“great in service”

Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Kovalam
Delhi, Delhi, India
“great in service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Words are not enough to describe the service provided by taj people.The moment you enter the property you will see the warmth and kindness of the staff.Breakfast was dlightfull and variourty of choises.the pool near restaurant was ultimate,take a beer and relax as long as you can.Golf carts are avaible round the clock to feel the property even JIVA spa was great,they gave us brief explanation regaring different therapies.Above all a life time fun and must visit padmanabh swamy temple in trivandrum

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mathew T, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove, responded to this review, July 13, 2013

Thank you for your review about Vivanta by Taj- Kovalam.

We are most delighted to learn that you have had a wonderful experience in our Resort and found the staff and services outstanding. Your feedback will most certainly add impetus in our quest towards excellence.

We look forward to your continued patronage and assure you of the very best in services, facilities & hospitality in the true Taj tradition.

Mathew Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed in holiday resorts all over the world. Most have been pleasant experiences, but the experience I had in the Taj Kovalam, really takes the cake.
It is by no means a standard 5 star Hotel. The moment you get to the security gate at the foot of the hill and the guards check our bona fide, we are in pristine surroundings. Reminds one a bit of Bali, but it is authentic Kerala all right. The only irritant, if at all, is the wait at the reception filling up forms and providing ID checks. Once you have done that, your holiday begins. We are led to our room. If you are lucky enough to get a room at the top of the hill, not only will you get a great Sea view from your balcony, but if you choose not to summon the buggy, you might actually end up burning a lot of calories that you imbibe from the sumptuous spread at the break-fast buffet or the fresh Fish that you have for Dinner.
I suggest you take the buggy and go to the 'Bait' restaurant right at the Sea. While you wait for your order, if the Beer doesn't refresh you enough, the spray from the Sea will certainly do. Add to it, the sight of the angry frothy Sea rushing towards you its drama highlighted by the search lights, you are ready for the fresh grilled Fish, when it arrives.
Do not let the laziness let you miss the early morning when birds chirp from the Trees just nudging your balcony. Laze around for a while, but not long enough to miss the Yoga session with the charming instructor. As you sit facing the Instructor, you cannot help noticing the beauty of the water fall behind her- her charm not withstanding!

Room Tip: Ask for the upper room with a Sea view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 12kris

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Words are not enough to describe this property nestled in the lap of nature, near to the Arabian sea, surrounded by coconut trees and a lagoon. They have there private beach, a small lagoon for private boating and their famous "Buggies" - golf carts for ferrying you around. All this a phone call away. The room (cottage) was a delight with a private and separate opening facing the sea area. Regular fumigation and cleaning kept the mosquitoes at bay. You must opt for a sea view room for a great view of the sea and beach. The attention you get here from the hotel staff is impeccable. Its a home away from home. We visited around 10th of June and the weather was fantastic for nature lovers and droolers. The B'fast and the dinner spread which was included in our offer was sumptuous to say the least. The B'fast was clearly the winner as it included everything we could have thought on a b'fast table. To be honest more than what we had envisaged. The hotel staff including the chef's give personal attention to each and every guest at the hotel and try to fulfil all possible demands. Some names which stand out are Ms. Nisha & Kanchan at the front desk and Mr. Aurbindo Ghosh at the pool side restaurant. We left the place with a promise the return very soon!!

Room Tip: Go for a Sea View Room for a better view of the sea & beach area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ranjan_singh7

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel (seay view room) during my honeymoon in Sep'12 and it was an absolute delight to stay here!:)

this is one picturesque hotel!...totally recommended for a peaceful time away from hustle-bustle of the city.....other things viz. food and hospitality were great too: quality of food lives up to the Taj standards and the staff was cheerful, warm and welcoming!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were there from 3rd to 5th June right at the onset of monsoon in Kerala ,Vivanta is picturesquely placed . Right from the entrance lobby to the restaurant and the rooms (even though we were in the basic category garden facing rooms) everything is relaxing to the eyes. Definitely not the place for a hyperactive family with small kids. But highly recommended if you want to chill ,relax,catch a movie,read a book, have a cool swim,get a comfy spa then you would be heading in the right direction. Access to backwaters at Poovar and Kairali is within a hours drive. No need to go to Kumarokom or any other backwater destination.Kanya Kumari visit is absolutely a no no.It is one of the most badly maintained mythological and strategically important places I have been to.The Tamil Nadu govt/administrators are making very little effort to add value to the place. The Vivekanandji's monument is decent but loses its shine because of the horrible steamers with unhygienic life vests required for a 10 mts ride . The gap between Kerala and Tamil Nadu seems colossal whether in management,landscapes or roads.Makes one realise why Kerela is referred to as Gods own country.Back to Vivanta the staff is extremely courteous.Would like to mention a specific gentleman by the name of Aurobindho who looked after us during our meal times at Jasmine Bay their poolside restaurant. He made us feel really comfortable and at home. Thanks Aurobindho. Will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sunitamadan

