“Certainly over priced”

Ranked #28 of 260 Specialty Lodging in Canggu
Globe
“Certainly over priced”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I will keep this sweet and simple:

Pros (Goods):

- The pool is amazing
- The food is great
- The location to the beach is also sweet!

Cons (Bad):

- The villa rooms are high priced, and are not so private. You get to wake up every morning to the sound, and smell of the people in the rooms next door taking there morning poo.
- You can here the next room snooring, even in the private villas
-The staff are o.k, but most don't care to help you
- If it rains, you will get wet in bed
- Open concept bamboo means lots of bugs in the room.

Conclusion:

This place is nice, but WAY over priced. Also the photos on the website make it look much better then it is.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlobeWorldWide
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi Globe World Wide
Thank you for the compliments on the pool, when I built it I was sure people would enjoy it! Yatna, my wife, who is taking care of all food and beverages, says her thanks. As we are located only 150m Canggu beach, we feel our room rates are justifiable : 400.000IDR (or $40) for double bedroom and 150.000IDR (or $17) for Backpacker ( dormitory/single room). All room rates are breakfast included and I'm sure you enjoyed the home-cooked breakfast!
Villa 1, the bamboo lodge is an eco lodge, we are very proud to have built it of bamboo material, hiring local labor and maximizing on natural ventilation; all in the purpose of reducing our carbon footprint. However, regarding the comment, I will discuss this with our maintenance team, on how to improve it, especially during the rainy season. We do have air-condition rooms on the floor below in that same Villa 1, maybe next time you can stay here?
We are a family based accommodation, our staff are locally hired to provide them with income, I believe that the staff were not unhelpful but more shy, so next time just ask with a smile and they will enthusiastically help!
Finally the website, this is a difficulty for me as my generation is not technology - orientated. Nothing to fear! My son who is studying in Singapore will soon come home and help!
Thank you GlobalWorldWide for the reasonable review, thanks to this we know where to improve!

With Serenity
Daniel Chieppa
(owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The minute you walk in Villa Serenity, the relaxing feeling takes over. This, all bamboo, resort makes sure that anybody who stays there, will leave completely relaxed! The breakfast was just great because of choosing between bread and pancakes and the staff was very friendly. Also the owner, who gives yoga and meditation sessions, is very friendly.
And it also was pretty crazy to ran in this guy at an other island (Lombok) a week later! And he recognized us! So concluded, we had a nice and relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lodon
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Like much of Bali the area is swelling with development. As a result "Serenity" is actually situated in between 2 large building sites which hammer, shout and run drills and cutting equipment until the early hours of the morning. Not the slightest bit serene. Owner seems to be completely unaware of the irony. Avoid.

• Stayed November 2012
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hi There
As a owner, I'am very aware as we are love Villa Serenity as you like. As a mediator & Yoga Practitioner ( YTT ) also we try to negotiate noise ( no more than 8am - 5pm working hours with unaware new foreigners comer in our peaceful fisher village
If you know ( instead of complain ), if you have any suggestion to reduce noise disturbance please be my guest

With Himalaya of Love
Daniel
Bali
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed the totally relaxed and chilled out atmosphere of Villa Serenity and especially our Bungalow Coco overlooking the really lovely pool. The food was great! It was just literally a few minutes walk from Canggu beach. Generally a great family atmosphere. We just loved all the time we were there and we'll be back for sure

Room Tip: Our room was very near the pool and just perfect
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank Robert and Shel... E
Geelong
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was booked to stay here for 4 weeks whilst I was doing a yoga teacher training course. Of the 35 people doing the course, most of whom were booked in here, basically 70% left to stay elsewhere. Some left because of rats or scorpions in their rooms, others because they were chronically ill (many people were ill and it wasn't just from the change in climate), and others left because of the inadequacy of the rooms and poor service. There are much better hotel options nearby at a cheaper rate that are newer, cleaner, better maintained, well serviced, and have friendly, efficient staff.

The price I was quoted for a room prior to ariving there was approx $45AUD a night. After arrival they gave me a bill which equated to half that amount per night. I decided to stay for that price even though the room did not meet my needs. However, when a few days later they then asked me to pay double (the original quote) I decided to move out. I was awake at about 4.30 am every night due to the cleaner's room being next door to mine and a large hole (like 1 metre across) in both the bedroom and bathroom walls ensuring that any noise filtered through. As there was study to do every night I had to do it on the bed under the mosquito net as there was no way of keeping the room mosquito or rodent free, with insufficient light - it just didn't work. I locked all food I had in my case as I was to worried it would bring unwelcome guests. The security deposit box did not work and I was told that it had been like that for months and they would have to take it off the wall to fix so they didn't worry about it. Most days there was a smell of burning plastic outside my room as they place al the plastic refuse on the fire.

The rooms were not clean and I the bed was made up with new sheets that were still stained. Even though I was paying for a double room I was only entitled to have one towel which all looked like they had a long life with a few incarnations. The hot water worked every couple of days so I couldn't even look forward to a hot shower. The shower is a cut off pipe sticking out of the wall.

