“A well hidden treasure.”
Review of Niraamaya Retreats

Niraamaya Retreats
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
Hvidovre, Denmark
“A well hidden treasure.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have bee traveling around India for 8 days. And after that, booked 7days in Samudra Niamaaya spa resort.
It was like comming to another World. Build on a cliff top overlooking to clean and nearly privat beaches.
Bungalows build in terrasses with seewiev and privacy. The area is clean and the staff is wery helpeful and service minded. The bungalows are wery differend. The one we stayed in called " Beach cottage north" had a great wiev to the South Beach. Nearly eventyr morning we could sitt and watch the fishermen trowing there fishingnets up at the Beach. Wery intertaining to see. The infinitypool was great and so was the restaurants. Althoug a little expensive compared With Indian standard restaurent prises. We have hed 7 fabules days in this hidden place. Only out of the resort one time to go to Kovalam. We went back after one hour. Couldent stand the crowdness and the dirt and rubish in the streets. Back to the resort With the clean beaches and quietness.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Steenfischer
Niraamaya R, General Manager at Niraamaya Retreats, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Mr.Fischer,

Thank you for your encouraging comments about our property and our services. This will definitely stimulate our efforts to ensure a memorable service to our guests.

We appreciate your liking of our rooms, facilities and services.

The entire team of Niraamaya look forward to welcoming back you in future and hopeful of exceeding all your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This resort, 6km or so south of busy Kovalam, occupies a stunning setting perched high above two pristine and empty white sand beaches.
The rooms (we stayed in Polygon) are beautifully decorated with huge four-poster beds, outdoor tub and shower, massive flat screen tbs, outdoor seating etc. A large amount of effort has gone in to designing this resort, trying to make the rooms as integrated into the high side as they can be. Wonderful sculptures a dotted throughout the resort, which really comes into its own at night as the lights come on.
The pool area is stunning, with a lovely infinity pool, relaxed deck area, overlooked by the main restaurant area with outside seating - all this overlooking the (rough) sea, palm trees and white sand.
Breakfast is a highlight, with extensive a la carte menu from Indian to european dishes. Coffee is freshly brewed, the fruit mainly fresh, the spicy omelettes are fantastic.
So, why not five stars?
Service can be inconsistent, with staff at breakfast having to constantly come back as they get the order wrong - all done with a smile, but not great when this hotel constantly charges the highest prices i've ever seen in India. As an example, two single gin and tonics were about 1000R, (£10), more than i pay here in London (maybe fortunately the entire resort hadn't got its booze licence sorted for our stay, except the last night - saved us a lot of money, but very poor organisation from a high end resort that caters mainly for foreigners - apology provided but no compensation, e.g. a free massage or even airport drop off). Cars to the airport (25 mins) are 1500R, or 700R if you walk 2 minutes outside the resort and pick up a local taxi - why the constant rip off?
We had no hotel tour when we arrived, so worked everything out for ourselves, but no welcome drink or warm welcome to the hotel - considering we were paying around 17000R a night, this is poor.
Recommended, but has potential to become a great hotel if they were less greedy, less focussed on charging top end for everything and step on their customer service, especially at the front desk which is inefficient and lacks charm

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rich_and_Sarah7
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your appreciation of room and facilities we provide in our resort. We are grateful to you for ratifying the quality of food we provide. Your appreciation will motive our team to excel more on quality.

We regret the inconveniences caused to you on account of incorrect taking of order. We did speak to our Restaurant Manager and has taken all steps to ensure that these sort of mistakes are not repeated.

We observed dry days during your stay with us to comply with Government regulations.

We value your constructive feedback and will take every possible step to ensure an experiential service in Niraamaya Retreats.

The entire team of Niraamaya look forward to welcoming back you in future.
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I have seen many hundred hotels. But I discovered one that you can't describe with words. It's a paradise. Wonderful gardens. Nice rooms although I had a room aside. Not seaview. Wonderful quiet room. And sooo clean. With safe. Best internet. Ventilator. AC. Two showers. Open air and indoor.
A good pool. A great beach. A fascinating panorama. Delicious foods and a staff that makes you feel really welcome. Sure it sounds like a fairytale but you should let this dream come true. Even if I search for a reason to complain....nothing. All is like it should be. I talked to guests from Europe. They all agree with me.
It's hard to find a better. Sure there will be more hotel with great 5 stars. But this hotel has the typical touch of something that you must experience by being here. 4 days I was here. I will be back. I felt safe here. Welcome. I felt like at home.
A great hotel but never forget. The soul of a hotel is the staff. From the garden boys to the room girls, from the waiters to the reception, from the security to the pool boy, from the workers to the forgotten important persons in the background.... The management can be proud about this staff. They make you feel comfortable. 5 star staff!!
Come. Stay. Go....but you will be back for sure.
Just an information....The hotel still applies for alcoholic drinks to serve. The license is under process. But government decisions and licenses in India are a long process. But everybody will help you to find a beer or wine. ;-)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Niraamaya R, General Manager at Niraamaya Retreats, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted by the feedback you shared about your stay with us. We are glad that we could provide you an experiential holiday. We feel honoured to know that you felt safe with us and felt like your home.

We consider our staff as our soul and encouraged by your praises. These positive statements will further fuel up our quest to provide exemplary services to our guests.

We have applied for change of name in our beer and wine licence and expect to receive the same soon.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This resort has an awful lot going for it. I think one of the marks of a great hotel or resort is how comfortable and carefree they make you feel without appearing doing so. As I reflect on my experience at this resort it is easy to identify what qualities really stand out for me: the service, the people, the accommodations and the grounds.

