“Perfect Beachside Holiday”

Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
Knysna
“Perfect Beachside Holiday”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Bethsaida Hermitage. The staff were very attentive and our well appointed room overlooked the small beach which was a hive of local fishing activity. It was fascinating to watch the local fishermen pulling in their nets in the same way that their ancestors must have done centuries ago. The grounds of Bethsaida are beautifully kept with two lovely swimming pools. You get used to people wandering around having "treatments". Even the non Ayurveda guests can enjoy a foot spa and pedicure or massage. Only small gripe was the food. There was a wide choice of some strange looking mainly vegetarian dishes and drinks. Breakfast was fine with an egg chef but we struggled with lunches and evening meals. However much can be forgiven when eating sitting outside looking at some fantastic
views of the breakers on the clean white sand with minarets of Kovalam in the distance

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New Delhi
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Bethsdaida Hermitage recently. My husband needed some peace and quiet and the resort filled the bill. Just about 40 minutes drive from Trivandrum airport, BH has a lovely site on a small cove and the rooms are staggered up and down the hillside. I believe it is primarily marketed to foreign visitors, as we saw no other Indian guests and billing for some services was quoted in Euros. The buffet meals are marked out to show what is appropriate for various ayurvedic doshas, and quite delicious. Although we did not come specifically for ayurvedic treatments, as many of the guests did, my husband took advantage of the massage services and my daughter and I enjoyed the small library and shopping arcade on site. The rooms and the resort in general are very clean and well kept. My favorite part was the trail along the shore that led past beautiful rocky outcrops and revealed hidden beaches. The surf was pretty rough for swimming, but the sea and beaches are very clean.

Room Tip: We had a nonAC seaview room, which was well located and quite comfortable at the beginning of Decemb...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DelhiLaura
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My family and I are foreigners living short term in Delhi and were looking for a clean quiet resort on a beach in Kerala where could relax. We found exactly what we were looking for at Bethsaida. Most people who come here are foreigners getting Ayurveda treatments and they stay for weeks. We came for 5 days and no treatments. The beach is private, clean and very pretty. The resort is beautiful with coconut trees, lush green lawns, nice buildings and rooms, 2 pools and the beach. The staff was fantastic. We always ate the buffet which was good. They have a menu which we ordered from twice. After we visited the Kovalam beach which was unappealing we were so glad we stayed at this resort which is a 15 minute autorickshaw ride from town.

Room Tip: We got a seaview room with AC and were very happy with it. Most all the rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. This resort is quite big, very nice setting. We stayed in a non-AC sea view room. I have to say it is not that good because it is quite hot if you don't open the windows and if you open the windows, there are loads of mosquitos. We got bitten a lot even with the mosquitos net, but the mosquitos seem to find a way to get it. I would recommend a AC room, and just keep the door closed. Other than the mosquitos, the down side. The food here is very good. Since this hotel is quite far from anywhere. We just had breakfast, lunch and dinner there. It is all vegetarian food, and it is buffet style. If you only like meat, might need to go to town centre and eat there. It takes about 20-25mins from Kovalam to this place, 200 Rs. It is quite costly to take a taxi from this hotel to any other places. I would recommend you take a rickshaw to Kovalam and get a taxi from there to where-ever you like to go. Since you have more choice there in town centre.
The pool here is lovely, nice view of sunset over the water. The sea is a bit rough to swim in, but it is still nice to walk on the beach during sun set.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Suli_Sydney
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I´ve been at Bethsaida in september and enjoyed my two weeks stay at the hotel very much. It had all I needed: a green garden with beautiful flowers, a marvellous view at the ocean from my spacy terrass, ayurvedic treatments, yoga classes, vegetarian food at its best and nice and helpful people in the restaurant, at the reception desc, housekeeping and pool. I look forward to stay at Bethsaida next year again. They say "it feels like coming home" and that´s true.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had the most wonderful stay at Bethsaida. Travelling by myself I was concerned of being lonely, but the staff were incredibly friendly and made me feel like family, the Ayurvedic staff were charming and I looked forward to seeing them each day, and the restaurant staff couldn't have been kinder and more welcoming to me, and accommodated my every need. The reception staff were fantastic in advising me what to do and see and when, I was lucky to be there for the Onam festival flower displays, which were just breathtaking.

The treatments were very relaxing, I just loved the yoga classes and the fantastic teacher, yoga listening to the waves crashing and the staff sweeping leaves in the early morning was very atmospheric.

Not a bad word to say about my stay, it was just what I needed. And for me September was a perfect time to visit, very quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Am so impressed by Bethsaida that I have now added it to my list of places where I arranged for personalised Ayurveda healing holidays for you, or come with me on a Group Holiday this coming January/February at Prana Healing Holidays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends