“Surf or Chill or both”

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #1 of 127 Canggu B&B and Inns
“Surf or Chill or both”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just returned from an awesome 2 weeks at The Chillhouse. We didn't go for a package as we've surfed before and just wanted to freestyle our stay. Was looking for a relaxing holiday in a unique setting.

Pro's (and there's loads of them!)

The people who work at the Chillhouse are amazing. Friendly and always happy to help. They remember your name from day one and make you feel really welcome. The owners and their family were also super friendly!

Bintang! - The local beer is cheap, cold and excellent.

Massages: Great value (compared to European prices) and really relaxing. Pretty firm and so you have to say if you don't want to be overly tenderised. We had one every other day. Easy to book as you go.

Food: Not easy catering for loads of people each night, we found the food to be healthy and tasty. Some nights were better than others and we did eat out a couple of times but on the whole you get plenty of variety at a good standard. The juices, pancakes are great and BBQ night is not to be missed.

Surf: We didn't go for lessons but everyone who did raved about them. Early starts though, many people leaving at 6:30am to get the best swells.

Pool and chilling: We did plenty of sitting by the pool, reading a book and sipping a cocktail. This is the place for activity but the clue is in the name, it's also very chilled.

Transport and getting around: We hired motor bikes, pretty cheap and easy but the traffic and roads take a bit of getting used to. Great way to get around easily though. Taxi's were also pretty good value to and from the Chillhouse.

(Visit Deus bar very near by for great food, atmos and cool custom made motor bikes!)

The beaches in canggu are for surfing but not stunning tropical paradises. Volcanic sand, stray dogs and litter as standard. Recommend visiting Kuta for whiter sands and bluer waters.

Rooms: The Chillhouse was just undergoing some renovations while we were there. We were in a double bungalow and it was clean and simple. The outdoor bathroom was fine, but you do need your mozzy spray! (which is provided!!). AC worked a treat and the little fridge was same price as the bar so you can Bintang it up anytime.

The room did feel like it needed refreshing but I guess we just arrived a too early as work had already begun elsewhere at the retreat.

Downsides:

Noise. We had local dogs in the street next to our bungalow that liked to howl through the night. Also the renovation work (drilling) was taking place early and so the room wasn't super peaceful. I think we may have just been unlucky with our timing. Dog wise - should have taken ear plugs.

Overall: It's a lovely little oasis and lives up to it's ethos and proposition. Would recommend to couples as well as lone travellers as everyone is friendly relaxed.

Surf was okay for me, probably should have made more effort to get up and out early as the breaks were tough to paddle through later in the day. Can't comment on lessons but I only heard great things.

It is what you make of it, but you'll have fun whatever you do there.

Enjoy.

D

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi,

We are glad you had such a great time. As you know, we are just in the process of renovating our bungalows to make The Chillhouse even more beautiful. (Completed very soon.) We are mindful of keeping the noise to a minimum for our guests and appreciated your understanding during your stay.

Make sure to drop us a line next time you are here so we can give you a few free massages. :)

We really appreciate your thoughts.

Safe travels,
The Chillhouse Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Köln
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I came to the chillhouse after a recommendation of a friend. I planned a relaxed 7 day surfholiday which turned out to be even better than thought. The chillhouse is a very nice place, very clean rooms and the whole place is set up quite nice! The staff was always super friendly and helpful... First class! They also feed you quite well here, the food is very good and never the same, reeaaally good! I was specially amazed by the breakfast-lunch from 6am to 1 pm, how good is that! Also the massage deals are very good, super cheap and veeeeeery nice! Last but not least the surf.... Superb, also for beginners, the surfspots a close and very nice. Also the guides do a fantastic job, very personal, very professional and loooooads of fun! (Thanks to dedi!)
Overall a fantastic and relaxed place to spend some time to calm down and rock some waves.

I will be back, thats for sure!

RIDE ON!
Greetz from the Maldives

Manuel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 00Zero
Alex S, Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Manuel,

We want all our guest to be well fed and satisfied as we know that is what they are looking for in a great surf holiday. To see that someone from The Maldives can come here and be even more relaxed really says something about what we want our guest to experience.

We are super stoked you had a great time and look forward to having you back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

When I saw the recent reviews I was a little hesitant about chill house, but after staying there for a week last week I would definitely return!

Staff
First, the staff are really eager to please. I too had 20 mosquitoes in my room but the receptionist was there swatting them out in less than five minutes and the next day I had a can of fly spray left by housekeeping. One other night the smoke of burned offerings from next door came through the air conditioning and we had a staff member at 10:45pm on a chair hosing down down so I could sleep. Another guest wanted a green smoothie each morning because she preferred liquids before 11am and she got it. A few of the staff are a bit new, and so communication can be a bit hit and miss but their attitude is great. And I think that's the main thing.

