Just returned from an awesome 2 weeks at The Chillhouse. We didn't go for a package as we've surfed before and just wanted to freestyle our stay. Was looking for a relaxing holiday in a unique setting.
Pro's (and there's loads of them!)
The people who work at the Chillhouse are amazing. Friendly and always happy to help. They remember your name from day one and make you feel really welcome. The owners and their family were also super friendly!
Bintang! - The local beer is cheap, cold and excellent.
Massages: Great value (compared to European prices) and really relaxing. Pretty firm and so you have to say if you don't want to be overly tenderised. We had one every other day. Easy to book as you go.
Food: Not easy catering for loads of people each night, we found the food to be healthy and tasty. Some nights were better than others and we did eat out a couple of times but on the whole you get plenty of variety at a good standard. The juices, pancakes are great and BBQ night is not to be missed.
Surf: We didn't go for lessons but everyone who did raved about them. Early starts though, many people leaving at 6:30am to get the best swells.
Pool and chilling: We did plenty of sitting by the pool, reading a book and sipping a cocktail. This is the place for activity but the clue is in the name, it's also very chilled.
Transport and getting around: We hired motor bikes, pretty cheap and easy but the traffic and roads take a bit of getting used to. Great way to get around easily though. Taxi's were also pretty good value to and from the Chillhouse.
(Visit Deus bar very near by for great food, atmos and cool custom made motor bikes!)
The beaches in canggu are for surfing but not stunning tropical paradises. Volcanic sand, stray dogs and litter as standard. Recommend visiting Kuta for whiter sands and bluer waters.
Rooms: The Chillhouse was just undergoing some renovations while we were there. We were in a double bungalow and it was clean and simple. The outdoor bathroom was fine, but you do need your mozzy spray! (which is provided!!). AC worked a treat and the little fridge was same price as the bar so you can Bintang it up anytime.
The room did feel like it needed refreshing but I guess we just arrived a too early as work had already begun elsewhere at the retreat.
Noise. We had local dogs in the street next to our bungalow that liked to howl through the night. Also the renovation work (drilling) was taking place early and so the room wasn't super peaceful. I think we may have just been unlucky with our timing. Dog wise - should have taken ear plugs.
Overall: It's a lovely little oasis and lives up to it's ethos and proposition. Would recommend to couples as well as lone travellers as everyone is friendly relaxed.
Surf was okay for me, probably should have made more effort to get up and out early as the breaks were tough to paddle through later in the day. Can't comment on lessons but I only heard great things.
It is what you make of it, but you'll have fun whatever you do there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chillhouse is a surf and bike retreat situated in Canggu amongst the rice fields on the southern shores of Bali. Our Bali Surf Retreats offer guest's quality accommodation and delicious organic meals, along with surf guiding, massage treatments and yoga sessions. It is a place where you can indulge in an unforgettable surfing holiday, filled with endless waves and maximum comfort.The emphasis of course, is on surfing but our retreats aren't just about chasing waves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chillhouse Hotel Canggu
- The Chillhouse - Bali Surf And Bike Retreats Canggu