This was my family's third visit in 3 years to the Leela Kovalam.
I love this hotel. It is situated high on the cliff edge and the rooms are all located below the main lobby floor with the exception of the club and the garden pavillion rooms (beach).
We always go for the deluxe superior beach view rooms as these can accommodate my family of 2 adults and 2 children adequately.
On this occasion we were travelling with extended family and I had made bookings for 4 rooms in total, all with their own requirements. I emailed the hotel with clear details and each time I received the confirmation back, there were errors. After emailing back and forth a few times, I gave up of receiving correctly filled in booking forms.
On arrival at the Leela the check in process took over 45 mins as they had messed up the rooms and the names they were booked under (surprise surprise). The reservations team have a lot to answer for!! This was sorted out eventually but I had asked for two rooms to be next to each other and this request was not met even though I had emailed all requests over 6 weeks earlier. This was a disappointing start to a stay I had really looked forward to.
For the first time we were booked on a full board package and this did work out well on the whole, although the buffet for both lunch and dinner did get tedious as sometimes we felt like a pizza for lunch (and not curry and rice) and this is not part of the package. On one occasion we tried the Tides restaurant for lunch and can only say if you are happy to spend 3 hours over lunch then this is perfect. We however did not and to wait an hour between courses was unacceptable especially as the restaurant was not even a third full. Although the food was delicious.
We ventured over to the Lighthouse Beach (10 min stroll) which is where all the restaurants are located and I was surprised to see some restaurants no longer there and some new ones popping up from last October, when I last visited.
We stayed 3 nights in total on this occasion and the staff are amazing. They cannot do enough for you, especially in the restaurants.
The concierge weren't particularly helpful when I enquired what events were happening at the hotel and the area to celebrate Diwali (as we were there on this day). He told me nothing was happening and then I found out that the hotel had a small event for the kids on the beach (with sparklers and fireworks).
Check out was another mess up which is infuriating. I had to leave the hotel at 5pm and I asked if I could keep the room until then. This was refused as I was informed the hotel was fully booked. They allowed me to keep the room until 2pm. I packed up our belongings and handed the keys back to reception informing them that we had vacated the room and could they collect and store the luggage. We then continued to use the pool and later used my sister in laws room to shower (as they were staying an extra two days). After getting ready we made our way up to the lobby to check out. On the way up, we passed our old room and the bell boy was there removing our luggage.
At check out I asked them what was happening and why my luggage was only now being removed. They could not give me an answer. I went to the trouble of packing up our belongings quickly so I could vacate the room on time and arranging to get changed in another room when I could have used my room all along. These mistakes are not good enough for a top hotel and the main areas including the check in fiasco, which are letting this hotel down. I pay 5 star prices for staying here and expect 5 star service to match.
Will I come back? Of course!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Leela Raviz Kovalam - Indulgence is an art you will perfect at The Leela Raviz Kovalam while staying in any of our 183 rooms and suites. With a seamless blend of modern technology and traditional grandeur, the soothing décor of each room whispers warm aesthetics. Each room opens out to a breath-taking view of either the ocean or garden. All rooms are provided with luxury amenities to cater to discerning tastes. Unwind with exquisite facilities like an HD LCD television and a broadband connection for hi-speed internet. The Club rooms offer valet services, a gourmet corner with a fine selection of spirits, softdrinks and snacks and have luxurious bathrooms with a walk-in shower and a private infinity pool. Awake to auburn sunrises in the horizon or soak in the sun under azure skies at the infinity pools. Get a taste of the vacation of your dreams at The Leela Raviz Kovalam. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Leela Kovalam Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Leela Kovalam Beach Hotel Kovalam
- The Leela Kempinski Hotel Kovalam
- Hotel Leela Trivandrum
- The Leela Kovalam Beach Kerala