All reviews chill house cassava communal dinner other guests communal areas vegan options outdoor bathroom amazing food solo traveller a great place to stay mosquito net healthy food new friends bike ride awesome place enjoyed my stay yoga retreat
Selected filters
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

I first visited the Chillhouse in 2014 and had an amazing stay.

The Chillhouse is still a lovely hotel, but the best part about staying there was the people that you met. On my last stay, I met an amazing bunch of friends from all over the world that I still keep in touch with.

One of the things that made it easy to meet people was the fact that you sat down to a casual dinner at shared tables each night. Dinners were a highlight of the day and were a great chance to laugh, bond, and share stories.

On this trip, I was sad to see that the shared dinners don’t happen any more. This is a real shame too because the food from Cassava Cafe (the on-site restaurant) is absolutely outstanding. I really can’t compliment it enough.

While I think that not having a shared dinner really detracts from the Chillhouse experience, I must say that the facilities are still lovely, relaxing and very clean. The staff are still super friendly and always happy to help you out.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Mooner80
Reviewed August 18, 2018

This is by far the best place to stay in Bali!!! The food is sooo good, the restaurant is amazing and I enjoyed their yoga and meditation classes so much!The rooms are huge, we had so much privacy, we felt like we were staying at our own private villa :) I would definitely recommend it!!! Can't wait to go back!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 18, 2018

I had 4 nights booked and left after 2.I love bali and have been many times but the service here was the worst. Where is the friendly Balinese vibe?There are mice in the cavasa cafe at night, understand this happens but there were 2 tables left with dirty dishes on them. My friend stayed here 2 years ago and loved it. Seems the money from the cafe is now a better profit than the chillhouse.The reception staff were terrible :(

Room tip: Always have to move rooms, even when booking in advance.
Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank egraceh
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Yoga Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2018

Hi There,

We're sorry that your stay with us wasn't what it should have been. We're not sure exactly how dishes would be left out since our staff is super diligent about this. Because like you said, it is Bali after all and there are many critters around especially with open air cafe's. But you can be sure that we had a meeting to go over the importance of making sure it's all cleared at the end of the night.

As for the reception staff, we usually have many positive reviews about them. But of course, it's possible that people have off days or certain circumstances aren't handled correctly. We're sorry that your experience with us wasn't all it could be. Hopefully, you'll give us a second chance to make it up to you.

The Chillhouse Team

Reviewed August 15, 2018

We stayed in the commune villa with our kids (5 and 6 years). It really felt like staying in a home of good friends (who happen to have a very luxurious, spacious house!): tons of German children books, many beautiful pictures of the owner's family on the walls, a smell of fresh laundry, a sunny pool, clean and comfy places to relax everywhere in the house.. Breakfast across the road was yummy, yoga and surfing lessons where very professional and tailored to individual needs. It was just magic. Definitely a difficult goodbye for all of us!

Room tip: The Commune Villa for families
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi There,

Thank you for the wonderful review which sadly got sandwiched between our only two poor reviews we've had in ages. But what can you do? We're so glad you enjoyed The Commune as much as you seemed to! We truly try to make all our rooms extra enjoyable places to stay. We're glad you coud feel the magic! ;)

The Chillhouse Family

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

I’m currently lying wide awake at 4.32am writing this review after my fourth night of broken sleep. The Chillhouse is poorly located on a roadside with much traffic noise throughout the night with the additional barking and howling of dogs (constantly), Roosters crowing and the walls are paper thin so you can hear EVERYTHING from your neighbour. I simply cannot wait to leave. Sadly this impacts the wonderful breakfasts and yoga classes on offer. #getmeoutofhere

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
4  Thank ScarRich
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Yoga Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2018

We are terribly sorry that you were awake four nights in a row. It would have been helpful if you told your sleep problem to reception the first night or two instead of not mentioning it and writing a #getmeoutofhere review. This would have given us the chance to move you to another room to help get you a get some better nights sleep. Sleep is so important!

We are in a Balinese village, so roosters and dogs are part of the game. They don't bother everyone but for light-sleeping guests we do offer earplugs at reception. Yes, the road is about 50m away with buildings in between. We do hope that you found a better place to stay.

The Chillhouse