“relaxing and eco-friendly”

Ranked #25 of 255 Specialty Lodging in Canggu
Albany, Australia
“relaxing and eco-friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I chose Villa Serenity initially for the price as I was looking for something affordable in Canggu and there didn't seem to be many options - only lots of expensive private villas. I wasn't sure what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. Villa Serenity is beautifully designed around eco-friendly principles - composting, recycling, chemical-free paints and cleaners, salt-water pool etc etc. They have a timetable of yoga, tai chi and capoeira which is by donation. It is only a couple of hundred metres to a nice beach with good surfing, although I found myself hardly wanting to leave the poolside, it was so nice and relaxing. The warung there has cheap and delicious food and the staff are friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had hot water. Our room was an upstairs rooms and was a little on the small side, but I noticed other rooms around the pool area which were larger ande nicer. I would definitely recommend Villa Serenity and will go back there myself.

Room Tip: I would choose one of the rooms near the pool area next time - not the small single ones which were...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kath G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ubud, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Hello, I stayed at Villa Serenity for eight nights: it was my first place in Bali and at the beginning I thought to stay only few days but the atmosphere was really very quiet and friendly and after the fourth day I decide to remain more and get the bonus for the seventh night free (they have been very kind to accept my request for the bonus even if I didn't tell them at my check-in).
I'm writing here because it's a place I really want to suggest, especially if you want to stay near the beach but don't like the crazy confusion of Kuta!!!... The beach is really just 100mt from the Villa, is very nice for a walk towards Echoe Beach and for surfing, but not so good for quiet swimming.
I was alone and stayed in the cheap room at the first floor, with common bathroom and hot shower. The double rooms near the swimmingpool are very nice and with big and comfortable bathroom. On the second floor there's a nice big room and almost each morning there are yoga lessons on donation. I did'n partecipate, I just went there sometimes and make my yoga when it was empty, the room has nice energy...
I found the place generally clean and appeciate a lot that there are many open space with sofa and chairs where you can relax or meet and talk with other travellers.
I really apreciate also all the staff, gentle and prepared to give any kind of information, I made good friendship with some of them. The owner is a nice french man supporting important proiects for Balinese women and childs.
The kitchen is really very good (I would just prefer a little more butter and jam for the inclusive good breakfast! But they give you more when you ask...). It was just a pity the kitchen closes at 9 p.m., maybe a bit early, but I want also to suggest you that there's a super good and cheap food very near, 200mt before Villa Serenity in the same street. At Nelayan Warong the cook has more than twenty years experience in restaurants, very nice person and on order can prepare you super good fish! And he closes at 11 p.m. !...
I really want to thank all the staff because my first experience in Bali at thei place was the best possible for me,
Selamat Jalan (see you again...)
Ciao, Roberto

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed two nights, comfortable bed with mosquito netting. A tiny bit hot in the room but it's the tropics so I didn't complain (an overhead fan was on but didn't quite cut through the netting). Great atmosphere, lovely and knowledgeable staff, beautiful grounds, refreshing pool and a five minute walk to the beach. The food is consistent and flavorful and good value. Added bonus of various by donation classes (yoga studio is divine), and a meditation room.

• Stayed April 2011
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed at Villa Serenity for 3 nights at the end of our stay in Bali. On the first night we had a very small room with no air conditioning! (The Banyan room). To be honest the room is only suitable for 1 person and should not be used for 2 people. It got extremely hot during the night and was quite uncomfortable. We had the fan on but it was impossible to sleep with the noise from it (even with ear plugs) as the fan does not appear to be fitted correctly to the ceiling so it wobbled a little when turned on. The next morning we asked to be moved to another room. Thankfully the staff were extremely accommodating and moved us to a much nicer room which had air conditioning and 2 fans (that were not noisy!) and plenty of room for luggage etc.

Next night we slept soundly! However the next morning we were told we would have to move to another hotel as they had double booked the room we were in. I explained that I did not wish to move again since it was our last night in Bali and that their problem should not become our problem. Again they were very understanding and allowed us stay on and this was much appreciated.

The pool area is very nice. It was a little noisy with staff going to and fro quite a bit around it during the day. The atmosphere could be made nicer here if work around the pool was kept to a minimum. This was not a huge problem for us but I just thought I would mention it. One other small nit -the cushions in the relaxation areas could do with a little refreshing/plumping up to make them a little more inviting!

The positives - The breakfast is excellent and probably the best out of all the places we stayed in Bali. My husband had a massage there one day and rated it very highly. The staff were very helpful in terms of booking taxis and providing information about the area etc. And the location is great for the beach which you can walk on for miles in either direction! And the pool as I mentioned is great. Also the yoga room is really nice.

This hotel has wonderful potential... It is a really great setting and I think given that the management and staff are willing to improve and take feedback I have no doubt that this hotel will do everything in its power to make it a better place for its guests.

Room Tip: Don't book the Banyan room - it's not suitable for 2 people.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Greetings Tripadvisor Member,
Every review we receive, the managers read thoroughly and then we hold a staff meeting to tell them on what we can do about it.

For the wobbling fan in Banyan room, i have sent a technician to tighten the screws.

We apologize if there was a lot of staff going back and forth around the pool area during your stay, it is just that the next day we were going to have a group of 32 people arriving, in time for Sentosha yoga teacher training. We are their Bali Hosts.

The relaxation cushions i've asked the housekeeping to keep a schedule on the days that the cushions need to be changed.

Thank you very much for your breakfast and massage compliments. I have told the staff involved during the staff meeting. they were very pleased!

Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Having booked my stay here, I was emailed several weeks before my arrival to inform me I would need to stay elsewhere for part of my visit (I was only staying four nights), followed by a second email confirming the pool was for private use for the majority of my staff. An omen to book elsewhere? However, a third email from Villa Serenity confirmed my booking could now be honoured, however the pool was still for private use. I was offered a discounted price and reminded the beach is close by. I had read the previous reviews regarding noise and was told my room would hopefully be away from the noise. I brought ear plugs just in case. I've been here three days and can honestly say I'm exhausted. Having come from working in Malaysia as a volunteer for a month, I was looking forward to enjoying some rest and recuperation in Bali. Be warned, this is not possible at Villa Serenity (even with ear plugs). Having been kept awake most of my first night the staff did arrange to move me from the main bunk house to Bamboo II, which is in fact even noisier. Night staff sitting outside my room chatting until gone midnight, loud TV, motorbikes revving during shift changeover, kitchen and cleaning staff starting work early in the morning at times shouting. These are a selection of noise nuisances. I have chatted with other guests staying here, without exception everyone is of the same opinion, if you're looking for peace and quiet, this is not the place for you.

The pool closure is not a one off, I spoke to other guests who all agreed the pool should no longer be advertised. The pool was one of the reasons I chose to come here. Indeed, I was informed the pool would not be available, however the local beach is for surfers not swimmers, it’s too dangerous for swimming.

On a more positive side, the staff are very friendly and helpful (other than the night staff who checked me in, no eye contact, no welcome, no information). Rooms are basic, clean and cozy (cleaned everyday) and towels are provided. Breakfast is very tasty with generous helpings and the restaurant menu is extensive, tasty and reasonably priced. Wifi is included, DVD and book library.

I am not usually one to complain, however three nights of very little sleep leaves you feeling pretty grumpy. I could complain about the noise once again, but where would I be moved next? I cannot see any of the rooms being any quieter and frankly when you are moved to an even noisier room after making an initial complaint, what is the point?
Villa Serenity have got things just right on so many levels, but noise and sleep deprived guests is likely to be an ongoing issue.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Greetings Tripadvisor member,
I first have to thank you for you unbiased review(as it contains both positive and negative points), as without reviews it is hard for us to improve. We have also just had a emergency staff meeting with your review as the main topic.

For the emails, Checking back through all my emails(i am not able to copy and paste the email as is against tripadvisors policy), i could not find any one suggesting that you had to book somewhere else for any part of your visit in Villa Serenity.
However it is true that i did mention to you that the pool was privatized for a short period of time in a one-off contract. After the 17th of August the contract will end and learning from our mistake, we will no longer allow a guest to privatize the pool.

Yes we did arrange to have you moved from the main bunkhouse to the bamboo hut, thinking it will be away from the main group of single travelers and would thus be quieter.
Of course we did not account for the noise caused by the staff.
Therefore after receiving your review we immediately had a staff meeting to discuss your review.
-We have told the night staff to not chat near the bamboo hut but instead in the office
-The television now has a curfew where after 11pm, guests must turn down the volume. the night staff have been told not to be shy if asking a guest to turn down the tv volume.
-The night staff's motorbike will now be pushed a reasonable distance before being started so to avoid the revving noise
-Kitchen and cleaning staff have been told to be quiet during early morning hours
-for the night staff who were not courteous enough, i am sure they were not doing it on purpose, they were probably just shy. however i have talked to them and they have promised to at least give a smile and a "hallo, welcome to Villa Serenity"!

About asking for the other guest's opinion of the sound, if it was too loud, i am sure they would've told us like you have told us by writing us a review or telling us directly. So far this is the first email we have received for excessive noise.

Thank you for the positive comments about our welcoming staff!
thank you for enjoying the food in Villa Serenity, i will tell the cook, she is very proud of her food!

finally thank you for coming to Villa Serenity and thank you for your honest review because yes in the short term we will probably have a few guests who will check our listing and not book with us, but, in the long term we will improve and that is what counts!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

If u r looking for relax, confort, excelent people, mystic and spiritual experiences and of course amazing waves every day very close from the hotel!!! Villa Serenity is the right place to be!!! I will always remember my perfects days in that place...and hope coming again some day in my life!!! thanks for the great moments and the excellent customer care!

Regards form Argentina!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Hi Nico and the Argentinian gang!
It was a pleasure receiving you guys, especially when you came in October 2011 when the dormitory building was still new. it is amazing how you arrived such a long time and yet you still remembered to write us a review, i am truly touched!

hey if i ever get to your continent i'll facebook you guys, and that is a promise!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed my first few nights in Bali at Villa Serenity. The staff was really friendly and welcoming, and the complimentary breakfast was the best I had in all of Bali!! A great retreat for people looking to get away from hectic areas like Kuta and Legian, but I felt a bit too secluded. The yoga wasn't my favorite.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo