“peaceful,beautiful,relaxing”

Desa Seni, A Village Resort
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Canggu
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Desa Seni is the most magical place to unwind and escape.The attention to detail is incredible.We enjoyed the daily yoga,breakfast on our verandah,beautiful gardens, delicious organic food grown on the premises,relaxing by the pool with yummy drinks and indulging in the spa packages.The staff were so friendly,attentive and welcomed our 2 year old daughter with open arms.She had a ball swimming in the pool and exploring the gardens.We took the free bicycles and went exploring the local area which was great fun.We can`t wait to vist Desa Seni again soon.

1  Thank Amanda M

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been here many times for yoga classes and also the occasional drink or meal by the pool just to soak up the atmosphere and beauty. It is a very special place. An experience just to see it. I have only briefly seen inside a couple rooms, but it looks like a lovely place to stay too.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Droogi
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Desa Seni is a perfect spot to hold a yoga retreat or if you are looking for a home away from home. The grounds are so special and the accomodation is organic and comfortable. Pool side is the place to be to relax and get cool. I would request the mosquito nets right from the get go as my son was unfortunately attacked badly throughout one evening along with my husband and I. The staff at Desa Seni are to be commended for their service and warmth. I am grateful for them as without them I am sure our stay wouldn't have been so pleasant as I found upper mangement not as friendly and approachable. The food is SO delicious and the fact they grow their own organic produce is to be commended. It does strike a cord with me though that such an amazing place is owned by someone who didn't even make the effort to come and say hello and welcome me after many months of contact in organising my yoga retreat there. My students absoloutely loved the location and it added to the wonderful experience we had together. I just hope that is continues to be the lovely place that it is.

Room Tip: Some homes are much smaller than others, with some having less natural light than others. and some a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Carmela L
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I rarely write reviews of the places in which I stay but made an exception in this case since I want all who read this to know how special Desa Seni is. We stayed for a week and could happily not have left the grounds. The setting is beautiful and the food (much of which is grown organically on the premises) exceptional. However it the staff that make this place so special. They were incredible and particularly accommodating towards our 3 year old son. We are already dreaming of our next visit.

2  Thank Chris E
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was looking for a yoga retreat and I stayed at Desa Seni with my 20 year old daughter. The uniqueness of this resort is special. The homes and their contents are from the surrounding region focusing on antiques and the history of this area. We attended classes twice a day, used the spa facilities, and pool. We left the resort one time in 4 days and after only shopping in Semanyak for 2 hours, we decided to go back to the tranquility offered at this resort. The resturaunt offered a variety of cuisine. We probably tried just about everything during our stay. Great staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bendi, close to the pool.
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It was love at first sight when I arrived at Desa Seni! I was lucky enough to stay in this magical place earlier this month with 2 friends.

Upon arrival we were quickly checked in, then given a tour of the beautiful grounds and bungalow hut (Wisnu) by Wayan. Shortly after we were given welcome drinks - a delicious concoction of berries and coconut juice - and some snacks. We enjoyed our drinks on our verandah taking in the beauty of the place. Our beautiful bungalow hut had my favourite bathroom of my travels, great shower pressure, big spacious and airy - didn't leave me feeling claustrophobic as many hotel showers do - and I liked that the toilet was hidden away behind a half wall. Wisnu was big enough for the 3 of us, no inside lounge area as an extra bed was placed where I think the couch would have been originally - but you're in Bali, so really no need to be couped up inside. Plus there's the lovely verandah with seating and 2 private sunchairs just in front.

There is a beautiful big saltwater pool with plenty of space and chairs around the pool for sunbaking, or if you prefer to be in the shade there are really cool bales where you can escape the sunshine. While we were there the resort was full, there weren't ever all that many people around and always had a serene vibe about the place.

The restaurant is fantastic too. They serve up delicious breakfasts - I had the pesto toast with poached eggs which was delicious! And I love their raw salad so so much - Fresh vegies including coconut shavings and raisans. I think I read that 80% of their fresh produce is grown right there on the grounds too!

Great yoga classes throughout the day in the open air yoga room that are included in the cost of staying - I absolutely adored Manuella. She is an incredible teacher! Another lovely touch - after the 4pm yoga class they would scatter flower petals along the walk way out. It's all the little things, and all the little details that make this place so perfect.

Location wise, it's not for you if you want to be in the heart of the action. But Canguu is only a short and very cheap cab ride to and from Seminyak. So if you want an escape, with an option of heading into the busier areas for dinner etc this location is perfect. You can't really walk safely anywhere from here as there isn't a walking path, but if you are a bike/motorcycle rider you can get around pretty easily.

My friend I was travelling with booked in for a spa treatment, and it was a man giving the massage which she wasn't comfortable with. It was originally a woman showing her around the spa area, so she didn't realise it was going to be a man until she was already naked. So just bear in mind it might be a man massaging you at the spa so if you're not going to be comfortable, just check with the staff when booking.

Service from everyone we encountered was lovely and definitely one of the best experiences I have had in Bali - often the genuinely friendly warm staff who would just stop for a chat. We loved it so much we wanted to extend our stay, but sadly they were booked out for the days following.

Desa Seni - Thank you for the magic you bring to Bali - I will be back hopefully in the near future!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Desa Seni is one of the best places I have stayed in Bali. I love the fact that there are hundreds of veggie patches where they grow their own organic produce which they use to cook wonderfully healthy and delicious food for you in their restaurant. It's the attention to detail that really impressed me with the place - the souvenir batik sarong, the waiters preparing a glass of water for you while you're swimming before you have even asked for it. And because it's such a small boutique resort, you get the personal touches that you wouldn't get in most places around. The only problem I had was that the rooms were not very sound proof so I was woken up in the morning by various sounds. Otherwise highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo