“The most classic Bali/javanes hotel Ive seen”
Review of Hotel Tugu Bali

Hotel Tugu Bali
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Canggu
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This place is like staying in a museum od ancient indonesia, the rooms are filled with pricless antiques as is the rest of the hotel. The pool is small but it is right on the beach so who care? This is what hotels in Indonesia should be like, there was a wedding on the night I arrived..wow I think it was the most beautiful spot Ive ever seen for a wedding. It is a bit far from Seminyak but close enough to go to eat (only thing about Hotel Tugu the food was average at best) dont let that deter you, there are plenty of other places to eat. Food peace, serenity and to experience really Bali this is it, you will feel like a guest in a Royal home.

Room Tip: splurge! dont stay here and take a basic room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Everything about Tugu was perfect
We loved the room, especially the bathroom and amenities.
Service is top notch and, even if the hotel was almost full, we felt like we were the only guests there.

Food was great too and you can choose to have breakfast wherever and whenever you want: in your room, on the beach or in the garden.

We really felt as we were in heaven

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank maclover_it
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is quite possibly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. It is like a 5 star hotel but on a much more personal level - it is small enough to feel intimate but just big enough to have plenty to do and feel you can find a spot for yourself - there were days when we barely saw another guest. The service was for me unprecedented in Bali - and I have stayed in countless places in Bali over the years. The food is excellent. The special dinners and beachside barbecues were perfectly done and very intimate, And although not cheap, when there are two of you paying, the price is really quite reasonable for what you get. We stayed a whole week and it was not exorbitant. The private beach is also well north of the beaches at Seminyak & Legian - and much quieter. Although there is an undertow and it is mostly used by surfers.

In short I cannot fault this hotel in any way - the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. The room we had was clean, big and completely private. The main pool is serene and peaceful. The private plunge pool was lovely. The antique decor around the hotel - from statues to wooden furniture to the giant dragon in the main building are quite unique, given their quality and they give the hotel its charm.

I will definitely stay at Tugu again. And I am a tad reluctant to tell others how good it is - it's one of Bali's best kept secrets.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Antipode222
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a truly 5 star hotel. I was on a group tour and would never stay at anywhere this expensive in Bali by my own choice but I must say it is the lap of luxury. The staff memorize your name before you arrive and you want for nothing. Stephanie and her staff are fabulous. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. We had an open air bathroom that was more 3 star than 5, mainly because of mosquitoes. An indoor option would have been appreciated! THe food is amazing and you can choose to dine ANYWHERE on the property. We decided to dine in the reconstructed palace of an Indonesian king! (I'm sorry that I have forgotten the historic details). 4 of us at a table built for 20 or more! The dinners are very reasonably priced so I can't imagine why you would want to eat anywhere else. We had to leave the 4 course breakfast before we were done to attend a cooking class on the premises and they brought the rest of our breakfast out to us. I recommend the cooking class as well- quite an experience. I would highly recommend this as romatic getaway- look into the spa packages !!

Room Tip: they are all slightly different- the photos make them look more like isolated bungalows than they re...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank allisonodenthal
loloworldwide, Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Allie Tacoma,

Thank you for your enthousiastic description and for the compliment regarding our Tugu team. I enjoy reading your experience and more over the happiness that your message expresses.

Indeed, our Dedari Suite's bathrooms have the charm of open air exotic architecture. In tropical countries it is not possible to eradicate all mosquitoes, however we prevent and minimize insects with burners in the open air areas like the bathroom, lotions provided in every room, spray provided in our restaurants, anti moquito plugs in the rooms and weekly fogging.
I recommend you to stay next time in our Rejang suite, located upstairs with stunning ocean view and with indoor bathroom.

Thank you and look forward welcoming you again in Tugu home,

Stephanie Jaton
Executive Manager

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We've been to Tugu twice and had a wonderful experience both times. Tugu is in a peaceful part of south Bali, away from the horrible madness of Kuta and surrounding areas. It is extremely clean, the rooms have wonderful layouts with a private pool, the common areas are lovely, the food is authentic, fresh and local. The restaurant is wonderful. The decor is elegant with genuine antiques and beautiful solid wood adorning the restaurant and common areas. The beach is a very short walk across a quiet laneway. Im sure children are welcome but they are few and far between. The resort is right on Canggu beach so if you like to surf, the action is on your doorstep. The staff are an utter delight and the sevice is excellent. If you feel compelled to leave Tugu, Seminyak is a 25 min drive away (which is about a 10km drive in Bali traffic). This resort showcases the real Bali. We will definitely return!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed in 5 hotels in Bali and this one ranked top 2. Having come from COMO Shambala I wasn't sure if this place would live up to my previous experience in Bali....but it did and by far! The architecture of the rooms are amazing. I stayed in a 2nd floor room and loved my "porch"- In the mornings, I ordered coffee and threw open all the windows to enjoy the sounds, sights and smells of the ocean. At night I sank into the unbelievable hammered metal, giant bathtubs while listening to the waves crash in the distance. The beach is gorgeous here- so nice, in fact, that I didn't leave the property to see nearby Tanah Lot. Instead, I wandered up and down the wide expanse of black sand end enjoyed the sunset while lounging on the large Balinese beds beach side. The food here is well priced, generous and some of the best I ate in Bali. The cooking school is fantastic and the spa gorgeous. I was sad to only stay here 2 nights. This place is somewhere I will definitely re-visit. If you are considering stay here just do- you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are fantastic here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had our wedding at tugu hotel at peak season in July. The hotel seemed to have some guests however they weren't disturbing us and the party. The staff made sure that the party was inclusive and would not be bothered with other guests going around the party area.
Originally, we had dealt with another sales person organizing this wedding. After she resigned, the executive manager picked it up in the middle. Had our worries in the beginning, but at the end, turned out be amazing and beautiful. Family from overseas enjoyed the authentic Indonesian food. decoration was very nice. Flowers arrangements were stunningly beautiful. me and the girls love our bouquets. Our families were also happy with the hotel service.
The hotel staffs were very friendly, always have a smile on their faces, remember your name (pretty amazing we think). The location of this hotel was a bit far from entertainment district (kuta and seminyak). I only recommend anyone who would want to go to bali to relax, to enjoy the hospitality of the hotel services, to enjoy the beach. If you're party goers, you'd prefer to be somewhere in kuta or seminyak.
I would recommend anyone to come and try out one of the best hospitality in bali.

Room Tip: good ocean view from rejang suite. we love that!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rinalj
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Mr. Rinaldy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share one of the most important moments in your life with us and others and we were very happy to host your beautiful wedding on our beach. I wish you will keep many nice memories and that we will have the change to welcoming you again.

Warmest regards from all the Family of Hotel Tugu Bali :)

Stephanie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa
#16 of 40 in Canggu
The Legian Bali
The Legian Bali
#7 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!