Rooms
I had a single bungalow with a large canopy bed and each night I slept like a baby. But take earplugs, to avoid the barking dogs and (light) construction noise. I've stayed in Bali 12 times I think now and every time in a villa environment there is construction/roosters/ dogs. The outdoor bathroom is great too ...

Really nice. Pancakes and omelettes are yummy and I always felt super full at dinner - buffets were great. I am a foodie and getting a bit vegetarian now and found myself eating at the chill house always.

Location
A real village setting only a kilometre removed from expat canggu - which is like seminyak 8 years ago. If you don't mind using a scooter it's great (I'm still a bit scared but I have been given a promise to be taught by cara who handles reservations!). I got a bit annoyed by the inflated taxi prices by Bali standards but my suggestion I learned is to ask for taxi by the meter or agree on the price before you go or learn to ride a scooter around canggu if a 100000 rp fare to echo beach - only 1km away - is prohibitive for you.
On the plus side, it's not at all frantic like seminyak and I would definitely return to canggu.

Surfing
This is my first surfing trip overseas and I would say I'm a beginner-intermediate shortboarder. The instruction was first rate. They took us to the best spots to our level and got us to the best line up options for the set. They really care about improving your surf experience. And I took bigger waves, improved my style and started doing more moves with confidence.

They also have a good selection of boards for different levels - e.g I used a 6'6" board most of the time, then a 7'6" or 8 something for small wave days.

Originally I booked a 5 lesson package, then switched to a ten lesson package. However day 3 in and the surf in the afternoons was not good - windblown - so we made other arrangements. Again the service is fair and comes from the heart.

Other stuff
The massages are great value and experience - you get to listen to Indonesian or Indian chilled electronic music while you get 50min massage to remedy surf-related muscles aches for 17aud in a clean room, while i stared into a bowl of flowers. Awesome.

The pools are great to relax by and the culture is really like a big family - many Facebook friends emerged out of one week stay with people from all over the world!

All in all, great experience for the money in a surf villa setting. If you want a 'western 5 star hotel experience' don't come here. But if you want a western/Balinese mix of a Villa hospitality that really makes you chilled and a great surf experience, then please come. There is also a sense of social entrepreneurialism with the chill house that is comforting to see in Bali.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Nickyteeheehee
Hi,

Firstly thanks for the great review. Your feedback on all our departments sums up what people can expect when they visit us here. We do consider us to be one big family and when we can have a guest like yourself experience this, it really puts a smile on our face.

It was a pleasure having you and remember, Australia is only one short flight away. :)

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks with our two little kids. From the amazing food to the friendly staff, all was great. Great place for family. We stayed at the chilla villa and really loved it. The owner Alex and his wife really took great care of us. They even brought toys from their own house for our kids to play with, invited us over to play and even out to a birthday party for one of the neighborhood kids. The food is amazing and healthy. I ate like a horse and didn't gain a pound. Must have been all that surfing. Surf with Adi and Gedes - great surf guides - no fear. Surfed Pig Stone, KDG, PT, old man's, temples, and ku-de-ta. Every day in the water was like being in a movie - no joke. So much fun. Perfect waves and enormous swell. We'll be back for sure. Thanks Alex for a great stay. Keep on doing what you're doing. Great memories.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Chilla Villa. Great for family or large group. Courtyard with pool!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hi,

Thank you for the kind words. We really set out to give the same experience for all our guests, whether its for singles, a couple or family. As you found out, late in the season is still a great time in Bali. Great waves and perfect weather. I'm sure you'll be dreaming over the winter of your time here... Thanks again for your stay. We'd love to have you back one day.

Safe Travels
World
Reviewed October 9, 2013

About a year ago, I started surfing. I have been on a few surfing trips since, but am still a beginner. I have also been to Bali before and even though I liked it, I didn't fall in love with it. I was hesitant about returning, but had friends raving about Bali generally and surfing on Bali specifically so I figured I'd give it another try. I checked out a few surfcamps and decided on this.

The Chillhouse is the perfect place for any surfer. It is not a party place, if you are into that kind of thing, you better stay somewhere else. I came here to surf and well, chill, and got what I wanted.

The place is gorgeous. It has two pools, a pool bar, an own massage place (at a fee of course, which is a bit higher than in the massage parlors on the street in Bali, but the therapists are very good), offers yoga classes, has a pool/billiard table and huge pool beds to just relax.

