Jeevan Beach Resort
  • Breakfast included
$103
$82
Agoda.com
The Leela Kovalam Beach(Kovalam)
$829
$32
$29
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsde la merlighthouse beachsea viewnice roomlight housepleasant staypool sidecleanersdecmrdoctor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I came here with my husband to celebrate Christmas on my third visit to India in the last three years. I have had beautiful experiences in Kerala before, but unfortunately Kovalam beach was entirely overcrowded during the holidays. That said, the real problem was the hotel. Upon arrival, we did not get the room that I had specifically booked and paid extra for weeks prior to our arrival. I asked to change the room to get what I paid for, but the receptionist said he could do nothing without senior staff, who was not present. His incapability was less annoying than his attitude. We decided to stick with the room as we did not want a hassle around Christmas and wanted to relax. However, the pool was so dirty we could not swim in it, and nobody attended the "spa" section, which also looked dirty, so we had to go elsewhere for the massage. The restaurant staff was definitely friendlier than the obnoxious receptionist. After 2 1/2 days we asked politely for a change of towels and if someone could clean our room. He shrugged us off with a yes, but we asked for this three times in two days before anything happened, and nothing was cleaned when the towels were put in. The attitude got worse every time we asked, as if towels was too much to ask for in a "three star" hotel. After four nights of what was a huge disappointment in terms of our Christmas treat, we checked out, only to find that we were charged the extra price of the room we did not get, and the hotel did not accept credit card as opposed to what the website said. When we tried to reason with the same receptionist, he put on an attitude which would make anyone with an ounce of experience from the service sector cringe. We nearly had the full amount in cash, and suggested it would be a compensation leaving us with a better impression if they would accept this, but the staff started making noise and refused to meet our request. We explained that we had a train to catch, and the ATM next door was closed, but they ended up taking us three different places to withdraw money and threatening with the police when we said we wouldn't spend all day on this. We of course told them to please call, which they did not. Finally, we left in a rage, having paid for way more than we got, and on top of it lost our train and half a day of our vacation. I would not recommend Jeevan to my worst enemy until they clean up the place, starting with the staff. For the record, I have traveled both very low and higher budget in India and in general love the country, the people and the experience of traveling there. I have no problem with simple, worn down, low-end places, if that is what I pay for, and not the least, if the staff is friendly. There were many other hotels on Kovalam beach that looked great, and Christmas Eve was celebrated with a fantastic dinner at five star Leela hotel, worth every rupi. Go to Kovalam by all means, but steer clear of this hole - and don't mind telling them why. I hate the fact that even writing this makes me sound snotty and high maintenance, but I wouldn't want anyone else to ruin their holiday here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kaja A
jeevan_beach_resort, General Manager at Jeevan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Ma'am, Thank you for reviewing us! Your feedback is valuable to us. We strive to provide all our guests with the best of facilities and try and make sure that our guests are very comfortable. We have made a note of all the points mentioned by you and will definitely work on them. Our Deluxe Double Rooms are well air-conditioned and maintained with an en-suite bathroom, the room also has an LCD television and coffee table.

We would love to have you stay with us again so that we get another opportunity to demonstrate our strongest commitment to the highest standards of hospitality.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

A must for anyone who is ill and stressed or even depressed the Air Water and above all the people are great.

I would deffinately write more about the great experinces here esspecially the ayurvedic doctor here and massage therapist very inclined to the original tradition not money orientated at all. My father a native Indian therefore knows when he can see someone a mile away if trying to make money from a tourist and travelled much of the world leaving his country last said truly Kovalam has been beautiful. travelled to Barbados Dubai and much of the middle east where i lived but the beauty here is its not just the water, the people in the hotel have really helped give me help to reach optimum health and restore balance to someone who lost mobility and depressed.

Peace and blessings

God bless the staff of the Hotel and as they say in my tradition barakallah Hu F
eek

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have been to lots of beach resorts in India, JEEVAN BEACH RESORT had the best view of beach from the room, restaurant and pool. Friendly staff and the service standards can be improved. I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: If you want sea view you have pay good money, if you are looking for budget rooms you will have to sacrifice Seaview.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is my 7th stay in jeeven ayurvedic beach resort. family tour, or friends tour we decided kovalam then next Jeevan is our First thought next phone to the manager. we have seen 3 managers in the past Mr.babu,Mr.james, Now Mr.Abdul Nazar in the previous 7 years. ok lets come to the review.

Positives

Excellent Beach view from the swimming pool in the Hotel

Small area of swimming pool is for kids not enough but ok

Good Swimming pool with daily Maintenance

Polite and friendly Managers,Room Service persons and Super and simple person "the Proprietor' whenever i visit jeeven i can see the proprietor. even in non seasonal periods also. he is very aggressive in customer satisfaction.

in the past 7 years jeeven changed a lot in style, In colours,In service is the success behind the hotel is the proprietor slowly improving everything

Good Enough Beds , Sea Face rooms with small balcony are Rocking in the morning ,

Swimming along with sea view beautiful atmosphere you never get anywhere in kovlam light house , pappukutti resort also swimming pool but the view jeeven is good.

Good Ayurvedic massage also experienced person my family peoples take facial,head massages from him humble person.

Negatives

Old style rooms ( but now they are renovating)( They built new rooms in third floor i have not seen reception boy told it is super)

Room 213 iind floor bathroom are not in good condition. tiles looking very old.

room 313 it was good but Air condition not enough for the room. Refrigerator is there but Refrigerator socket not inserted in to plug because it was bigger than that. So we Cannot able to switch on the Refrigerator our beers Warmed. Maybe It was our mistake we have shifted the room in the midnight so good rooms already booked.

complimentary breakfast (3 slices of bread with butter and jam coffee and fruit juice) not enough for us(but fruit juice which is excellent in taste)

Good Beer Bar in top of the cafe de la mer. But please give a good supplier . there is only one man . the another man is not understand anything.

Yes Thats all Otherwise You put it in your head and celebrate this hotel its rocking.

We never forget this simple hotel in our memories always.

may be 2 or 3 years Jeeven will be No.1 in the Light house beach i wish jeeven to come with all our support.

Room Tip: Room 313,314,213,214, are Direct sea face rooms with small balcony
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Godsownson76
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Jeevan is located in the middle of Lighthouse Beach and can only be reached by walking the last 5-600 meters from the taxi stand by foot. Though is hotel is certainly not a luxury hotel it has this prime location and is a great place to rest after traveling around India. Swim in the ocean or in the pool, enjoy the comfort and well-being offered by the hotel's very qualified ayuervedic massage doctors, eat the fresh fruit salad on the promenade, enjoy the great and fresh seafood offered in the hotel's restaurant (we never ate elsewhere during our 5 day stay), watch the fishermen setting out and pulling in their nets, meet the joggers and meditating people on the beach at sunrise, surf the waves, visit the almost deserted neighboring beaches or simply just enjoy the laid-back hippie-like atmosphere of the place.

Room Tip: Important to get rooms facing the ocean to enjoy the lovely sound of the ocean at all time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family