My 6-night sojourn here began under difficult circumstances. My luggage was lost somewhere along the way to India from New York. Several members of the staff made it their personal responsibility to help me recover my luggage, including Athulya at the front desk, John Maliakal, the general manager, and others from the restaurant, all working their connections. Their many, many hours of help over the 3 days that it took went well beyond what one would expect from any hotel or resort staff.

They were just as attentive to other needs that I informed them about. When I had a problem with the A/C in my cottage two people were at my doorstep within minutes to get it sorted. When I was needing water or mosquito repellent they where there in jiffy.

The heritage cottages there have the distinction of possessing wonderful character alongside very comfortable accommodations. While each seems to have their own front patio and outdoor bathroom no two appear to be the same in all the other ways. The layout, the design and the materials used for each cottage and the way they are situated differs in such a way that the you don't feel any part of the typical cookie-cutter resort. I stayed in the Papaya cottage which is back away from the ocean. While it would have been nice to have had an ocean view at times, I can honestly say that I didn't feel like I was missing out in any way. I had both the sounds of being in among the trees as well as hearing the ocean waves crash against the surf in the background. Coming from New York City, where sounds and noises come at you from nearly all turns, it was nice to have this tranquil balance of sounds from ocean and land. So if you have concerns about not sleeping well due to crashing waves I suggest something a little further back from the ocean front cottages.

Inside the cottages the rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The bed and linens are soft and high quality. The cottage could have had a sofa so that more than one person could sit together. The open air bathroom was particularly special, in that it was well laid out, spacious, allowed plenty of outside light in, and still maintained full privacy if one choose, even from a traveling companion. (It seems like the trend now in top hotels is to have see-through or translucent shower and bathroom walls. It's a nice idea of sorts, but is almost always poorly executed from my experience. When traveling as a couple who really wants to have full and constant view of bathroom and shower from all the other parts of your room? Hopefully this trend will subside real soon, and just leave it to the Niraamaya's of the world to have them tastefully done.)

The food here is generally great. I did eat my first night at the seafood restaurant. It was tasty but didn't rock me. Most of the other days were following an Ayurveda cleanse diet. So I had my own menu prescribed by the spa for that. There was variety on my special menu and many tasty dishes among the choices, though sometimes what I had was bland due to my prescribed diet. But after hearing other guests rave about things they had ordered from the regular menu I broke the diet and joined in my last night. That last meal was quite fantastic. And now I wish I had only broken my diet a few days earlier since I am a serious foodie and feel like I missed out.

I participated in daily ayurvedic spa treatments and yoga. Beforehand I had only had a couple of ayurvedic massages in my entire life and so knew very little of the practice. While I felt enhanced by and benefited from the ayurvedic treatments I feel in the end that I went a little overboard with it. They take their practice there very seriously and have beautiful and good facilities to perform the treatments. Don't hesitate ever to let them know if something is too much for you. They will adjust according to your preference. As far as the yoga goes this was really my original reason for choosing this place. The yoga platform is insane. Bordered by the ocean practically on 3 sides the beautiful platform sports classic columns at each corner. I had my own personal instructor every day at sunset. She really helped me to understand what I was doing with yoga instead just trying to follow strict form as is generally the norm in the West. I am basically at intermediate level, so I came away from this experience with a much richer understanding and respect for yoga. In the end I only wish I had done yoga twice a day.

All in all this was a big highlight of my adventures and experiences in India. The resort does a great job of offering luxury and refinement within heritage accommodations. I have visited a couple of other 5-star Heritage palace hotels in Rajasthan and this easily exceeded those. While I cannot compare it with the numerous resorts that seem to dot the coast in Kovalam I do think this is an exceptional choice that most people will come away from as having had a wonderful and memorable experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert M
Reviewed November 14, 2013

A secluded piece of heaven. Private villas with stunning views. Friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful authentic food. Fantastic spa treatments available. I would go back in a heartbeat. This holiday will always hold very special memories.

• Stayed November 2013
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel provides a very good service, excellent and clean rooms. The service is great and the friendly staff is always ready to help you out. The resort is perfect for couples who want to escape from the busy everyday life. The ocean/beach is unfortunately very rough and could be a little dangerous for not professional swimmers. So if you are looking for a perfect beach you would find better places in India. However, all in all really recommendable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dhahran
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel could be Kerala's best kept secret. It is situated in a secluded and private area of Kovalam, the sea view is little piece of paradise. If you want to get away from it all, relax, enjoy the beautiful and serene nature of Kerala, try ayruvedic massages, enjoy the gastronomic tastes of southern india, this place is for you.

My wonderful family of 19 wanted to spend a holiday together, and this was a great choice for us, we had a wonderful and memorable holiday at this hotel.

What made our stay more pleasureable was the friendly staff, especially the restaurant manager Sarath and the executive chef Prakash. They were very accomodating and agreed to especially cater our meals for us with a menu of our choice and a private service and dining table. Ofcourse we wanted to try the cuisine of southern india, and chef Prakash did not dissappoint, he delivered the goods with a wonderful variety of dishes that pleased our eyes and palates. We also did a cooking lesson with the chef to try and learn some of his best recipes and cooking tips, and it was verybnice of him to provide the written recipes.

The downside of this hotel is some of the services in the front desk which is understaffed and under tooled. Checkout time was a mess. We had switched rooms while we were there and the accounting of individual room bills all needed to be reviewed. We were doing that for at least 2 hours. Their billing software definitly needs to be changed to something more flexible. We also charged more than we should have for the extra beds.

Overall it was a wonderful and memorable holiday experirence, I strongly recommend it for others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family