Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Tugu Bali(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$306
$200
Agoda.com
Legong Keraton Beach Hotel(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$57
$41
Aradhana Villas(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$176
$161
Theanna Eco Villa and Spa(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$145
$120
Orbitz.com
The Kirana Hotel Resto and Spa(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$53
$42
$28
$23
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
FRii Bali Echo Beach, Hotel(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$39
$36
Mayana Villas(Canggu)(Great Value!)
$180
TripAdvisor
All reviewssmall hutsingle roomvegan foodfried riceperfect place to relaxguest houseswimming pool isfelt like homeenjoyed my staymin walkcleaned every daysurf schoolecho beachhome away from homealkalinebackpackersclasses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed the totally relaxed and chilled out atmosphere of Villa Serenity and especially our Bungalow Coco overlooking the really lovely pool. The food was great! It was just literally a few minutes walk from Canggu beach. Generally a great family atmosphere. We just loved all the time we were there and we'll be back for sure

Room Tip: Our room was very near the pool and just perfect
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank Robert and Shel... E
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was booked to stay here for 4 weeks whilst I was doing a yoga teacher training course. Of the 35 people doing the course, most of whom were booked in here, basically 70% left to stay elsewhere. Some left because of rats or scorpions in their rooms, others because they were chronically ill (many people were ill and it wasn't just from the change in climate), and others left because of the inadequacy of the rooms and poor service. There are much better hotel options nearby at a cheaper rate that are newer, cleaner, better maintained, well serviced, and have friendly, efficient staff.

The price I was quoted for a room prior to ariving there was approx $45AUD a night. After arrival they gave me a bill which equated to half that amount per night. I decided to stay for that price even though the room did not meet my needs. However, when a few days later they then asked me to pay double (the original quote) I decided to move out. I was awake at about 4.30 am every night due to the cleaner's room being next door to mine and a large hole (like 1 metre across) in both the bedroom and bathroom walls ensuring that any noise filtered through. As there was study to do every night I had to do it on the bed under the mosquito net as there was no way of keeping the room mosquito or rodent free, with insufficient light - it just didn't work. I locked all food I had in my case as I was to worried it would bring unwelcome guests. The security deposit box did not work and I was told that it had been like that for months and they would have to take it off the wall to fix so they didn't worry about it. Most days there was a smell of burning plastic outside my room as they place al the plastic refuse on the fire.

The rooms were not clean and I the bed was made up with new sheets that were still stained. Even though I was paying for a double room I was only entitled to have one towel which all looked like they had a long life with a few incarnations. The hot water worked every couple of days so I couldn't even look forward to a hot shower. The shower is a cut off pipe sticking out of the wall.

And the service - WOW! There were some staff who are absolutely lovely and very friendly and helpful. However, from the time I arrived to the time I left the majority of admin staff acted like we were a nuisance to their day, were extremely unhelpful, bordering on rude, and did not accept repsonsibility for their mistakes. For example one young woman travelling on her own for the first time had paid for her room upfront in cash, a large percentage of which went astray after she had paid. She was really given a grilling on more than one occasion and was taken to a room by the owner with 3 other men present and aggressively and relentlessly abused for 2 hours. (That behaviour didn't seem unusual as we saw 2 staff come out in tears after meeting with the owner on one occasion.) The kitchen closed down hours earlier on some days meaning those who had paid for meal packages were left without meals. I enjoyed the food I had at Serenity and often they would cook me an Indonesian breakfast on request, which I am very grateful for. Often though what people would order and what people would receive were different things.
The only thing Serenity has going for it is the pool and the regular yoga classes.

I did move (with 8 others doing the course) - I moved to a beautiful new hotel a little further away from the beach but they shuttled us anywhere we wanted to go. The rooms were immaculately clean, very spacious, had instant hot water every day, with TV and DVD, refigerators, and my own private courtyard with day bed, and a desk for working. This was half the price of Villa Serenity. The staff were amazingly friendly, charming, helpful (as most Balinese are) and went out of their way to meet all of our needs. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere and not staying at Serenity.

It will sound like I stayed in a completely different place to other reviewers but this is my experience and I would never return there. Even the Balinese taxi driver who drove me there seemed stunned I was going to stay there. It is not a pleasant environment physically or psychologically.