hong kong
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Vivanta by Taj- Kovalam. The staff was incredibly warm, kind, and efficient. I was traveling alone, and they made me feel very welcomed and helped me with everything I needed. The staff in itself made the hotel superb. As for other things that I can say about the hotel, the breakfast buffet was excellent- one of the best I had on this trip in India. The view from the restaurant where beakkie is served was also extremely pretty. The room nice, but not quite as lush and comfortable as I expected from five stars. In saying that, I visited the Uday Samudra which is next door and Taj was much nicer. All in all, I was very happy with my stay. Excellent staff, excellent breakfast, and lobby and grounds of the hotel were beautiful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank marissaball

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 5, 2013

So, let me start with the day we arrived, we landed at the Trivandrum airport and took a local taxi just outside the airport, it was so much cheaper compared to the one the hotel was offering(the hotel charges you 1300rs for a 20 minute drive). When we got to the hotel we were welcomed by a staff member who later I realised was a trainee..... She did not speak well, did not offer us cold towels or a welcome drink( all other taj or other resorts have always offered these 5star or otherwise). The tour of the property was limited to the lobby area, she just pointed in the direction of where everything was, instead of taking us and showing us around. And she was irritatingly soft spoken.
Decided to ignore it, and we checked into our room. We booked our holiday very close to the travel dates, therefore only garden view rooms were available. It is too small, and there are lot of mosquitoes and bugs outside the door after sun down, so keep the door closed after dark . Every time room service guys came over and we opened the door at least a dozen mosquitoes entered the room, this is a bigger problem if you a child with you and we are travelling with our two year old son. We also saw a lizard and a moth inside the room. I asked for a room change but did not receive any call back. Well my husband asked me to calm down as they were fully booked. We are paying a lot of money even for a basic room, which was not my first choice, therefore I expect first class service. I loved their property at goa, both village and aguada. I am very disses appointed with kovalam.
They have not given me any reason to return.oh and I forgot to mention my experience at the restaurant on the our day, first lunch. We decided to eat at their all day dining restaurant 'jasmine bay' . The place is small, but its pleasant, I asked the lady who showed us to our table, what they meant by set menu, as we were on the family getaway plan, she handed us the main menu and said anything from this. My husband decided to have prawns, the guy who was taking our order told us they would charge us for it, I told him we we told otherwise, he told us, then, thatwecpuld order anything on the menu except sea food, and we could also order fish, I told hi fish was seafood, he said that is fine as they buy it for 'cheap'. So there it was, if its set menu plan then you will be given food that is available for cheap in the market. We were very embarrassed and felt a little humiliated.

I read both good and bad reviews of this hotel on this forum, but I have been to other taj properties, so I never thought I would list my experience in the average list.
Average because, the food here is great, I must give it to them, curries restaurant just stole my heart last afternoon.

I have another two days here . I am not sure i want to be here or ever come back here. I tried the spa it's overpriced. But it's the service that disappointed me. Every reviewer was raving about the service quality here, why did they have to disappoint me.

P.s.... There is nothing here for the kids, the activity room is too tiny and crappy. The boat ride has too many Mosquitos, not recommended for small kids.

I have no reason to come back here yet.....Lets see how my second half of the stay goes.

Room Tip: Book early, get a deluxe room. They are bigger. Or just go to leela,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Ashu1983

Thank you for your review about Vivanta by Taj- Kovalam.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. The issues have been taken up with the concerned managers who have taken corrective steps to enhance the quality of service at the resepctive areas.

We value your comments and it is only through such constructive feedback that we are able to improve ourselves and ensure they do not recur.

Mathew Thomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kovalam
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Hotel Samudra KTDC
#5 of 50 in Kovalam
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
#3 of 90 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Soma Palmshore Beach Resort

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove? Share your experiences!