We had booked the Presidential Suite, the best room at the hotel after reading nice reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor. The room was big with an adjoining balcony and a beautiful view of the Indian Ocean. However, the room also had hundreds of red ants crawling on the walls, the bed and the furniture. Tiny but fast-paced red ants are common in south India, but I expected a hotel like UDS to have taken care of that. We had to call the front desk and get the pest guy to clean our room while we stayed out on the beach for an hour. We got rid of most of the ants but not all. We had to check for ants every time we slept on the bed, or while using the towels or our clothes. The beautiful beach and the three swimming pools did take our mind off the ants, but not for long. The buffet dinner we had that night at one of their restaurants was horrible in taste and quality, and very expensive. The next day one of my friends had diarrhea and it is common practice for any hotel to keep such medicines handy. The front desk however told me they had no medication and that it was "against their rules" to keep any oral medication. There were no chemist shops nearby, and the staff made us wait for over an hour and a half to get the medicine from a chemist just a km away from the hotel. What is more they charged us for the same. It is not about money, but a hotel as reputed as UDS would be expected to provide this complimentary service to their guests. The house-keeping staff was another pain. In spite of keeping the DND sign hanging outside our door, we would invariably have the staff ringing the bell continuously in the morning. They would not even wait for a minute in spite of us asking them to wait while we got up, instead they would start opening the door with their key. It was shocking to see such behavior.
The hotel has a huge and beautiful property and I was really looking forward to having a good vacation at Kovalam. However, I am very disappointed with UDS, and would not recommend it to any of my friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UDS located at the famed beaches of Kovalam, just 15 meters from the sea, is an exclusive 4 Star leisure beach hotel& Spa - a destination by itself. The setting, facilities, people, spa, cuisine and its whole philosophy is dedicated to your personal wellness in a luxurious environment. Just by being at UDS-one of the finest hotels in kovalam, your stresses start to flutter away; the landscaping has its own serenity, a harmony of a defined architecture, spacious lawns, blue water pools and soaring coconut grooves all set in four tranquil acres by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Cancelon, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Uday Samudra Leisure Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Uday Samudra Beach
- Uday Samudra Beach Hotel
- Uday Samudra Beach Thiruvananthapuram Trivandrum
- Uday Samudra Leisure Beach Hotel & Spa Kovalam, Kerala