“Home from home”
Review of Pammae Palace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kovalam
Pammae Palace
Ranked #23 of 92 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have just come back from Kovalam where I had to be on business/pleasure. There are various hotels that will happily charge you £150 a night and yes they will come with all the services of a 5 star hotel and the added extra charges associated with that service. Pammae Palace came with a five star service with a tariff that was not.
I was on the first floor with an en suite which was of a decent size and perfect for me. I had the chance to look at all the rooms available and think that there is something for everyone's needs. There is a room on the 2nd floor that offers it's own roof terrace and privacy, my room and another on the 1st floor that are adjacent to the lounge and the rooms on the ground floor which were maybe a little darker but a room in my opinion is somewhere that you sleep and leave your belongings rather than somewhere you look to spend a lot of time and as there are several places to relax outside the bedrooms including 2 lounges, the dining room and the front or back terraces so I feel that all the bedrooms offer excellent value. All rooms came with AC and most were en suit.
The owners were live in and so always on hand if you needed something but equally I felt that I could have my own space. I was B&B but to be honest just had filter coffee which was always on tap and suited me perfectly. I also used the fridge for some beers that I got from the beer shop, 50irp's a bottle, a lot cheaper than the 120irp's the restaurants charge and normally a lot colder. the owners were a mind of local information and although I had been there before they were available for advise and happy to help with anything from an airport taxi booking to a restaurant reccomendation and as a rule they were always right!
Other facilities
The lounge offered satalite TV which was good to keep up with what was going on in the world or to just kill some time. There was Wifi available free of charge and while not maybe UK standard of speed, this was a huge benefit against the massive 3G costs which incidentally coverage is a little sporadic in India. There were some gym type machines which are not my thing but there for someone who is. There is a small pool which I will cover in location. There was a facility to have clothes laundered which at 15IRP's (25p-30p) an item and a fast service means you can really pack a lot less, a couple of days outfits are almost enough. I took books with me but there were loads there and so just borrow something and leave the book you got for the journey to add to their library. We borrowed a local mobile phone which was another huge saving as in two weeks I spent £3 on mobile calls and texts against £1.50 a minute.
It's away from the beach, about 2km, maybe not somewhere to stay if you want to be close to the sea but there is a small pool that I used daily and I enjoy being away from the hustle of a beach fronted hotels. It is about 1km away from the junction where there are many shops and where for about 20irp's you can catch an air conditioned bus to Trivandrum that come about every 15 minutes.
Pet lovers or haters.
I am the former and was happy to be greeted by Beryl on my return each day. She loved me and cuddled me daily. If you are allergic then be aware that she rules the roost!
Top Tip
It is very easy to think that everything is really cheap and this can lead to being "ripped off" so please think before you tip someone what is to you just a few pounds but is to them a weeks wages. 30irp's is normally more than enough for anything, 10% MAX.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Tomplonk
Pammae, Owner at Pammae Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. If I can help in any way in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Just returned from a most remarkable holiday in Kovalam Kerala Southern India made more enjoyable by the accomadation and hospitality of the owners of the Guest house Pammae Palace.Who were always on hand to give advice regards travel in the area including use of the rickshaws,and the rail service there was also an excelent taxi driver they introduced us to who was very resonable.The accomadation was first class,our room was self contained en suite and was cleaned regularly and thank god for the airconditioning. Although breakfast was supplied we had access to Kitchen which was well equiped there was also internet,and cable TV to enable us to keep in contact with home.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor which was ideal as you could leave the windows open and have a nice br...