“Just open during season time :(”
Review of 3rd Rock

3rd Rock
Ranked #3 of 72 Restaurants in Kovalam
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I happened to visit kovalam a few days back for a couple of days. And as a food enthusiast I make it a point to check out some popular restaurants and experience them myself. The third rock cafe was one of the should visit places in my checklist but unfortunately I was not able to experience the food and service since these guys were closed. Then I came to know that these people are closed throughout the non seasonal period! Well that means from may till the time the rains last. Found it pretty wierd for a place which is so highly rated on trip advisor.

The only thing that I can possibly talk about here is the location of this restaurant which is also not so great. Surely its right in front of the samudra beach but I guess its one of the less visited beaches in kovalam since its not a sand beach. I would rate other restaurant located at the light house beach much more than this one in terms of location as well.

Well..this place is out of my checklist because of its location . Trust me..kovalam has surely better eat outs at better locations.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Only disappointment was when Saaj closed up a week into our stay as his season was ending. Great food at great prices, genuinely warm welcome and no up-selling - in fact, we were advised to order less as the samosas were so big! Perfect host who gets the balance right between chatting and not intruding.

1  Thank sandy w
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The 3rd Rock is one of three restaurants that use the sea wall at Samudra Beach. The others being The Seagull and the Water's Edge. The Uday Samudra Resort also set a couple of tables out at night. This restaurant also has some tables inside and beside the sea wall. not the same view but sheltered. If you go for the outside options a torch comes in handy while eating at night.

Indian wine (sometimes even half bottles), beer and spirits usually available. Staff were cheerful and helpful. The food was up to a good standard, hot and generous portions. We both went for seafood options and were consulted about the desired degree of spiciness.

We were happy enough to go back a second night the food again was good. this time I opted for a vegetarian dish and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It wasn't painful to pay but as everywhere it would be cheaper to eat out if you didn't drink. But sure, we're on holiday.

1  Thank BangorCol
Reviewed March 21, 2013

One of our favourite restaurants. We have been going there for years and have never heard a bad report. The menu is varied and the service is very friendly and attentive. Prices are reasonable, especially the vegetarian food which is quite superb (and this from a dedicated meat eater!). Try it - you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Ianrowe01
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited this restaurant five years ago and decided to return to see if it had changed any. We in here loads and Saaj and the boys were always so helpful in fact they still remembered us from the last time. The food is excellent very reasonable priced and service is brill. Loved just to sit and eat on the wall.

2  Thank 186534Shazza