Room Tip: Not sure this is possible as there are many systemic issues.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DebbieGeelong
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Greetings Debbie Geelong,
Thank you for your review, to point out your concerns
1. The burning of plastic
2. Rats and scorpions
3. One towel per person
4. Room cleanliness
5. Staff activity at 4.30am
6. Your friends being harassed by three men
For point 1, 2 and 3, Villa Serenity is an eco-friendly lodging and we try to stay true our statement.
Point 1: We have never burnt our plastic, as it harms the environment and ourselves with the toxic fumes released; we turn all our food waste to compost, used to feed our lush, healthy and green garden. However the locals are known to burn their waste.
Point 2: Pesticides, are toxic to all and we prefer to catch and release wild animals. However we might try putting for signs for people to not leave their food wastes in the open.
Point 3: For the “one towel a day” rule, this is to minimize our detergent waste; nonetheless if you requested more towels we would have willingly provided you with more.
Point 4: For room cleanliness, there seems to be some miscommunication. In your yoga course booklet, it is stated that during the course, room cleanliness would be your own responsibility, to induce such a trait - requested by the yoga instructors. However due to your concern, we will no longer ask students to clean their own room and will as usual have our room cleaning team to do the tasks. Thank you for pointing it out!
Point 5: our staff are employed from 8am till 10pm maximum, so I am not sure what noise that may have originated from.
Point 6: Overall this concern may be a bit over-stated, “taken to a room by the owner with 3 other men and aggressively and relentlessly abused for 2 hours”. To clarify, the “room” was the balcony of my home.
The “3 other men” was myself, the manager and my female secretary, and it wasn’t us three abusing your friend; acting as arbitrator I listened to your friend and my manager present their point while my secretary was present to act as witness.
The case was that your friend swore to have paid her rather large outstanding fee, yet could show no proof of payment or receipt. The manager, accused of receiving the money was prepared to go to the police, if asked to pay the cash out of his pocket.
In the end I managed to calm my manager and your friend was allowed to check out with no payment. How was I thanked for mediating this case? I wasn’t, your friend stormed off without an apology.
The Dalai Lama once said,
“We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one hundred years at
the very most. During that period we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life”
Namaste

With Serenity
Daniel Chieppa and Family

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This place is amazing. They have really built a little sanctuary on the quiet side of canggu. Perfect waves for beginners just down the road and then the fun lefts and rights a 200 meter walk further up the beach. The restaurant has a homely feel with great food and a wide selection. The pool has enough chill areas(bali huts, sunbeds, tables) for all guests to enjoy. I'll advise anybody to go and spend a few days relaxing there.

Just remeber this is not the Mariott or Hilton, if that is what you're after go to Nusa Dua. THis is a backpacker feel with private rooms and a great outside space, but you are in bali, not an american built resort. So Enjoy it for what it is, meet the fellow travellers and explore the areas. If you want to sit in a hotelroom with A/C and TV and roomservice you're going to be disappointed.
I only had 2 little qualms that I think can be improved. 1. The yoga is only in the mornings and seemed quite advanced except for Mondays and is a full 1 1/2 hours. I would have happily paid the $5 for a 45 minute/hour afternoon session for a non experienced yogateur. The wind is up from 12pm so I surfed every morning and therefor missed all the yoga sessions. 2. The chef was sick a few days so the kitchen was closed for 2 or 3 nights with no notice. As the other reviewers have said, its a bit of a walk to other restaurants and if you're hungry it turned into a bit of a mission with bikes/taxis if you're going to have a bintang or 3. I'd suggest getting an apprentice whom can cover for the chef if need be(Also great for the local community)

All in all this was a great holiday and was exactly what I was after. Staff are exceptionally friendly and knew me by name from the first day and really took interest in all guests.

Room Tip: Singles, grab a backpacker room upstairs. Couples, the rooms/villas around the pool is a must.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MarcusM M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Villa Serenity was just what I was looking for: a yoga class each morning, within walking distance to good surfing, and a feeling of community (like a nice hostel in europe or latin america that offers an opportunity to socialize with other travelers). The staff are exceptionally friendly and help provide a nice family feeling. The food was good and the local massage therapist arrived within 15 minutes of booking and gave an exceptional massage for under 10 dollars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place is heaven. The staff is very friendly. Les Crêpes aux bananes sont excellentes :)
This is very clean and safe for any women travelling alone. The best place to stay in Bali.
Highly recommended !!!!