“Best surfcamp in the world”

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #1 of 144 Canggu B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2013

About a year ago, I started surfing. I have been on a few surfing trips since, but am still a beginner. I have also been to Bali before and even though I liked it, I didn't fall in love with it. I was hesitant about returning, but had friends raving about Bali generally and surfing on Bali specifically so I figured I'd give it another try. I checked out a few surfcamps and decided on this.

The Chillhouse is the perfect place for any surfer. It is not a party place, if you are into that kind of thing, you better stay somewhere else. I came here to surf and well, chill, and got what I wanted.

The place is gorgeous. It has two pools, a pool bar, an own massage place (at a fee of course, which is a bit higher than in the massage parlors on the street in Bali, but the therapists are very good), offers yoga classes, has a pool/billiard table and huge pool beds to just relax.

I booked the Surf Star package which included three massages, yoga classes, and of course five surf lessons. The lessons are one instructor per two students which is a very good ratio - I've taken lessons with 10 students in one class (awful) and private lessons - this 2:1 was basically like a private lesson. The instructors are young, but experienced and most are understanding, patient and really help you to improve your surfing skills. We also received a videocoaching session and a few photos of our surfing.

The package also includes all breakfasts and dinners. Breakfasts start early (as surfing is early in the morning) and usually lasts until around 1pm so that you can eat both before and when returning from your morning surf session. Dinner is at 7pm and while some felt a little constrained as it was at a specific time every night, I personally didn't mind. On some evenings, there's a buffet, on others a set four-course meal. Cuisine varies, it is usually a mix of Indonesian/Asian and Western. Of course your not obliged to eat there and can go somewhere else whenever you like.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful, they always remember the name of each guest and greet you personally whenever they see you. The dinner staff was extremely upbeat and fun!

Pick-up and drop-off from/to the airport is free of charge and worked well. The Chillhouse is located a little bit out of the way. They have free shuttle services to Kuta for instance, but there are few restaurants and bars within walking distance. Of course taxis are cheap, but if variety in terms of dinners/restaurants etc and going out at night are important to you, you may want to look into other places as well.

I had a single room which was nice and big enough. All rooms have an outdoor bathroom, which I personally liked a lot, as well as a patio (size depending on room type). There may be the odd gecko, mosquito or ant in the bathroom and the bedroom, but hey, you will see that in Bali at any rate, even in very upscale places.

The other guests too were amazing, they're not the very youngest, but most were in their late 20s/early 30s, definitely into surfing rather than partying all night. We got along well as a group, dat together at night for a beer and also organized a few trips around the island. All very relaxed and easygoing. I may just have been lucky of course.

For me, this place was worth every penny and I will for sure return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Samaire1
Alex S, Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hi,

Thanks so much for the great comments. We really work hard on all areas for our guests and are so stoked when all their expectations achieved. Happy to get you smiling.

Its nice to hear that we restored your faith in Bali and what it can offer. We would love to have you back here soon to continue your surfing quest. Keep riding and......

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Chillhouse in May 2012 and decided to return this year with my boyfriend. Unfortunately, I quickly realized, that a few things have changed over the past year. Two weeks before our arrival in Bali, I quickly wanted to confirm our airport pick-up and emailed the girl Petra, with whom I had been in touch for the reservations. I never received a response from her and was later informed that she had left the Chillhouse - and left all mails unanswered?
At check-in we were presented with an additional bill, which nobody could properly explain to us. Also, as opposed to last year, we were only offered the promised goodies, once we had actually asked for them. The A-Z guide was nowhere to be found in our room and the "free T-shirt" collection was reduced to a very limited choice.
Due to the fully booked place, we stayed in the Chillorner, a newly built complex with 3 rooms. The rooms were okey, though I am unsure why they would be more expensive than the rooms in the main complex? Also, the outdoor bathroom walls were covered in mold (?) that smelled horribly. It would be so easy to wash down the walls every once in a while to get rid of the awful smell - but instead you feel like it's an overpriced joke that has been played on you. Also the toilets smelled terribly, and there was nothing luxurious about it as it is mentioned on the webpage ("luxury but not sterile").
The massages were also a rip off: they are priced at 180'000 rupiah and were supposed to take an hour. The massage was over after 35min... how disappointing!! Especially considering that a few meters further up the street, you'll get a proper 1 hour massage for 80'000 rupiah.
The bikes that are free to take are in a terrible state. The breaks barely work, the whole mechanics are very rusty and dirty, and you feel like the bicycles are about to break down any minute.
We also asked if we could go surfing during the weekend. They wanted to charge us 110 Euros for two of us to go with 1 teacher, for about 2 hours in the water. 110 Euros is about a monthly salary in Indonesia!!! We were outraged! We paid so much for our stay at the Chillhouse, and then an additional class would be such a rip off! When we asked if we could just join the shuttle (bear in mind, the Chillhouse is NOT by the beach), we were also asked to pay for the surf shuttle to take us to Tugu Beach, where we'd surf. It was only after checking with other guests, that we were told that there is a complimentary beach shuttle - which the receptionists just didn't bother to tell us about. She was seriously trying to first sell us an overpriced surf lesson and then later make us pay for a shuttle, which was free and left the Chillhouse at 9am.
The only thing that remained unchanged and that I will continue raving about are the surf lessons. The one-on-one courses are incredible! The teachers (Bull and Agus, thanks guys!!!!) are very motivating and enthusiastic. I would say the surf classes are worth the money, but if I were you, I would definitely stay outside of the Chillhouse. You'll get FAR MORE for FAR LESS by staying in another complex.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank worldtraveller22284

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We are always looking on ways to improve our service here and comments, negative or positive, helps us to do so. Just to inform you though, our pricing for massages and surf lessons are the same since your last visit as is our location.

We always want our guests to feel loved here and feel part of our Chillhouse family. More often than not we achieve that as you can see in the overwhelmingly positive response you find here on Trip Advisor.

I have taken note of your comments and passed this onto staff. Thank you.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed 1 week at the chillhouse and it was a very frustrating week of vacation. Because of the pretty good tripadvisor reviews our expectations were somewhat high but prolonged lack of sleep made me hate the place a lot when we left.

Room

They claim to be a retreat rather than a surfcamp, but honestly i've seen nicer surfcamps. We had a 2 person bungalow which at first impression seemed pretty dark and had seen better times. Although it was not especially dirty there was a lot of dust in the corners and on the wardrobe. The mosquitonet had many holes and dirtspots. There was no TV (ok you don't need that on a surfingtrip) and storageplace was limited. The Bathroom was outdoors, which sounds quite romantic in your imagination, but beeing attacked by a trizillion mosquitos when you use the toilet at dusk or dawn, really isn't. There was a big terrace under a sunroof which was quite nice to hang out at, there were also many mosquitos every time of the day. Mosquitos were actually a very big issue, we spent at least 20 minutes every evening trying get rid of as many as possible in the room. The mosquitonet helped a bit, but as said before the holes were big enough for a few to enter the net during the night.
The worst thing was the noise. On the other side of the wall next to the bed was a tiny street, in which some locals had a workshop or constructionsite and they would start to work sometimes before 7 am. It was like they hammered right next to your head and there was no chance of sleep. But by that time we were already awake anyway because of the barking dogs. They typically barked the whole evening until 11pm then occasionaly during the night and were in full rage again by 5 to 6am.
Sleeping only around 5 hours every night is just not enough and we were tired all the time. Catching up sleep during the day was also no option due to the construction and dogs. After 2 nights we asked for another room, which they gave us for 2 nights. This Room was in another building across the street and although still not quiet, it was a lot better. There were also a lot less mosquitos. Having to move back to the old Bungalow for the last night was a bitter pill to swallow. We paid 900 Euro for the week (without surfguiding) and should have gone to some really nice resort instead of sleeping in this shed

Surfing

The surfing was nice. The local guides are very encouraged to get you on the board and the concept of 1 guide for a maximum of 2 people was great. Videoanalysis was very interesting and helped us to recognise mistakes really quickly. They had a nice collection of surfboards to chose from.

Staff&Massage

The staff was mostly really nice and really tried to do their best. It was sometimes hard to communicate with them as many had limited english language skills. We tried several massges, which were great. The prices though were really high compared to other places in Bali. A traditional massage of 50 minutes would set you back 170000 Rupiah, in the Spas outside of the resorts you can get 1 hour of massage for 50000 Rupiah. There was no significant difference in quality between the two.

Location and Transportation

The chillhouse is located 2 km from the beach and we knew that before. But actually getting to the beach was not so easy. They provide shuttles but only every few hours which is not very convenient. There is the possibility to borrow a bike for free which is a nice gesture, but the bikes they provide a real wrecks. They hardly had air in the tires and were quite rusty. Combine that with a dangerous road and no working light on the bike guaranteed for an uneasy ride. There was the possibility to rent a Scooter with them acting as an intermediary, but the scooters were not well maintained and the worst is that there was no insurance (you have to sign that you accept this).

Verdict

For us it was a wasted week of vacations due to the constant fatigue and frustration. I would have liked to talk to the owner as I alway think its better to talk and maybe find an agreement rather then just [--] afterwards. Unfortunately I never saw any of them, and the local receptionists had a hard time understanding even small requests.
It's definitely not the kind of experience we expected after reading the old reviews. It now seems that only money matters. One example: When asked to purchase an extra guided surf session for 2 people they charge 110 euro for 2-3 hours. If you now consider the cheap cost of labour ( a surfguide in Bali makes less than 150 Euro a month) it's just ridiculous.
If you go there book a nice hotel and only take the surfguiding.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Freakonomy

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that your experience here was disappointing. Unfortunately there is a lot of construction in Bali at this time and some circumstances are beyond our control (local construction, dogs and the odd mosquito) We recognize this and try to accommodate guests where we can but even through our many efforts still fall short of guests expectations.

In saying this I appreciate the positive comments regarding our staff and surfing. We are always looking at working on improvements and your feedback has been noted and passed onto staff.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I'd like to commend the entire Chillhouse team for providing such a safe, abundant, and happy space for me to play during my holiday this Sept 2013. I felt like one of a family, everyone was amazingly inclusive and warm here. Alex came out to greet everyone and make sure we had what we needed. The head coach, Made, was always checking in. My surf instructor (Jambul) went out of his way to find me great (and safe) surf spots, encouraged me to get over my fear of the water, patiently coached & video-coached... and the coaches serenaded us with Indonesian melodies at night! The waiters and service personnel all knew us by name and exactly what our preferences were. And the other guests were also great sports, sharing in the abundance and co-creating wonderful experiences in the waters. One makes friends so easily!

The hotel is only 5 minutes from Tugu Temple Beach, which was where i learned to surf. It's an incredible meeting of waves and beginners. I mean, clean, sandy, no-fish, crystal clear waters, excellent moderate temperatures, and pretty white waves. And a great landmark, the Tugu Temple, to figure out how to stay away from currents. Sure, I got machine-washed a few times due to the strong shorebreak, and I now have the Indian ocean between my ears, but it was all worth it!!! There was a photographer on hand who took amazing shots and videos of us all surfing every morning; great idea to have these wonderful memories to take home with you.

The hotel is amazing. I loved the food. Mealtimes was great because I got to connect with other like-minded travellers and play with two awesome dogs and two awesome cats who live there. Loved the single bungalow I stayed in (Melamun RIght). Enjoyed the orchestra of geckos and frogs and pigeons cooing at precisely 6pm every evening (They are sooo cute!). The sounds of pigeons cooing above my bungalow was surreal.... a lot like Dali's master bedroom on the beach in Portlligat (Cadaques, Spain). Incredibly romantic atmosphere. I enjoyed sunbathing poolside... and the massage where two people work on you at once (Chillhouse Bliss)... was, well: Chillhouse Bliss!!! The guys who designed this place were geniuses. I was also incredibly pleased with the array of books in the shaded lounge by the poolside. I didn't need to worry about having nothing to read in my spare time!

Great job, Chillhouse! See you again many times in the coming years :-)

Room Tip: Lots of privacy and space in the single bungalows - and next to a temple, for good joss!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Hi,

Thanks so much for the kind words. It a great feeling to bring the stoke to your surfing life. We're blessed to have such a great location we can share with others.

We look forward to having you back. You're part of the family now...... ;)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just got home from a 2 week stay at the Chillhouse and have never been so sad to get home! From the second you arrive and are greeted with a "welcome home", and you really do feel it. The staff are wonderful and very attentive to any needs, the rooms are great and the hardest decisions you have to make during your stay are what time to have a massage or whether to get another pancake (try the banana with honey, mmm).

I had never surfed before this trip and my guide was great, had me standing up on the first day and by the end I felt quite confident to keep going on my own! The video coaching is great as well, we call it 'bali's funniest home videos'!

The atmosphere at the chillhouse is also unlike anywhere I've ever stayed. As a solo traveller it can be pretty hit and miss but all the guests were so lovely and I made some really great friends in my time there.

My only advice is book any day trips yourself as the prices for tours at the chillhouse are way too high. You can get a driver for a half page for about $40 and there are always groups of people happy to come along and split this with you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank julia w
Alex S, General Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi,

Thanks you so much for you lovely review. It's great to see you had such a great time. It gives us a great feeling to know how stoked you were to be up and riding the waves in no time.

We'd love to have you back one day, so drop us a line if there's anything you need.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were looking forward to staying at Chillhouse; there were 4 of us girls. We're big into adventure, healthy eating, yoga and relaxing by the pool. Upon arrival we were presented with additional bills which the Receptionist was unable to explain the reason for. When we tried to understand the purpose of these additional bills, she could not explain and said we could sort out later. Our first impressions of this place were great - the pool area, bar area, it felt very private but comfortable. Our rooms were quite small given they had squeezed 3 beds into our room (and charged us each the same amount, even though there were other rooms with only 2 ppl who had paid the same amount - the Eat & Stay package should split the room price by number of people sleeping in the room), the outdoor bathroom was large and looked great, although during our stay we had a strong sewerage smell, the toilet didn't flush properly, and most of our showers were cold. Any food we ordered during the day and paid for outside of our Sleep & Eat package was great! But the inclusive food was not at all what we expected - very hit and miss. The daily breakfast was scarce, and some days they didn't even provide fresh fruit, which is what I mainly eat on a mostly raw vegan/fruitarian diet, and what the Chillhouse website raves on about 'fresh fruit and water all day long'. The eggs and pancakes they made fresh were good, but otherwise the only options were milk or black rice bread, or cereal. When we asked for fresh fruit then would only cut up a small amount. They offered us wheatgrass shots and coconuts which we happily accepted, but then a couple of days later would approach us with a bill for the cut up fruit, wheatgrass shots and coconuts, when the staff never mentioned they were extra!! I was a bit disappointed with the food, given it's made out to be a organic food retreat, I was expecting some great salads and lots of fruit and fresh healthy options. Dinners were sometimes ok eg the moroccan buffet, the seafood bbq, but other times where terrible and very deep fried and cheaply made. I was on a package which was yoga and massages, although I only got 4 out of my 7 included massages as they only allow you to book massages for that day, and by the time we'd get to breakfast the other guests had taken up the slots and I missed out. When I asked if I could book my massages in advance for the other days to avoid missing out I was told no. When we checked out we were slug with other bills for things we weren't told were extra cost, which we argued and didn't have to pay. Also, the bills from our initial check in were re-presented to us, apparently charges for the owner receiving our money into her bank account, even though we'd done direct international transfers into their bank account and my bank had charged me to do so. When I argued why I should be paying their bank fees also, and why we'd not been advised of this from the outset, they agreed to drop the charges.
Staying at the Chillhouse is not cheap, and we expected more for our money. Overall we were let down by the negatives, and I would not recommend to others. Canggu itself was awesome, well worth visiting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shilo28
Alex S, General Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hi,

Firstly we are sorry to hear that your experience was not to your expectations. We are always looking to bring the best outcome for all our guests.

On your points with regards to our pricing: packages, extra persons costs & food/drink inclusion information can be seen clearly on our website online.

From time to time, not matter how good our intentions are, things like this may happen but as you can see from our reviews here, we more often than not meet these expectations.

That being said, we appreciate all the feedback we get and will work on improving the areas you mentioned.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were really impressed with the quality of the room: ac, fridge, cool outdoor bathroom, pleasant pool. The staff are friendly and the food on the all inclusive deal is good and plentiful. It is a bit on the pricey side however, especially for the surf lessons. As beginners, we ended up Changuu beach for the entire week. Our instructor was a really nice guy, but he didn't give us that much coaching - bit of language barrier still at work for the subtle stuff. Surfing is priced at €50 a session, but you can ride a bike down there for free in 10 minutes and hire a board for €4. I think more advanced surfers will get more value for money as they tour around a few reefs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin I
Alex S, General Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hi,

The Chillhouse always aims to provide our guests the best experience possible when first learning to surf, especially as we are the only ones who limit 1 surf guide to 2 people. There are cheaper options out there but what they won't teach you is things like wave etiquette, line ups and general ocean knowledge. Our lessons take place in a learner-friendly area so you can slowly develop your skills and learn to surf the right way. This is not only for your protection but also for the protection of other surfers in the ocean.

For advanced surfers we are always happy to pass on our knowledge for where to surf the excellent reef breaks in other areas.

All the same, we appreciate any feedback we get here. Good luck on your surfing quest.