I booked the Surf Star package which included three massages, yoga classes, and of course five surf lessons. The lessons are one instructor per two students which is a very good ratio - I've taken lessons with 10 students in one class (awful) and private lessons - this 2:1 was basically like a private lesson. The instructors are young, but experienced and most are understanding, patient and really help you to improve your surfing skills. We also received a videocoaching session and a few photos of our surfing.

The package also includes all breakfasts and dinners. Breakfasts start early (as surfing is early in the morning) and usually lasts until around 1pm so that you can eat both before and when returning from your morning surf session. Dinner is at 7pm and while some felt a little constrained as it was at a specific time every night, I personally didn't mind. On some evenings, there's a buffet, on others a set four-course meal. Cuisine varies, it is usually a mix of Indonesian/Asian and Western. Of course your not obliged to eat there and can go somewhere else whenever you like.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful, they always remember the name of each guest and greet you personally whenever they see you. The dinner staff was extremely upbeat and fun!

Pick-up and drop-off from/to the airport is free of charge and worked well. The Chillhouse is located a little bit out of the way. They have free shuttle services to Kuta for instance, but there are few restaurants and bars within walking distance. Of course taxis are cheap, but if variety in terms of dinners/restaurants etc and going out at night are important to you, you may want to look into other places as well.

I had a single room which was nice and big enough. All rooms have an outdoor bathroom, which I personally liked a lot, as well as a patio (size depending on room type). There may be the odd gecko, mosquito or ant in the bathroom and the bedroom, but hey, you will see that in Bali at any rate, even in very upscale places.

The other guests too were amazing, they're not the very youngest, but most were in their late 20s/early 30s, definitely into surfing rather than partying all night. We got along well as a group, dat together at night for a beer and also organized a few trips around the island. All very relaxed and easygoing. I may just have been lucky of course.

For me, this place was worth every penny and I will for sure return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Samaire1
Alex S, Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hi,

Thanks so much for the great comments. We really work hard on all areas for our guests and are so stoked when all their expectations achieved. Happy to get you smiling.

Its nice to hear that we restored your faith in Bali and what it can offer. We would love to have you back here soon to continue your surfing quest. Keep riding and......

switzerland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Chillhouse in May 2012 and decided to return this year with my boyfriend. Unfortunately, I quickly realized, that a few things have changed over the past year. Two weeks before our arrival in Bali, I quickly wanted to confirm our airport pick-up and emailed the girl Petra, with whom I had been in touch for the reservations. I never received a response from her and was later informed that she had left the Chillhouse - and left all mails unanswered?
At check-in we were presented with an additional bill, which nobody could properly explain to us. Also, as opposed to last year, we were only offered the promised goodies, once we had actually asked for them. The A-Z guide was nowhere to be found in our room and the "free T-shirt" collection was reduced to a very limited choice.
Due to the fully booked place, we stayed in the Chillorner, a newly built complex with 3 rooms. The rooms were okey, though I am unsure why they would be more expensive than the rooms in the main complex? Also, the outdoor bathroom walls were covered in mold (?) that smelled horribly. It would be so easy to wash down the walls every once in a while to get rid of the awful smell - but instead you feel like it's an overpriced joke that has been played on you. Also the toilets smelled terribly, and there was nothing luxurious about it as it is mentioned on the webpage ("luxury but not sterile").
The massages were also a rip off: they are priced at 180'000 rupiah and were supposed to take an hour. The massage was over after 35min... how disappointing!! Especially considering that a few meters further up the street, you'll get a proper 1 hour massage for 80'000 rupiah.
The bikes that are free to take are in a terrible state. The breaks barely work, the whole mechanics are very rusty and dirty, and you feel like the bicycles are about to break down any minute.
We also asked if we could go surfing during the weekend. They wanted to charge us 110 Euros for two of us to go with 1 teacher, for about 2 hours in the water. 110 Euros is about a monthly salary in Indonesia!!! We were outraged! We paid so much for our stay at the Chillhouse, and then an additional class would be such a rip off! When we asked if we could just join the shuttle (bear in mind, the Chillhouse is NOT by the beach), we were also asked to pay for the surf shuttle to take us to Tugu Beach, where we'd surf. It was only after checking with other guests, that we were told that there is a complimentary beach shuttle - which the receptionists just didn't bother to tell us about. She was seriously trying to first sell us an overpriced surf lesson and then later make us pay for a shuttle, which was free and left the Chillhouse at 9am.
The only thing that remained unchanged and that I will continue raving about are the surf lessons. The one-on-one courses are incredible! The teachers (Bull and Agus, thanks guys!!!!) are very motivating and enthusiastic. I would say the surf classes are worth the money, but if I were you, I would definitely stay outside of the Chillhouse. You'll get FAR MORE for FAR LESS by staying in another complex.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank worldtraveller22284
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We are always looking on ways to improve our service here and comments, negative or positive, helps us to do so. Just to inform you though, our pricing for massages and surf lessons are the same since your last visit as is our location.

