“The Best Experience Of My Life” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #2 of 105 Canggu B&B and Inns
NYC
“The Best Experience Of My Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

I still dream about Chillhouse every day. Owners, Alex and Sabrina, and their staff were so helpful and sweet. I was traveling alone and the Chillhouse did a great job of paring me up with the perfect bunkmate. Their rental boards were pretty decent and their surf guides are awesome. Seriously the best vacation I have ever booked.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Maria Alm, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I just read those comments on the single room at The Chillhouse, complaining that it was noisy and hot. I have to say I slept like a baby. Initially I wanted to stay for two weeks and learn to surf, but then extended to two months and surfed all over Bali. That room is really good value for money. Sure, bathroom and toilet are shared, but who cares if it's way cheaper than the other options? All the rest is just as the other comments describe: excellent. Food, surfcoaching, massage treatments, and the super friendly vibe of the team including the owners Alex and Sabina. I'll be back next year for sure!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We booked two months ahead after having browsed the internet and I must admit it didn't really live up to expectations upon first arrival. We were given a room in the main Chillhouse - under the roof, no windows - which meant it was very loud and very hot! We were partly disappointed because the descriptions on the website are not clear. We were happy to have booked the surf only package because we learned from other guests that they had problems fitting in their massages etc in the busy schedule. We were also not given the video coaching that was promised.

Nevertheless we quickly adapted to the situation and there are enough positive things to be said about the Chillhouse to make up for this: the food and the surf lessons are really fantastic, the overall vibe at the place is also great and the local staff is very friendly.

Price/quality ratio is definitely good. We would come again but would make sure we would have a bungalow. And don't forget those earplugs!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

The Chillhouse has been an unreal experience - been here many times and will be coming back many times in the future - for sure. Owners, staff and location are outstanding. Never before have we felt so welcome and sought after. The surfing is super - heaps of waves within minutes. Also the food is delicious - price/quality ratio unreal. Good times guaranteed!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

The Chillhouse is indeed a very chill place, located about 2km from the beach. I came here to surf, and there were definitely lots of opportunity for that. I'm staying in a single room in the main Chillhouse, which is very cozy - but very noisy - i hear music from downstairs, voices from staff meetings, the massage therapists chatting outdoors, and i have to share a shower on same level but run down to the downstairs bathroom. If you're squeamish about walking into a public toilet in your barefoot, definitely don't book the main chillhouse! I've checked out the bungalows and they are great (big with private verandahs, outdoor bathrooms, mini bar), as well as the rooms in the Surfer's House. It was just tough to figure out exactly what was what by the website (a clearer description - as in here's the room type, and here's the photo of said room) would go a long way in setting the proper expectations.

Overall, I would come here again, but I would definitely book ahead (it was last minute as I did not discover the Chillhouse until I was in Bali) and to make sure I got a room not in the main house (where the massage rooms, dining area, etc. are).

Also - you pay for your stay in Euros - which always provides the unhappy realization that everything is 30% more expensive in US dollars (+3% credit card transaction fee)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SurfChica10
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

Just came back from vacation - and we are still thrilled by this outstanding experience!

Situated in a quiet area, we found true Bali at this place. Rooms were tastefull (we had the opportunity to stay at the amazing treetop loft), food was excellent - but what really makes the Chillhouse unique is its staff and their hosts Alex and Sabina. You feel their attention to details and you feel their passion of what they are doing. Excellent for surfers as the offered surfing packages (and the guides) are great, but also non-surfers will love the laid-back atmosphere around the small pool and will enjoy reliefing massages.
We brought our two and a half year old son with us who also had great fun.

All-in-all an unique experience in paradise!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

Spent a whole month at The Chillhouse--it just got better and better every day! The food is phenomenal, but manages to play second to the commraderie. I am not an outgoing guy, but the surfers and chillers drawn by the Chillhouse, along with the friend-inducing common meal format, makes this place truly unique. I would stay here just for the food and friends, but it is really the surfing that does it.

For a whole month, I had my own awesome surf coach to mysef. Wayan challenged me every day, put me in some serious sink-or-swim situations, and improved my surfing immeasurably. Wayan's a real surf coach--helped me to do things I didn't know I could do, like getting really macked, then turn around and paddle out for another. Getting "washed" is part of the gig, and they teach you how to do that to. The whole gang of coaches is awesome.

I stayed in the main building's loft, "The Crow's Nest". It's not enclosed, so no A/C, but if you want to have a chat with the gods, that's the best place on earth for it. Reading a book and napping in the afternoon breeze after a great morning session--that's why God made time and Bali, and I'm also thinking He/She consulted on the creation of The Chillhouse.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo