staff are extremely nice, polite and helpful. Nothing is too much hassle and they are all so friendly

Surf: The surfing experience and teachings are of the highest quality. I had never been to a surf camp before and within one week they had me learning on whites and by mid week I was on a 3-4 foot green. They take videos to analyse your style and give you helpful pointers on the way. I just wish we had booked two weeks rather than one.

Yoga: I have to admit I had never done yoga before, and I still haven’t. I did not partake in it but my partner did and she absolutely loved it. She said the progression was really good and she really enjoyed the meditation too.

Rooms: we had the suite with an outdoor shower which was literally picturesque. The cleanliness of the rooms was to a very high standard, and surpassed any pre conceived expectations I had. Hot water and aircon was working very well.

Food: there was daily breakfast and the much needed post surf lunch provided. They were freshly cooked and were exquisite. Gave you a real taste of fresh Balinese Home cooked food. Definitely picture worthy. The only down side was the breakfast was a little too small for a growing lad like myself but I asked them to add in extras for a little extra cost which did me just fine. The problem you will have is deciding which delicious dish you want for breakfast the net day as they get in the ingredients fresh to order (first world problems).

There are scooters which are free to use which are kept in very good condition from r the short nip into Canggu for your evening meal.

The pool is very clean and the grounds are kept to such a high standard.

In all this was my first surf camp experience and as a couple we have decided to make Pelan Pelan our home for a couple of weeks every year from now on, provides that the staff and management remain the same.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PelanPelanTeam, Owner at Pelan Pelan - Surf and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

Thank you so much for these loving words. It brings big smiles to our faces to get a review like this about your stay in Pelan Pelan. And we are so happy that you have decided to make Pelan Pelan your home for a couple of weeks every year. We cannot wait for you guys to be back !
It was great to see you improving so fast and having so much fun with the surfing. Next time we hope you will try your first yoga class as well haha.

Big hugs,
Your little family in Bali

Reviewed September 3, 2018

I booked the surf package and stayed for 1 week at Pelan Pelan and everything was wonderful! Being a solo traveler I was a little worried about coming to a new place and not knowing anyone, but honestly, the staff and other guests were so welcoming.

The full surf package was great as I wanted to get in a few extra surf lessons - and the ability to go on the weekend, with less guests was also good as we got to spend a bit more time in the water. I cannot rate the surf instructors highly enough! They were so sweet and fun and I felt totally safe with them at all times. In most instances we had one instructor to one guest. The instructors are all very professional and respectful (some other instructors we saw in the water were not as professional, so perhaps be careful if you don't go to Pelan!)

All of the staff at the resort were so, so friendly and more than happy to answer any question or help with any request (thanks Meita and Rani!!). All staff took the time to learn each guests name and were genuinely interested in our travels and experience of Bali. The food was delicious and always lovingly prepared (thanks Kis!)

Coming from Australia, Bali can sometimes have a bad wrap, but Pelan Pelan exceeded all of my expectations and gave me a wonderful insight into this beautiful country and people. From the beautiful surrounding rice fields, to the relaxed pool side environment, super friendly and helpful staff it really was a blessing to spend time here and get to know this amazing part of Bali and welcoming people. I will be back!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
PelanPelanTeam, Owner at Pelan Pelan - Surf and Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review about your stay at Pelan Pelan. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we cannot wait for you to be back.

We are very thankful to hear that you enjoyed the surfing so much. It’s very important to us to continiously train our surfguides, so we are very happy to hear that you feel their professionality and feel safe with them in the water.

It’s also great to hear that you felt so good with the friendliness of our staff and ofcourse the food at Pelan Pelan. We really appreciate it !

Ones again thank you and see you soon back.

Big hugs,
Pelan Pelan family

Reviewed September 3, 2018

What can I say...Absolutely Perfect Vacation!:)
I booked the Yoga Relax Package and was totally satisfied with it.
Airport Pick Up and Drop Off went really smooth and easy.

The retreat itself is in quiet area in the rice fields near Canggu (12min by car/ scooter)

All the staff had such big hearts and knew everyones Name by heart and it created such a lovely atmosphere.
Rooms were very clean and the bed was very comfy. A/C worked very well and was extremely quiet.

Breakfast and Lunch were really good.

Did a Surf Lesson to just try...it defiantly tickled my interest to do more in the future.

Had two Cooking Classes with Kis, which was amazing. Such a awesome guy with a lot of patience. :) Thanks for the amazing recipes.

This could go on and on...

Thanks Emma, Putu, Mita, Rani, Kis, Ketut, Silla :) I will miss you guys.

You have a beautiful Retreat. Don't change anything! Its absolutely perfect. Keep spreading the love.
Thank You for a perfect vacation.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Wauw thank you for these amazing words about your stay at Pelan Pelan.
We are so happy to hear that you had an absolutely perfect holiday at our retreat.

We really appreciate that you felt the friendliness of our big hearted staff, cleanliness of the rooms, breakfast and lunch, the cooking classes with Kis and even the surflesson! It brings smiles of our faces to read your review! We will keep spreading the love and we hope that you will come back to stay with us ones again soon!

Big hugs from all of us at Pelan Pelan

Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

I started my travel in Indonesia at Pelan Pelan and couldn't imagine a better start. I booked the surf&yoga package, which was a perfect combination: During the week surfing in the morning and in the afternoon yoga or meditation. Combined with relaxing massages - perfect! At the weekend your muscles can relax - or you can just book an additional surf or yoga lesson :-) As I didn't have any experience in surfing before I considered at home to just book the yoga package. But I'm so happy that I did the combination with surf. It was so much fun in the group with the instructors and the other guests, including seeing the progress of everyone. I really loved it.

Breakfast and lunch are delicious. And I really liked the location in the middle of the ricefields. It's such a peaceful and relaxing place - the motto "Forget everything - just for today" truly works out.

Last but not least: the joy of a travel is made by people you share the time or the place with for a while. I met a lot of beautiful people here - the other guests and all lovely members of the Pelan team.

All in all I really loved this place, so I extended my stay and even came back within my travel.
Thanks to Emma and Putu and the whole team! Will come back :-)

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review your stay with us at Pelan Pelan. It was great to see you improving and enjoying the surfing so much. And specially when you came back again, we saw a big progress and everyday so much fun (specially during the video analyses with Charlotte;))

It’s so great to hear that you loved our retreat location in the ricefields, breakfast and lunch, and specially the peoples at our retreat, guests and the Pelan Pelan family. We hope to see you back again soon. Take care and big hugs from all of us!

Pelan Pelan family