The hotel is a little out of Kovalam (probably 15-20 mins in a cab, 700/800 rs) but it is lovely and tranquil, with a stunning infinity pool over looking the bay. The rooms are old Keralan cottages and whilst they are a little dark we loved them and the open air bath room, they also had free wifi in the rooms, something which none of the 5* properties we stayed in when touring northern India did. The service on the whole is good (there were moments that suprised and others that disappointed).
We had booked an airport transfer direct with the hotel, but the hotel lost the reservation and we ended up getting a pre-paid taxi, which was fine and about half the price the hotel would have charged us. We arrived late at night and the hotel had put sandwiches in our room (free of charge) as well as keeping the chefs behind in case we wanted to order any room service which was lovely. The turndown service was great and they actually came into your room to fog it and deter any Mosquitos as well as giving you lovely home made chocolates. Breakfast was all al a carte and made to order, with lovely home made jams, this was great on one hand but did take quite a while and at times there seemed to be lots of staff but no one in control so it was a little challenging to get a second cup of coffee!
The food however was lovely both at breakfast and dinner, although we would have liked to be able to get some 'hard liquor' (a gin and tonic before dinner is always nice) as they only served beer and wine, but not a deal breaker. I also used the spa, where the service was great.
Overall we would happily recommend for a relaxing and enjoyable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now re-opened under a new management as Surya Samudra Private Retreats. Relais & Chateaux Luxury heritage beach resort. Adjoining two pristine, unspoilt beaches and completely secluded from the busy tourist areas of Kovalam. Enjoy complete privacy and serenity. Stay in a carefully restored traditional Kerala tharavadu dwelling. At our Spa Niraamaya, highly trained therapists pamper you with herbs, oils, and concoctions that relax your body, revitalise your mind, and renew your spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Niraamaya Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surya Samudra Private Retreats Hotel Kovalam
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Hotel
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Spa
- Niraamaya Retreats Kovalam, Kerala