“Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Had ten days at this hotel.
We chose the airport pickup, Veronica was waiting for us with a smile. the check in was quick and easy, Veronica took us to our room, showing us where everything was along the way, what a lovely pleasant girl, every time we saw her she remembered our names and always has a smile.We chose a sea view room, glad we did. The rooms are a little dark but that is a minor thing. I would say though that the decor is a little dated but the housekeeping staff keep the room lovely and clean. Love the fact that there is a separate shower and bath.
The Jasmine restaurant is very nice, I do think that the buffet could be a little more international, however the A La Carte menu is very good. Again the staff are so friendly, and helpful. The executive chef walks around to make sure guests are happy, and will cook things off menu if you ask, not many places will do that.
The Neera Bay bar is lovely and yet again the staff are friendly, and remember what you like to drink very quickly.
The hotel is a little isolated but venture out to Lighthouse Beach to eat, take a tuk tuk, they will wait for you.
All in all this hotel is lovely, the staff are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
delhi
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Tucked away from main beaches of Kovalam, Vivanta by Taj is a little paradise of peace. Before you venture to stay here, you have to answer this question: why am I here? Leisure, vacation, unwinding, wellness or cuisine? If the answer is yes, then by all means, this is a perfect place to stay. If you are a business traveller, this verdant nook is not for you because other places are not easily accessible able.
I was on vacation, so Taj suited my needs to a tee. Reception was great - sandalwood paste mark on your forehead, watermelon juice, and a sea shell garland of welcome.
The room was palm-fond roofed with granite and mortar exterior. It had a little verandah where you can sit when the sun is down and ruminate over matters. It was sunny and well-lit, so the hours you spent in there during the day, you can enjoy natural night. Come night, a troop of room service boys march in and draw curtains. I liked that! Eyes for detail are what set apart from a great 5 star property from a run-of-the-mill stuff.
Famed sea-front of Kovalam is far away. do not worry. Friendly security people will summon a buggy for the 2 km ride through their walkies-talkie just for you. There is sea and there is backwater. Sight of water refreshes your tired eyes.
Food at the sea food restaurant - Bait - justifies all the hype.On the terrace they serve breakfast. Go for the South Indian corner - dosa station - where you can enjoy good masala dosas. Iddlies with gunpowder and chilly-onion chutney is another option. They also serve world class salami and sausages. Lunch buffet at the Curry restaurant was middling - an assortment of Kerala, pan-Indian dishes. the wine cellar out there is interesting.
Jiva Spa is a good way to relax, though you will be subjected to little homilies on ayurveda, spirituality and wellness by the therapist. Wthout mumbo-jumbo it would have been a great place to revisit.
I was suffering from a hurt on my knees following a fall, and in the main building I could only see stairs to climb; if there were elevators they were well conceived. Trek to the room also involved more steps. Not a place for people who are seriously challenged orthopedically.
I loved this hotel most on the day I had to leave. My morning train schedule did not allow me to eat breakfast. Considerate stewards in the buffet place packed a nice breakfast with disposable plates and all.
The place leaves nice memories. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Don't miss the main beaches. take a buggy to the gate and catch an autorishaw from there - Rs. 7...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank vasnag
Bangalore, India
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at the Vivanta by Taj, Kovalam - it was a good experience. The place is very neatly kept and the service is just awesome at this place.

Cons - There were no restaurants closer by to eat, we had to eat at the Taj - not complaining about the food quality - it was the best but it would have been a nice thing to have other options too. Also since it was raining most of the time we were even forced to eat at the Taj only.

Room service was great too, staff were also good.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at the Vivanta with my wife and we had a great time. Food is of good standard but sometimes too spicy. Obviously, this is the south of India and one needs to expect spicy food but if even the beans in the full English are spicy, that's a bit much for my flavour. However, staff is nice and helpful and the rooms are really beautiful.

The village next to the hotel is rather boring and there is really not much to see. However, if you hire a car or driver, there are plenty of places around the area. We took a backwater tour and went to the Golden Beach- this was great fun!

All in all, a place I'd like to visit again.

Room Tip: Avoid the festival season, you may end up having load music next to your room from 6am to 11pm.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've been wanting to write this review for quite a while. Somehow been missing it. We spent the 4 nights during the Independence day week. All the way from the pick up at the airport to room service to food to facilities, everything was perfect.
Quick summary of the the trip
1: The check in process was smooth and quick no hiccups whatsoever.
2. The level of personal attention given to my 1.5 yr old son is worth mentioning. The room service folks used to call check and provied meals specific to his liking. The pool side and sea side restaurant went out of way to get liitle straw hat glasses for my sun to drink juice from.
3. Folks in the lobby, security and even spa went all out of the way to keep my son engaged.
4. We used the gym, spa and pool and all the support and services around those facilities were superb.
5. The location of the resort itself was expansive, large, green and laid wait.

Overall, excellent bang for th buck. Without doubt the best Taj property I've ever stayed in. Eagerly awaiting my next vacation there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Epicurious263
Mathew T, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove, responded to this review, October 17, 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are most delighted to learn that you have had a wonderful experience in our Resort and found the staff and services outstanding. Your feedback will most certainly add impetus in our quest towards excellence.

We look forward to your continued patronage and assure you of the very best in services, facilities & hospitality in the true Taj tradition, which the Vivanta by Taj-Kovalam is committed to delivering to all our guests.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was my second visit in a span of three months, and I can say that the property only grows on you! The staff was very welcoming and warm, and most of them recognized me from the last visit. The only dampener was that I did not get an upgrade to a sea facing room this time as there were none available. One major improvement over my last visit was that they have changed the main room key to an electronic system (you just touch it to receptor on the door), so there's no chance that they key will not work and you would have to trudge back to the reception, which was a big problem on my last visit.
This was my first visit to Bait, the award-winning seafood restaurant, and its easy to see why its rated as one of Asia's best. The view and scenery is simply amazing and makes you feel like you are in a different world. The food is very good too, though I tried the vegetarian option. The rotis were the softest I have ever had. The only thing is that you must make a reservation in advance, because there is no point in sitting inside where the table is quite wide and not amenable to socialization, besides being definitely inferior to the tables outside in terms of the view! We did not get a table outside at first, but the staff (very warm again) quickly arranged a table for us outside when we said that we were not happy to sit inside. Pizzas which I was looking forward to trying, are only available till 7 pm.
One more thing I wanted to mention was that I left the hotel at 4:30 am on my return, because I had an early morning flight. Perhaps the best test of a hotel's service is how the staff treats you at an unearthly hour like that. I must mention that the porter came to my room within minutes of my calling the reception, along with my invoice. The car was ready, and so was packed breakfast with thoughtfully packed cookies, fruits and cakes. Not to mention a beautiful parting gift, a traditional Kerala wall hanging, and smiling staff to wish me a safe journey and promise me an upgrade next time (!) even at that hour. What makes it a lovely stay here is not only the views but the warmth and hospitality of the staff, who are always going out of their way to make your visit pleasant.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to a sea facing room, the ones at the higher levels have better views. But during...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice location, tastefully done rooms, splendid bath, balcony overlooking sea..and lush green surroundings make it a beautiful property to unwind. Sea food lovers can njoy food in an exclusive restaurant by the private shore. But Jasmine Bay is a bit let down. The waiters get lost during buffet hours.they take orders and then they start catering other tables and forget. Kerela speciality Appams were big let down. It's better one goes for ala carte.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReetikaT

Thank you for your review.

We have noted your comments and corrective action has been taken in the respective area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kovalam
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Hotel Samudra KTDC
#4 of 52 in Kovalam
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
#4 of 94 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Soma Palmshore Beach Resort

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove? Share your experiences!