“Great place!!”

Vedanta Wake Up! Kovalam
Ranked #21 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Kovalam
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed in Kovalam Beach last weekend in this lovely hostel and I would definately recommend it. It is spotless clean, the prices are good and the staff is very very friendly! It is more like a hotel than a hostel, very close to the beach. I had a great time and would always come back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Vedanta Wake Up! Kovalam

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Their properties are nice but enough, but for half the price of their hostel beds, you can get private rooms with basically the same amenities in far better and more central locations in each town/city they operate in. Instead, their properties are in some weird corner or backwater of the town/city they are in. And not in some "quiet and peaceful" kind of way. More like in a "It always takes me 10 minutes to walk to the center of the action even if I am practically a village" kind of way

My main problem with them, however, isn't "value for money." It is that they are thieves.

No, the maid didn't steal my iPod.

Worse. I am an expert in ocean recreation for the hospitality industry. I had a meeting with some of their top brass. I pitched several ideas in this field which could work right away at many of their properties and proposed properties. They essentially said "We like them all. But let us start with a pilot project on surfing at our new property in Kovalam. Draw up some plans and give us a budget and we will do it."

I did. One request for a response a few days later ignored. Second response for a response a week later ignored. Telling them I would participate in the Kovalam Spice Coast Open Surf Meet two weeks later, so they could see me in action in the water and we could look at their proposed property and refine our plans ignore.

They stole my proprietary intellectual property in what was espionage masked as a request for a business proposal.

By the way, their Kovalam site is so far off the main drag, I have to assume that every positive review here is self promotion.

Cavaet emptor: "Buyer beware"

"The wheels of justice grind slow, but they grind exceedingly fine."

It is no wonder the prestigious Economist magazine (UK) ranked India about 170 out of around 200 countries in terms of "ease of doing business." Vendanta Wake up! is just another example of this.

That kind of karma will catch up with you in the end. Vedanta Wake up!: you had better wake up!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mahastonefruit
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good hotel to stay. Rather one of the best hotel where I have been too during my visit to Kerala. The ambiance is good and cleanliness is also well maintained. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. Good connectivity to the beach and market is just few steps...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Fantastic hostel that was a pleasure to stay at. I am usually a bit hesitant about hostels, but would recommend this place to everyone! It was clean, comfy and the staff was fantastic. I especially enjoyed the south Indian breakfast. Nice touch!

Room Tip: try the dorm rooms if looking for budget options.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at Vedanta for 2 nights with my family and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff was freindly and always willing to help. The hotel is walking distance to Kovalam Lighthouse Beach. My only suggestion would be to provide lunch and dinner facilities as well...as they only seem to serve breakfast

Room Tip: Excellent wifi facilities
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I really felt welcome there from heart. The staff is just great - they make you feel like home and really care for you. I was there on a public holiday and they celebrated this day in a very authentic way with guests and friends - that was amazing! In the room it was quiet so I slept well. You can have there both - party and relaxing and that I really appreciate. Very short walk from the beach, good location. The best hostel I've ever stayed in India!

Sandra.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Vedanta Wake up! The room was an excellent size for the price and the bed was comfortable. The staff running the hotel was very helpful and answered all of our questions about the place. Whilst here we met with other travellers we previously had met in other parts of Kerala as well as new people. The hotel is the perfect distance from the bus station meaning you are able to walk there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends