“Welcomeing, friendly and a great place learning to surf!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats

The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
Ranked #2 of 105 Canggu B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Welcomeing, friendly and a great place learning to surf!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had my best vacation ever at The Chillhouse in late 2009 . Stayed at the Chillhouse for 4 weeks and enjoyed every second of it. The atmosphere is the best, very welcoming (thanks Putu!), friendly staff, awesome food and incredible surf coaching with mostly one to one teaching or two students per surf guide. As a beginner, surfing all the great spots nearby, this gave me a very close follow up and made my surfing skills grow fast.

Had some great day trips surfing on the north-western side of Bali, and a few boat trips over to Lembongan for surfing. I'm really looking forward to go back this spring. I will warmly recommend this great retreat to everyone wanting a relaxing surfing holiday including great food and friendly people.

Room Tip: Gery Lopez treetoploft. Its possible to sleep outside on the third floor where you can have a break...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks for the awesome review!
Yeah, Norten, that's the way to go, sleep on the 3rd floor of the Gerry Lopez Treetop Loft yewww!
Alex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked for a week in November and ended up staying an extra 3 days as I enjoyed it so much. As a total beginner surfer I was very impressed with the surf coaching from how the daily surfing is organised to my surf coach ( we were all 1:1 the week I was there) who was very attentive but also encouraged/pushed me in the water to keep going to get the best out of each session.

The Chillhouse itself is a perfect set up for relaxing after surfing with great massages and 2 lovely pool areas. I loved the long brunches and in general found the food excellent (the best dinners were the Friday BBQ and the buffets with wonderful fresh salads, fish etc). The communal dining really encourages guests to interact and I made some great friends whilst I was there.

The staff are excellent and clearly well trained, on the first day they all seem to know your name which lends a very personal touch to any interaction with them, plus they are so very friendly and helpful.

Only drawback was the very intermittent wifi and I stayed in the Chilla villa which is good value but no way near as nice as the main Chillhouse.

I will be back very soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the awesome review!
I am so happy that The Chillhouse Team could make your holiday so memorable and that you'll be back!
yew!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Chillhouse is relaxed and an awesome spot to stay. The surf coaching is one on one and the guides are really great.. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the food is fabulous. Everyone eats together so as a solo traveller it is really great to socialise. I would definitely go back there! The Massage Prices are a little high, but if you can afford it the masseuse are really good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hi Megan!
Thanks heaps for that great review!
I trained the massage therapists myself, so a lot of energy from my side is in the massages we offer. If you compare the price of one massage at The Chillhouse for EUR 15,- with the standard back home (EUR 55,- or around US$ 60 in the States), i think it not that overprized! But you are right, one can get a regular Balinese massage at the beach for way less - one can also call that an "oiling" ...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

The ambiance can't be beat -- staff is friendly and helpful, very family atmosphere. Not a formal hotel experience but more like a camp -- the guides are truly looking for the best local breaks for the surfers and the anxiety is all from whether or not there are waves available. the lack of formal service lowers the tipping anxiety during the stay and creates a more egalitarian mood. the newer cabins are top end with air conditioning, tv and wifi so not as rustic as a typical surf camp although its in a real country setting -- chickens scratching in the dirt road in front with rice out to be threshed further down the lane which is what sold me on the place. Nice change from overbuilt and flash tourist hotels and condos further south in the island.

Room Tip: If you're older and able to afford it, take a cabin for 2, the bunk rooms are for youngsters and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thanks David for your awesome review! Yeah, it's those little Balinese specialties like chicken and rice on the street that make you realize that you are , well, on Bali! See you again, ride on, Alex
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My son (10 years old) and I stay for 1 weeks surfing retreat. We had a fantastic time. The accommodation was really comfortable and clean. The food was excellent and very generous. The staff absolutely fantastic. The facilities were really good. Surfing was great - really good instructors. Overall I could not recommend it highly enough. We are going again next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Yew Michelle I am so happy that you had an incredible time with your son! See yous next year!
Greater London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Chillhouse was recommended to me by a friend who had an amazing experience there. I can't say how pleased I am to have followed her advice! I loved every minute of it. They were actually fully booked so I got to stay at the Residence just next door, which was really nice and no hassle whatsoever.

This place is full of energy and great people. Nunung for example, to only name him, rocks the place!

I's great, the food is excellent (fresh products, local and western food), the staff is super friendly, the massages are fab and so are the yoga classes...and for those who do take surf lessons...the guides are GREAT. I had my own guide and I'm still amazed at how quickly I got attached to Jon and how funny and professional he is. It was my first proper surf experience and all the guides join in and shout advices when you're trying to catch the wave. It makes you feel safe and makes it all good fun.

The Chillhouse also attracts a slightly "older" crowd (late 20s at the youngest), the focus is definitely on surfing and chilling - which was exactly what I was looking for. You can take a bike free of charge any time, and it's only 10/15 mins bike ride from Canggu or Echo beach.

I've only been back from Bali 4 days and I'm already thinking about my next stay at the Chillhouse!! It's not just a hotel or any surfcamp, it's more like a family, I met so many great people there. I could just go on and on about it, but in short - just go and experience it!

Room Tip: If they are full, ask them to find you an alternative accommodation with the inclusive package. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Yeww what a great review! only 4 days back and already thinking about coming back! so stoked! ride on, Alex
El Dorado Hills, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had an amazing time at The Chillhouse. I was coming to Bali for a week-long yoga retreat in Ubud (inland), and I wanted to tack on a few extra days near the ocean before heading home. The Chillhouse was the perfect choice. I met fantastic people and had a great time learning to surf. I had never surfed before (except for one group lesson years and years before in Hawaii) and I'd always wanted to learn. The Chillhouse surf guides planned morning surf lessons based on each guest's level of experience. Though there were never more than two guests for each surf guide, for most lessons, I had my own guide. As an absolute beginner, I felt completely comfortable in the water. In the afternoon, I could choose more surfing, sightseeing (either on a Chillhouse excursion or on my own), or just chilling with a massage, bike ride, yoga, or sunning by the pool. The Chillhouse staff is wonderful and does everything possible to help you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
I love The Chillhouse too!
Thanks for your great review, I am so happy that you had such a great time with us!!!