And the service - WOW! There were some staff who are absolutely lovely and very friendly and helpful. However, from the time I arrived to the time I left the majority of admin staff acted like we were a nuisance to their day, were extremely unhelpful, bordering on rude, and did not accept repsonsibility for their mistakes. For example one young woman travelling on her own for the first time had paid for her room upfront in cash, a large percentage of which went astray after she had paid. She was really given a grilling on more than one occasion and was taken to a room by the owner with 3 other men present and aggressively and relentlessly abused for 2 hours. (That behaviour didn't seem unusual as we saw 2 staff come out in tears after meeting with the owner on one occasion.) The kitchen closed down hours earlier on some days meaning those who had paid for meal packages were left without meals. I enjoyed the food I had at Serenity and often they would cook me an Indonesian breakfast on request, which I am very grateful for. Often though what people would order and what people would receive were different things.
The only thing Serenity has going for it is the pool and the regular yoga classes.

I did move (with 8 others doing the course) - I moved to a beautiful new hotel a little further away from the beach but they shuttled us anywhere we wanted to go. The rooms were immaculately clean, very spacious, had instant hot water every day, with TV and DVD, refigerators, and my own private courtyard with day bed, and a desk for working. This was half the price of Villa Serenity. The staff were amazingly friendly, charming, helpful (as most Balinese are) and went out of their way to meet all of our needs. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere and not staying at Serenity.

It will sound like I stayed in a completely different place to other reviewers but this is my experience and I would never return there. Even the Balinese taxi driver who drove me there seemed stunned I was going to stay there. It is not a pleasant environment physically or psychologically.

Room Tip: Not sure this is possible as there are many systemic issues.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DebbieGeelong
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Greetings Debbie Geelong,
Thank you for your review, to point out your concerns
1. The burning of plastic
2. Rats and scorpions
3. One towel per person
4. Room cleanliness
5. Staff activity at 4.30am
6. Your friends being harassed by three men
For point 1, 2 and 3, Villa Serenity is an eco-friendly lodging and we try to stay true our statement.
Point 1: We have never burnt our plastic, as it harms the environment and ourselves with the toxic fumes released; we turn all our food waste to compost, used to feed our lush, healthy and green garden. However the locals are known to burn their waste.
Point 2: Pesticides, are toxic to all and we prefer to catch and release wild animals. However we might try putting for signs for people to not leave their food wastes in the open.
Point 3: For the “one towel a day” rule, this is to minimize our detergent waste; nonetheless if you requested more towels we would have willingly provided you with more.
Point 4: For room cleanliness, there seems to be some miscommunication. In your yoga course booklet, it is stated that during the course, room cleanliness would be your own responsibility, to induce such a trait - requested by the yoga instructors. However due to your concern, we will no longer ask students to clean their own room and will as usual have our room cleaning team to do the tasks. Thank you for pointing it out!
Point 5: our staff are employed from 8am till 10pm maximum, so I am not sure what noise that may have originated from.
Point 6: Overall this concern may be a bit over-stated, “taken to a room by the owner with 3 other men and aggressively and relentlessly abused for 2 hours”. To clarify, the “room” was the balcony of my home.
The “3 other men” was myself, the manager and my female secretary, and it wasn’t us three abusing your friend; acting as arbitrator I listened to your friend and my manager present their point while my secretary was present to act as witness.
The case was that your friend swore to have paid her rather large outstanding fee, yet could show no proof of payment or receipt. The manager, accused of receiving the money was prepared to go to the police, if asked to pay the cash out of his pocket.
In the end I managed to calm my manager and your friend was allowed to check out with no payment. How was I thanked for mediating this case? I wasn’t, your friend stormed off without an apology.
The Dalai Lama once said,
“We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one hundred years at
the very most. During that period we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life”
Namaste

With Serenity
Daniel Chieppa and Family
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This place is amazing. They have really built a little sanctuary on the quiet side of canggu. Perfect waves for beginners just down the road and then the fun lefts and rights a 200 meter walk further up the beach. The restaurant has a homely feel with great food and a wide selection. The pool has enough chill areas(bali huts, sunbeds, tables) for all guests to enjoy. I'll advise anybody to go and spend a few days relaxing there.

Just remeber this is not the Mariott or Hilton, if that is what you're after go to Nusa Dua. THis is a backpacker feel with private rooms and a great outside space, but you are in bali, not an american built resort. So Enjoy it for what it is, meet the fellow travellers and explore the areas. If you want to sit in a hotelroom with A/C and TV and roomservice you're going to be disappointed.
I only had 2 little qualms that I think can be improved. 1. The yoga is only in the mornings and seemed quite advanced except for Mondays and is a full 1 1/2 hours. I would have happily paid the $5 for a 45 minute/hour afternoon session for a non experienced yogateur. The wind is up from 12pm so I surfed every morning and therefor missed all the yoga sessions. 2. The chef was sick a few days so the kitchen was closed for 2 or 3 nights with no notice. As the other reviewers have said, its a bit of a walk to other restaurants and if you're hungry it turned into a bit of a mission with bikes/taxis if you're going to have a bintang or 3. I'd suggest getting an apprentice whom can cover for the chef if need be(Also great for the local community)

All in all this was a great holiday and was exactly what I was after. Staff are exceptionally friendly and knew me by name from the first day and really took interest in all guests.

Room Tip: Singles, grab a backpacker room upstairs. Couples, the rooms/villas around the pool is a must.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MarcusM M
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Villa Serenity was just what I was looking for: a yoga class each morning, within walking distance to good surfing, and a feeling of community (like a nice hostel in europe or latin america that offers an opportunity to socialize with other travelers). The staff are exceptionally friendly and help provide a nice family feeling. The food was good and the local massage therapist arrived within 15 minutes of booking and gave an exceptional massage for under 10 dollars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo