“Shakti Dance Retreat at Desa Seni”

Desa Seni, A Village Resort
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Canggu
Bali, Indonesia
“Shakti Dance Retreat at Desa Seni”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

In December I was lucky enough to hold a dance retreat at Desa Seni with my teacher Colleena Shakti. We were 27 women participating in a week long belly dance and Indian dance fusion intensive. I can't thank Tom and the DS team enough for the seamless, genuine service that we were given. All the women left feeling the magic of the combination of teaching and environment that only Colleena and Desa Seni could provide. The dance studio is huge, tucked away privately at the back of the resort surrounded by the lush garden, with a solid wooden floor, high ceiling and huge mirrors. The staff were always helpful and available - from bringing us extra flowers for the altar, to helping the girls go to the ATM, to decorating the studio for our Friday night event. The food was healthy and delicious and always ready right on time. The accommodation was done as triple share, and the girls were all very comfortable and impressed with the level of accom for the price. Many told me that they had never stayed in such a gorgeous place before! Everything went perfectly and everyone wants to come again for the next one. Desa Seni is the perfect place to hold retreats. It is one of the most beautiful resorts in Bali, and the service is so good that as an organiser, you don't have to worry about anything and can actually devote yourself to your participants, your study and your teacher.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PoisonBabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After Considerable research, I decided on the Desa Seni Detox
.Detoxification in chinese medicine is acheived by acupunture,Chinese herbs and a specific diet.
Dr Thomas, a western trained M.D. .and Certified acupunturist has created this amazing system.
He is part of the Desa Seni team
The 8 day detox is a carefully orchestrated plan including 3 delicious meals a day, morning and afternoon .snacks, as much yoga as I wanted to do ,massages, reflexology and so much more.!
The gorgeous surroundings , and my beautifully appointed house certainly added to the entire experience.
The staff were all so efficent and friendly and were there promptly for my every need.
Also Nia classes ( an exhilarating fusion, of dance, martial arts and fabulous music)
has started that week thus I did 3 of those classes too.I had the choice of yoga classes daily.
I was a very busy girl.
2012 was a very difficult year for me emotionally and physically, thus I wanted to
, re charge myself, ease my addiction to presciption sleep medication and get back on a healthy eating plan. ,
I did all of that and lost 4 pounds too! Im on week 3 back in the real world and things are great. I am sleeping soundly, have lost another 4 pounds and my energy is amazing.
Anyone considering change in their life check the Desa Seni Detox out. It can be truly life changing

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jackie M
Sydney
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Loved the 7 Day Cleanse so much I extended it to 10!
From the daily yoga, amazing acupuncture, tailored massages, salt scrubs and cupping along with the detox teas and delicious organic meals, this cleanse gave me results I hadnt experienced before. Desa Seni staff were all so attentive and kind, and the highly qualified acupuncturist provided a level of daily treatment that was amazing, The spa is gorgeous. I wasn't expecting! such a totally all round program that felt so good.
I looked and felt better than I have done in years. The resort itself is just heaven and is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michele L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I signed up for the 3-nights village getaway package - this was great value as it included almost all meals, a spa/massage session and unlimited yoga sessions. Service was top notch - the kind where if you sit down by the 20m lap pool, a glass of water mysteriously appears by your side within minutes! The yoga sessions were great, with some rated to allow you to decide if the level is sufficiently advanced/not-so-advanced for your level. Food was also tip-top with lots or organic veggie grown right onsite! Altogether,a very realxing 3-4days in a serene location, very friendly and helpful staff. The wifi is unreliable - but maybe that's just so you can enjoy being disconnected for a while! Definitely worth a return trip

David and Maureen
Singapore

Room Tip: Unless you like a lot of peace and solitude, ask for a chalet a little closer to the main building h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I know it sounds like a bit of a cliché but Desa Seni is really what one would imagine paradise to look like: lush gardens, flowers everywhere, birds, butterflies, you really feel connected with nature there. We stayed for 4 nights at the Shiva house which was very pretty, with a front porch where I enjoyed breakfast a couple of times which was lovely. A large part of the produce used at the restaurant is grown on site and the food is delicious and super healthy. As a guest you can participate in all the classes (yoga, meditation etc) that take place at the beautiful outdoor pavilion that is surrounded by the gardens which it a totally different experience to practicing yoga indoors back home. Apart from all the beauty of the resort the main thing for me was the atmosphere of calm and connection with nature that is difficult to describe in a review, you have to experience it for yourself! We stayed in Bali for 2 weeks and this was definitely the highlight!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kerobokan, Indonesia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Desa Seni is truely one of the most magical places I have ever stayed. Set within lush green gardens and surrounded by a peaceful and calming energy, my 2 night stay left me feeling completely revived and refreshed. Widja, the antique wooden home I stayed in was like a magical treehouse you dream of. The yoga and meditation classes were wonderful and I loved the outdoor setting and flow of fresh air. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten in Bali, it was fresh, delicious and healthy and everything on the menu sounds amazing. The spa was ultimate heaven and I left with a stash of the beautiful smelling incense from my room that I purchased at their gift shop. Thank you Desa Seni, i will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a wondeful stay at Desa Seni. Geat house (Rumah Bendi), very (child) friendly and flexible staff, relaxed athmosphere, excellent organic food, lush green grounds yet only 10 minutes to the action in Seminyak.

Peter.