I just spent this Christmas week in this Niraamaya resort together with my wife and two young children. I believe this quiet Hotel was fully booked (Families with very young children, and couples, most I would say western/northern Europeans) but it never felt crowded at all.
The resort is very beautiful in a secluded location on a cliff with direct access to two almost private beaches. We stayed in a garden view bungalow (The Palm) near the Spa and really enjoyed watching our kids feed the birds in our terrace. The semi-open Bathroom layout is unique and fantastic.
The Restaurant: Loved the food. As it was our first time in India and we were only staying one week we did not want to take any chances of getting sick, so we decided to play safe and have all our meals in the two restaurants. My only regret today was not to have tried all the dishes. Besides the great Indian food in the main restaurant, really enjoyed the Kerala buffet and the Thai specialties at the Essence restaurant. Compliments to the Chef and all his team for the excellent job. It was a real pleasure. Some guests might feel that to wait half an hour + for a meal is too long, I say if that is the time it takes to cook a perfect meal, so be it… In the meanwhile you can watch the eagles fly above the swimming pool, watch the waves at the ocean, enjoy the live music or the martial arts show, or just have a chat with the waiters who are all very friendly and go the extra mile to make your meal a success.
The SPA: All our requests were accommodated in a very professional and friendly manner, and both my wife and kids took yoga lessons from Sudeven. If you are looking for that mystical yoga experience in India, do not miss a lesson with this charming gentleman
The free and fast speed WIFI available probably everywhere in the resort is a great PLUS
Some minor issues I would improve:
1) The Mosquito net in our room covered 3/4 th of the bed. Maybe add the missing bit for total protection
2) Create a nice excursion brochure with photos with the standard half day trips to Trivadrum, backwaters, tea plantations, elephant + Lion Park and even Kovallam + fishing village and propose them at a reasonable price, while using only good and safe vehicles/ Drivers who are knowledgeable of the region.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now re-opened under a new management as Surya Samudra Private Retreats. Relais & Chateaux Luxury heritage beach resort. Adjoining two pristine, unspoilt beaches and completely secluded from the busy tourist areas of Kovalam. Enjoy complete privacy and serenity. Stay in a carefully restored traditional Kerala tharavadu dwelling. At our Spa Niraamaya, highly trained therapists pamper you with herbs, oils, and concoctions that relax your body, revitalise your mind, and renew your spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Niraamaya Retreats Surya Samudra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surya Samudra Private Retreats Hotel Kovalam
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Hotel
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Spa
- Niraamaya Retreats Surya Samudra Kovalam, Kerala