“VERY beautiful traditional hotel!!!”
Review of Hotel Tugu Bali

Hotel Tugu Bali
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Canggu
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Firstly, if you fancy sleek, minimalist & ultra modern design hotel, this is not the one. But if you feel like to be in real Bali, this is the place. Uniquely design with lots of Balinese artefact & work of arts. You will go through beautiful garden & ponds to reach your suite, which is very nice.
The size of the room is very generous & the bathroom is to die for.

We received welcome drink & massage upon our arrival. Afternoon tea is served everyday in the location we choose (by the pool / beach / own suite / garden / restaurant)
I am lost for words to describe my stay at the Tugu, it was just beautiful & relaxing. I went here with friends (4 of us in 2 different suites) but I will come back again with my partner.

Have a look the website, see the pictures, the reality is as good as and even better. The beach is good for people who love surfing. They have bed on the beach too. The sunset is amazing! Due to hotel location, you'll have good privacy, quiet intimate time. If you need to go to Seminyak, a taxi will take you just in a short time. Or you can even walk along the beach to the south, it will take you to Seminyak in 30 mins.

The staff is friendly & helpful as you'd expect it. The hotel has few different location for you to have your meal, each of them is nicely designed. They will give you a tour to the whole property, so then you can decide where do you like to have your meal. I must say the price for the food is expensive, even the breakfast is expensive. But it was delicious & the whole experience is unforgettable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank luv2ravel

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Tugu for 4 nights and this was the highlight of our trip.

All the rave reviews I read were spot on, the staff here were exceptional, from the reception staff, gardener, driver,waiters, spa therapists, room service , and so on.

They know you by name, went out of their way in providing the best service I've ever encountered in such a long time.

Our room was made up TWICE a day, which was unusual, with lovely notes here and there.

It seems like they know what you want, even before you say it.

The hotel has a museum quality, with authentic antique pieces everywhere we go, and it was a nice change from our usual hotel chain stay.

One of the things that we love apart from the service is the breakfast. We could have our breakfast anytime and anywhere we want it. We tried the beach, an ancient "Javanese Gubuk", a lotus pond and a room that used to be the fave of the only female president of Indonesia - Mrs. Megawati.

The food quality was generally excellent as well, apart from one evening for a room service order which arrived a bit cold.

We tried picnic in bed dinner offering that was set up on a private beach on an 18th century bed (as per Conde Nast Traveller recommendation) which was tastefully decorated also with candles along the pathway...one of a kind experience and the set menu was delicious!

All in all, this isn't a cheap hotel but it's worth every penny and I have no hesitation to return in the future or to recommend them to anyone I know!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank schumaster
Reviewed October 29, 2012

If you want to spend your holidays in a unique hotel with a great atmosphere; if you dislike those 100+room hotels and you do prefer a place with a capacity below 50 people, if you prefer individuality over mass-tourism, Tugu Hotel in Bali is the place to go. Four of us enjoyed four days in Tugu Hotel and we keep the best memories about this time. No better way to start a day with a breakfast ideally served by Sri, a sunshine in the service-brigade. After that, Tugu Bali offers a variety of things to do: Enjoy the offer in the massage-parlour, stroll around and discover all the treasures of the hotel, stay at the beach or around the pool area or simply read a book at the library.
There is a relatively broad offer for having lunch or dinner at the hotel - different settings and different food-styles are available. I nevertheless agree with some comments that it might get a bit boring if you eat out for a full week in the hotel, but for a period of 3-4 days, the offer is great.
++ The Welcome and the reception-service = always friendly, helpful and efficient
++ There is an "artist" preparing the flower arrangement at tables and rooms every day
- When Sri was not around, the colleagues are not as quick, efficient, thoughtful and quick in the morning
- Some of the food served during dinner was already a bit cold. Slight adjustment in the food delivery would help to avoid disappointment

Room Tip: There is no bad room. They are 21 individual rooms and each is special
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AustrianinAsia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We absolutely loved our honeymoon stay at Tugu. Everywhere you turned, there were new romantic spots to be found on the property: Sunken tubs and private plunge pools with provided floating candles in our rooms. Candlelit dinners in a new spot every night. There's even a bed on the beach! I highly recommend the "picnic in bed" dinner, where you are served dinner in bed at sunset on the beach, punctuated with blindfolded desserts.

There were other couples there but it was easy to stay out of sight and find a place to be alone. Very few kids and families, which was great for us. I have seen other reviewers call this place peaceful and I could not agree more.

The staff was beyond perfect and they treated us like family.

The only complaint I had was that the beach was pretty much exclusively for surfing. It seemed pretty dangerous for swimming or wading. Not really Tugu's fault.

We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Stayed in both the Rejang and Dedari suites. We mildly preferred the Dedari, due to the plunge pool...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

As most of the reviewers, I agree with the positive remarks on the hotel itself. A slice of heaven is an overstatement, but it's really nice, quiet and with lovely surroundings. Can't complain about the beach area either, although being small and not ideal for swimming or sunbathing this is what to be expected if doing your homework on Canggu beach.

The villas are very beautiful, spacious and with all the comforts you'd expect in a 5 star hotel. The servicelevel however was a rollercoaster! The receptionstaff were always very helpful and professional whilst the restaurantstaff (at least 70% of them) was the complete opposite. They generally gave the impression of being unprofessional, confused or just bored. For example, we had dinner in bed on the beach (which by the way isn't "solo" as the description, Tugu was greedy enough to have another bed set up a few meters from us) during which the waitor ignored us for most of the time resulting in me having to walk up to the restaurant ordering a bottle of wine to avoid having our starters without beverages. Sadly that wasn't the only time I had to walk up there, when ordering lunch to the pool area, I got my pasta 20 minutes before my sidesalad. When coming up to the restaurant the waitor looked surprised me asking about the salad which led me to believe that he just forgot it (it took another 10 minutes after that for the salad to arrive, and it wasn't a sidesalad, it was a ordinary one). Other incidents was ignoring my request for cheese in my breakfastomelette and giving us another tables order saying it was complimentary. And I will never forget waiting 40 minutes for lunch and then being served a burnt pizza. To be fair they didn't charge it but it's not acceptable to serve it in the first place and than suddenly showing interest when taking pictures of it.

Some reviewers have commented on the food not meeting expectations and I couldn't agree more. The food isn't bad, but surely not living up to a 5 star hotel. Pizzadough and tomatosauce in the pasta tasted readymade, the lobster tasted...well nothing, and the pasta was overcooked. The average tasting food and the ignorant restaurantstaff resulted in us eating outside the hotel after 2 days where we got the same standard in food and attentive service for more than half the price (and without feeling disappointed).

Don't get me wrong, we are used to spending a lot of money dining out, and are happy doing it when getting your moneys worth, but paying $200 for a three course meal in this hotel is just not reasonable. Same thing with servicelevel, we expect to get what we pay for and would never complain about these relative small things in a cheaper accommodation. For $350 a night it's understandable to be disappointed in the housekeeping leaving the bathroomdoor wide open letting mosquitos in and turning off the air conditioning when noted (on request) that we wanted it turned on at all times.

To sum it up, go to Tugu for a nice, relaxing and quite holiday, but PLEASE go elsewhere for your meals!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank MaMaSweden
StephanieTugu, Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear MaMa Sweden,
Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel itself, the rooms, receptionists and quiet surroundings.

Kindly let me clarify that a three course meal from our A la Carte menu cost in average IDR 240,000++/ person equivalent with the current exchange rate to USD 29 net/person) (Average prices are : IDR 70,000++ for appetizers, + IDR 125,000++ for main courses and IDR 45,000++ for desserts);

while the “Aphrodisiac Picnic under the Moonlight” costs IDR 730,000 ++ (=USD 89 net/person) per person and include a special experience as we install special set up and need advance preparation to decorate the wooden antique bed on our beach, to make palm leaves candle holders on the sand; additional lighting need to be installed and the menu consist of dishes that are not in our regular a la carte menu, ending with the surprising selection of 4 desserts to be tasted blindfolded.
We accept maximum 2 reservations on our beach in this case, and each antique beds are set up 15 meters away from each others, which is a privilege if we compare to other crowded restaurants in Bali.

However, we do have the option to book the beach venue for a fully private dinner at an additional charge of Rp. 1.120.000++ per couple.
Your “Aphrodisiac Picnic under the Moonlight” on 11th October was booked without request of “solo” /”fully private” option and the price you paid was IDR 730,000++/person without any extra charge, this is why another couple had their dinner on the beach at the same time but 15 meters away from you.

We appreciate your feedbacks which are the most effective way to learn from our mistakes and improve our services.
Disciplinary actions have been taken related to your comments regarding our food and restaurant service.
Regarding the tomato sauce in the pasta; I guarantee that we never purchase any ready made sauce and we always make our own homemade sauce for any kind of dishes; this is a standard in all Tugu hotels and our purchasing department will definitely never purchase such items.
“Pasta overcooked” and “burnt pizza” are unacceptable and we will make sure with our Chef that our kitchen team will learn from this experience.

If you wanted the air condition to be always on, you did not need to request, as we always leave it on automatically in all occupied rooms, unless guests tick the note provided on the bed side table, stating as follow:

• ( ) Tick here if you would like us to turn off the air conditioning or lights when we come in to clean the room

If you are still travelling in Indonesia at the moment, or if you plan to return in the future, please do let me know at: bali@tuguhotels.com; as I would like you to give us a second chance and accept to dine one more time with us in any of our Tugu properties in Lombok, Bali, Jakarta or Java.

Stephanie Jaton
Executive Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recommend especially the breakfast at the lotus pond ... and the mantra massage !
A very nice design and landscaping too , everything in harmony ...
The restaurant is excellent too : many many choice and very tasteful .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is truly exceptional. I have stayed at many Bali villas and high end hotels but this is the most unusual place that I know. Quite and private. Great for beach walks, close to Echo Beach and good surfing. Close to Seminyak, but away from the noise. Friendly staff who respect your privacy.

Room Tip: Some have beach views, some have private pools all have great distinctive rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa
The Oberoi Bali
The Oberoi Bali
#14 of 149 in Seminyak
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!