We always want our guests to feel loved here and feel part of our Chillhouse family. More often than not we achieve that as you can see in the overwhelmingly positive response you find here on Trip Advisor.

I have taken note of your comments and passed this onto staff. Thank you.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed 1 week at the chillhouse and it was a very frustrating week of vacation. Because of the pretty good tripadvisor reviews our expectations were somewhat high but prolonged lack of sleep made me hate the place a lot when we left.

Room

They claim to be a retreat rather than a surfcamp, but honestly i've seen nicer surfcamps. We had a 2 person bungalow which at first impression seemed pretty dark and had seen better times. Although it was not especially dirty there was a lot of dust in the corners and on the wardrobe. The mosquitonet had many holes and dirtspots. There was no TV (ok you don't need that on a surfingtrip) and storageplace was limited. The Bathroom was outdoors, which sounds quite romantic in your imagination, but beeing attacked by a trizillion mosquitos when you use the toilet at dusk or dawn, really isn't. There was a big terrace under a sunroof which was quite nice to hang out at, there were also many mosquitos every time of the day. Mosquitos were actually a very big issue, we spent at least 20 minutes every evening trying get rid of as many as possible in the room. The mosquitonet helped a bit, but as said before the holes were big enough for a few to enter the net during the night.
The worst thing was the noise. On the other side of the wall next to the bed was a tiny street, in which some locals had a workshop or constructionsite and they would start to work sometimes before 7 am. It was like they hammered right next to your head and there was no chance of sleep. But by that time we were already awake anyway because of the barking dogs. They typically barked the whole evening until 11pm then occasionaly during the night and were in full rage again by 5 to 6am.
Sleeping only around 5 hours every night is just not enough and we were tired all the time. Catching up sleep during the day was also no option due to the construction and dogs. After 2 nights we asked for another room, which they gave us for 2 nights. This Room was in another building across the street and although still not quiet, it was a lot better. There were also a lot less mosquitos. Having to move back to the old Bungalow for the last night was a bitter pill to swallow. We paid 900 Euro for the week (without surfguiding) and should have gone to some really nice resort instead of sleeping in this shed

Surfing

The surfing was nice. The local guides are very encouraged to get you on the board and the concept of 1 guide for a maximum of 2 people was great. Videoanalysis was very interesting and helped us to recognise mistakes really quickly. They had a nice collection of surfboards to chose from.

Staff&Massage

The staff was mostly really nice and really tried to do their best. It was sometimes hard to communicate with them as many had limited english language skills. We tried several massges, which were great. The prices though were really high compared to other places in Bali. A traditional massage of 50 minutes would set you back 170000 Rupiah, in the Spas outside of the resorts you can get 1 hour of massage for 50000 Rupiah. There was no significant difference in quality between the two.

Location and Transportation

The chillhouse is located 2 km from the beach and we knew that before. But actually getting to the beach was not so easy. They provide shuttles but only every few hours which is not very convenient. There is the possibility to borrow a bike for free which is a nice gesture, but the bikes they provide a real wrecks. They hardly had air in the tires and were quite rusty. Combine that with a dangerous road and no working light on the bike guaranteed for an uneasy ride. There was the possibility to rent a Scooter with them acting as an intermediary, but the scooters were not well maintained and the worst is that there was no insurance (you have to sign that you accept this).

Verdict

For us it was a wasted week of vacations due to the constant fatigue and frustration. I would have liked to talk to the owner as I alway think its better to talk and maybe find an agreement rather then just [--] afterwards. Unfortunately I never saw any of them, and the local receptionists had a hard time understanding even small requests.
It's definitely not the kind of experience we expected after reading the old reviews. It now seems that only money matters. One example: When asked to purchase an extra guided surf session for 2 people they charge 110 euro for 2-3 hours. If you now consider the cheap cost of labour ( a surfguide in Bali makes less than 150 Euro a month) it's just ridiculous.
If you go there book a nice hotel and only take the surfguiding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Freakonomy
Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that your experience here was disappointing. Unfortunately there is a lot of construction in Bali at this time and some circumstances are beyond our control (local construction, dogs and the odd mosquito) We recognize this and try to accommodate guests where we can but even through our many efforts still fall short of guests expectations.

In saying this I appreciate the positive comments regarding our staff and surfing. We are always looking at working on improvements and your feedback has been noted and passed onto staff.