“Leela Kovalam - love it but standards are slipping”

The Leela Kovalam Beach
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
UK
“Leela Kovalam - love it but standards are slipping”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was my family's third visit in 3 years to the Leela Kovalam.

I love this hotel. It is situated high on the cliff edge and the rooms are all located below the main lobby floor with the exception of the club and the garden pavillion rooms (beach).
We always go for the deluxe superior beach view rooms as these can accommodate my family of 2 adults and 2 children adequately.

On this occasion we were travelling with extended family and I had made bookings for 4 rooms in total, all with their own requirements. I emailed the hotel with clear details and each time I received the confirmation back, there were errors. After emailing back and forth a few times, I gave up of receiving correctly filled in booking forms.

On arrival at the Leela the check in process took over 45 mins as they had messed up the rooms and the names they were booked under (surprise surprise). The reservations team have a lot to answer for!! This was sorted out eventually but I had asked for two rooms to be next to each other and this request was not met even though I had emailed all requests over 6 weeks earlier. This was a disappointing start to a stay I had really looked forward to.

For the first time we were booked on a full board package and this did work out well on the whole, although the buffet for both lunch and dinner did get tedious as sometimes we felt like a pizza for lunch (and not curry and rice) and this is not part of the package. On one occasion we tried the Tides restaurant for lunch and can only say if you are happy to spend 3 hours over lunch then this is perfect. We however did not and to wait an hour between courses was unacceptable especially as the restaurant was not even a third full. Although the food was delicious.

We ventured over to the Lighthouse Beach (10 min stroll) which is where all the restaurants are located and I was surprised to see some restaurants no longer there and some new ones popping up from last October, when I last visited.

We stayed 3 nights in total on this occasion and the staff are amazing. They cannot do enough for you, especially in the restaurants.

The concierge weren't particularly helpful when I enquired what events were happening at the hotel and the area to celebrate Diwali (as we were there on this day). He told me nothing was happening and then I found out that the hotel had a small event for the kids on the beach (with sparklers and fireworks).

Check out was another mess up which is infuriating. I had to leave the hotel at 5pm and I asked if I could keep the room until then. This was refused as I was informed the hotel was fully booked. They allowed me to keep the room until 2pm. I packed up our belongings and handed the keys back to reception informing them that we had vacated the room and could they collect and store the luggage. We then continued to use the pool and later used my sister in laws room to shower (as they were staying an extra two days). After getting ready we made our way up to the lobby to check out. On the way up, we passed our old room and the bell boy was there removing our luggage.

At check out I asked them what was happening and why my luggage was only now being removed. They could not give me an answer. I went to the trouble of packing up our belongings quickly so I could vacate the room on time and arranging to get changed in another room when I could have used my room all along. These mistakes are not good enough for a top hotel and the main areas including the check in fiasco, which are letting this hotel down. I pay 5 star prices for staying here and expect 5 star service to match.

Will I come back? Of course!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JJ2579

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Leela ,Kovalam is by far one of the best properties of the Leela group. A perfect place to enjoy a peacful holiday and soak in the true spirit of Kerala! The hotel is best placed and surrounded by the sea on most sides. The Infinity pools are the biggest attraction of the property. The spa offers reasonable and yet the best facilties. The resort owns its own private beach and the beauty is that it is constructed in a manner that keeps the natural souurdings intact. Actually, during my 3 days stay, I did not feel the the need to get out the resort at all ! if it is kovalam, it has to be the Leela's forever!! One can enjoy the sunset while swimming along the sea in the infinity pool ! The food is pre dominantaly a south indian cuisine and for someone who does not have a taste for the same may find it a little challenging, However the breakfast spread is huge and can cater to most. All in all, my stay was a meorable one and the property is par excellence!!

Room Tip: Take a room a little higher up as the view of the sea is breath taking and sunset is visible from th...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Traveller0303
Gurgaon
Reviewed November 6, 2011

As the name suggests this was kerala discovered. It was a good mixture of the traditional and the modern. The beach was good but seemed to have been overexploited of late. The beach would have been great had there been better maintainece but alas over tourism was having its impact.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashish36
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I had an opportunity to stay in Leela, Kovalam twice. We stayed here as part of our annual off-site. The hotel has excellent location with a great view of the Kovalam beach. The cottages with sea view are simply amazing. It would be unfair if I dont mention about excellent cuisines. I stayed in a villa which was excellent. The ride along the hotel on the buggy is also a great experience. The staff is exceptionally well behaved.

Room Tip: The Villas are excellent.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
notts
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Just back from 6 nights at the Leela. I stayed on business so didn't get to experience the hotel as a tourist or enjoy the nice looking pool, gym, spa or beach areas. I had a beachview room which was fine. A little shabby and dark in places but overall nice with a large comfy bed, big TV, lots of lighting, mirrors, drawers and hanging space. Slippers and a dressing gown were provided as were tea/coffee making facilities and a mini bar. The bathroom was lovely with a big shower and beautifully designed door. The room was kept clean each day with turndown service in the evening. Lots of food choice at the breakfast buffet with a nice cup of tea! In the evening, the sky bar was not open due to the bad weather, however, the bar near to the restaurant was pleasant enough. We had a couple of meals at Tides, the beachside restaurant which had a lovely atmosphere and good choice of food. We saw the garden rooms which were opposite Tides and were glad we were in beachview rooms. On other evenings, we ordered Pizza in the main restaurant and I had room service, both took approx 45 mins for the food to arrive which was a little longer than expected, hence the 3 stars for service. I found the majority of staff to be attentive, friendly and helpful. I may be returning to the area shortly for more business and look forward to staying at the Leela again, hopefully the weather will be better and I'll have a little time to myself to enjoy some of the facilities.

Room Tip: Beachview rooms are a must
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tognir
Munich, Germany
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed with our little daughter, just 8months at this time, and could not have made a better choice. The team was so extremely helpful and supportive with our little one. They pampered us very well with an complimnetary upgrade and very personal service. My wife liked the fried bananas so much that they prepared a small cooking class for her. Wow! The breakfast can get crowed, so keep the timing in mind in case you have to rush out. We had dinner in the club house which was very god and quite. The property is gorgeous and you can wander around as there is much to see. The Spa is phenomenal, had other ayurveda treatments before, but here it was outstanding! The beaches in walking distance are ok, but would not compete with Goa.

Room Tip: The Club house is a quiter place and more personal in service.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BackPacknGo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I attended a CIO conference and stayed in the Club Room. Excellent amenities in the room. The view from the Balcony is out of the world. You are actually in the sea. Highly Recommended.
Only thing they should have a authentic Kerala food restaurant

Room Tip: Use the Club Rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business