“What's in a name!?”

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #1 of 149 Canggu B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My stay at the chillhouse was wonderful. It was great to be able to relax at the pool, have some nice cocktails there after a day of surfing. I would have given 5 stars, if we had had that excellent Indonesian food every day. I love the Indonesian kitchen, so an oriental evening complete with falavel, hummus and baklava or lasagna/pizza on Bali, was not for me... Give me rendang, sate ayam and nasi goreng any time!
The surroundings are lush and the rooms are very pretty!
For my next stay, I will definitely book the chillhouse again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Alex S, Manager at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Hi Ilja,

Thank you for your review, yes we love indonesian food as well. But not everybody does and we need to mix the meals to make as many people as much happy with the food ;-)
Our experience shows us that the indonesian spices aren't for everyone.

Best regards and see you again.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I recently spent a week at The Chillhouse on the Surfs Up package. I have never felt so at home when so far away. The staff are lovely, accommodation clean, food plentiful and atmosphere relaxed but fun. I could not recommend it more. I shall be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sian S

Hi Sian,

Thank you for your nice words, we had a great time with you as well.

Hopefully we can meet you soon again.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Chillhouse is everything you could want in a surf camp / hotel / holiday. I can't rate it enough.

The staff are really friendly, the rooms and grounds are wonderfully laid out with great chill areas and a couple of pools. The surf instructors are helpful and great fun, and the included massages are an excellent addition!

Breakfast is outstanding (and second breakfast post surf!), and the lunches and dinners are equally outstanding. There are free bikes to rent and take around the area and the location itself is close enough to Kuta/Seminyak/Legian that you can get in and get anything you want if you need.

Also great owners who had great tips for the rest of Bali (go to De Potrek villas in Amed!!).

A little expensive for Bali but a bargain in comparison to anywhere else. Loved it.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your great review, we are happy to hear that we made your stay feel at home.

Hope to see you again at The Chillhouse.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Well we just spent our second stay at Chillhouse in under a year, that's how much we like it!
The entire staff really makes you feel like family which is totally the vibe Alex and Sabina had worked so hard to build. Great Food based on local dishes, great massages, and a new pool, Yoga, bar chill out area is beautiful. The Surf instructors are super.
Both times we have met wonderful other guests as well, and they have great relationships with other businesses in the area (like the Canggu Club) if you want facilities not at the Chillhouse.
It was just the best. ;-)
If you are going to Bali this is the best

Around the area However...
Bali and the Canggu area has gotten more busy (new building everywhere) and I was a bit freaked out by the HUGE amount of GARBAGE on the beaches.
I know the Chillhouse spearheads beach clean up in the one closest to them but the rest of the country has not really caught on, so if you are not on a main beach you get to wade through plastic bottles, old lighters, toothbrushes and worse. Hopefully other businesses, locals and tourist will pitch in and help get and keep the beaches cleaner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen H
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Yeah, welcome back, thanx for being with us again!
Yes I know, garbage is a big issue on Bali, especially in wet season. We do all we can, not only with our hands and attitude, but also what goes to education of the locals. As you say, let's pitch in and make a difference!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Chillhouse for four nights over the New Year and we could not have been happier with our stay. On planning out trip to Bali my friend really wanted to learn how to surf and I really just wanted to chill out. I did a bit of research and found the Chillhouse and thought it sounded like the perfect place for us. And it was!

From check-in to check-out the staff was extremely friendly, warm, and helpful in every possible way. They were ever ready to help with anything and everything we needed from booking transport and tours to helping us find a fun spot to spend the new year.

We stayed in the ChillaVilla, a short walk from the main house. Our room was very spacious and had two twin beds and a day bed(which helped GREATLY when packing). The patio was great for lounging and reading a book. One of my favorite parts of the house was the beautiful outdoor bathroom.

The amenities at the main Chillhouse complex were great. The have two pools on the grounds, both with great places to layout and relax. The bar was very inviting and was always ready to remind us that it was Bintang time! The yoga shala was also a great place to take in a yoga class. Yoga is definitely much better when practiced in an open shala with a view of a Balinese neighborhood as opposed to a cramped city studio! The communal dining room was also great. The meals were delicious and varied- we never ate the same thing twice. And the communal dining setting made it really easy to meet fellow guests.

Speaking of the guests, they may have been my favorite part of staying at the Chillhouse. I met such a varied group of amazing people. It was sad to leave the Chillhouse but when we did, we came away with the best souvenirs ever- new friends from around the world!

Room Tip: The Chilla Villa was a decent place to stay but being in the main complex would've been much mor...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for your great review, I am stoked that you had a great Bintang time!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Amazing place, the most polite and helful staff who learn your name, fantastic food, lovely clean and well kept rooms and awesome outdoor bathrooms, and great surf lessons and massages. Would definitely go back and would recommend to any one.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be excellent. The Chillavilla has shared bathrooms but not really a problem as...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thanks for the great review, i am happy that we could make your stay a great one and i will certainly pass on the good words to our team!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had my best vacation ever at The Chillhouse in late 2009 . Stayed at the Chillhouse for 4 weeks and enjoyed every second of it. The atmosphere is the best, very welcoming (thanks Putu!), friendly staff, awesome food and incredible surf coaching with mostly one to one teaching or two students per surf guide. As a beginner, surfing all the great spots nearby, this gave me a very close follow up and made my surfing skills grow fast.

Had some great day trips surfing on the north-western side of Bali, and a few boat trips over to Lembongan for surfing. I'm really looking forward to go back this spring. I will warmly recommend this great retreat to everyone wanting a relaxing surfing holiday including great food and friendly people.

Room Tip: Gery Lopez treetoploft. Its possible to sleep outside on the third floor where you can have a break...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thanks for the awesome review!
Yeah, Norten, that's the way to go, sleep on the 3rd floor of the Gerry Lopez Treetop Loft yewww!