“Pure - but no sixth sense”
Review of Pure Villa

Pure Villa
Ranked #190 of 309 Specialty Lodging in Canggu
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've stayed in a few villas in Bali over the years and I always apply the Sixth Sense test each time I step into one: Does it have soul and does it convey a sense of endless possibilities?

Given the price range of these villas (most are luxury and have minimum nights' stay) and the market positioning, these villas MUST be able to engage, be emotionally compelling: a sense of anticipation, excitement, yet, a feeling of peace and serenity if I were to decide to do nothing but stay in the villa all week just to read my books. In short, the villa must stir deep and contrasting emotions in me - appeal to my expectation of peace and quiet, and yet, help me anticipate a sense of pleasure and enjoyment.

A luxury villa, in my humble opinion, must make me feel that I'm doing a lot, something, even when I am doing nothing!

Which brings me to Pure villa. It is visually pleasing, has a very nice layout, fantastic rooms, attentive staff, and two cars on standby each day. But it just doesn't appeal to my Sixth Sense. It doesn't have soul nor does it convey a sense of endless possibilities for me.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the place much - it was fun, lots of room for the children to swim, run around, fly kites, etc. It has its massages, great music selection, excellent layout, quality of food and service (although the chef's range is limited and we got fried noodles and fried rice every morning for breakfast, besides the usual western selection of eggs, bacon, sausages, etc), attention to detail and anticipation of needs. But for Bali's luxury villas, these must be hygiene factors and not differentiators.

I have to confess that Pure didn't tug many of my heart strings, not as many as Uma di Beji, Teresa or Ombak Laut.

Therein lies the rub for me. I can't put a finger to it - but I won't be back at Pure in a hurry. It doesn't steal a bit of my heart away.

Go try it and apply the Sixth Sense test.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the wide garden are the best - bright, cheery and airy. They are also better laid o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank wjng

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We booked out the entire villa for my brother's wedding. I really cannot say anything that can do it justice. So I will summarise it in a few words:

Amazing
Perfect
Beautiful
Stunning

Staff were outstanding. Location was superb. The wedding was breathtaking. 10 out of 10.

Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GCSOM1
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have stayed in Pure Villa with 3 families with 8 children aged 3 to 10. We all loved the place! Beautiful villa, great staff, delicious food, nice pool and for the children a wonderful huge garden to play in! Quiet location (garden Is on the backside and has view across the rice paddies), about a 15-20 min drive to Seminyak for the shops and restaurants, about 10 min drive to Echo beach for lunch or sunset. The chef prepares oriental delicious food from Malaysian Laksa to Thai curry and of course Indonesian food but also western food. Villa manager Theresia is really good, friendly, helpful and great with children. We would definitely book again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family