“A sweet home of tranquillity”

Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 87 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This truly is a home of Vedic Heritage, built according to a very high standard of Vastu architecture, where silence and peace pervade every room. Every aspect of the stay was simple, but sufficient, friendly and accommodating. A delightful taste of 'country' India, yet with free internet connection, so no need to be out of touch. Certainly more than expected for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My review is from a first impression. I booked a 13 night stay at the hotel but after arriving my wife and I felt it wasn't what we were expecting. Not the best of starts. We had arranged with Charles to be picked up at the airport at 08:30, even though our flight was brought forward by an hour we still expected our transfer to arrive by 08:30, when no one turned up I asked one of the porters if he could contact the hotel for us and we were told the taxi would arrive shortly, it eventually arrived at 09:15. The path from the hotel to the beach was not the safest of ways which in the night would seem a bit like a assault course. The bed had a mosquito net around it which made the overhead fan no use in the evenings. Very limited cupboard space for your clothes. I enquired before booking about a safety deposit box of which I was told there would be one, it turned out to be a drawer in a cupboard with a lock fitted, the draw didn't lock. There were no issues about us leaving and the hotel even arranged for our cases to be taken to the hotel we eventually stayed in. I don't want this to seem a poor review for the hotel but as I said it wasn't what I was expecting.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taffyonhols
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for that review. In fact it is not a review but a complaint of mishappenings which was completely out of our control. Like never before and very unusually your flight arrives at 07.00 am, one hour earlier than the scheduled time 08.05 am and your specification in your email for pickup details. You could have easily found a telephone at the airport to make a call to us and say that you have arrived. In fact you could have called us from Mumbai before you took off to Trivandrum. So at 08.05 precise I get your telephone call from the airport and annoyed at the taxi not arriving. Usually it from 20-40 minutes before you are actually out of the arrival terminal. The taxi was on its way and I remember that taxi arrived at 08.25 at the airport and you were at the hotel at 09.15 am. The moment I saw you entering the gate I could see that trouble was on its way. If you remember I even told you while showing the room that it was ok with us if you didn't wanted to stay and move to another hotel. All my staff noticed the hissig vibe your wife had right from the beginning you entered the hotel. They told me you wont stay and I said it was better that way for everybody, for you and for us. And that happened. You moved out after 3-4 hours and we even helped you to find people to carry your luggage. Happily we parted our ways. That is what actually happened.

The irony is that it was Air India that came 1 hr. before the scheduled time. Those who know Air India will have a big laughter at this mishappening. We guess our stars are not in the right constellation at this moment because everyone who in fact didn't stay at our place has given us very bad reviews lately and we wonder why. What can we say... we will keep up our positive attitude, good spirit and smile and keep on doing the same service to all our guests. Sometimes things can go wrong and then we ask you to excuse us and help us make it better. And keep smiling.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Booked a week and stayed for five! What more can I say. Fantastic host, wonderful atmosphere, the most relaxing place we have ever stayed. So useful in arranging trips etc, but my favourite was the authentic Kerelan breakfasts!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for a very kind and giving review. Yes, you and your husband came for a week and then stayed on for a month. Not only that you invited one of your dear friend from London to come to India for the first time. He came for 2 weeks and stayed with us 4 weeks, changing tickets at least to times. It was a great pleasure having you stay with us and looking forward to your return someday. Every guest is like a family member than a tourist and we put some love in our service. Your review gives us the spirit to carry on with our smile even with some difficult guests. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Vedic Heritage and Boutique hotel is neither heritage not boutique. The building is only three years old so its anything but heritage. The bedrooms are simple, the bathrooms spartan. Rooms have no a/c, no fridge and no kettle. The fan is very noisy but turn it off and you will be devoured by mosquitoes. Worse, the rooms are not serviced. One expects more from a hotel that styles itself "boutique." But the place has a tranquil atmosphere and they serve a nice traditional Kerala breakfast. The hotel certainly has its shortcomings but at 2000 rupees a room it still represents very good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reddy6
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Mr.Reddy,

Thank you for you review and we appreciate your feedback on our negative points and we promise to improve in those areas. As for the name, it was what turned up in my mind while I was doing the ground work for the building. We have no idea about how the name has misled you in any way. The house is built with the Vedic principles of Vastu Shastra and we have managed to create a space that has a Feng Shui type feeling. Some of our guests who have stayed with us for weeks have seriously said that they feel a kind of healing energy in the house and about their vanishing pains in the body. So we are really proud of our name Vedic Heritage and not going to change it at any cost. By boutique hotel we don't mean to have a boutique store for shopping at the hotel. Aboutique hotel is some where in between a homestay and a hotel and has a special atmosphere and character. Simplicity is our religion at Vedic Heritage.

We don't serve food for our guests other than breakfast. It says on our website. Only breakfast is served but we will always make a cup of coffee or tea for our guest on their request regardless of the time of the day or night. You probably remember us making you ginger tea a few times because you came to our hotel as a sick man. You said you had Bombay belly meaning diarrhea and was feeling pretty bad. I insisted you go to a doctor and on the second day you agreed to go. We sent you to the best hospital in the city. On your same trip to the hospital we had arranged with the autorickshaw driver to take you around in the city bazaar and do your shopping. If you were disappointed in not able to eat and dine at our hotel we strongly apologise and we will look into the possibilities of doing something about it. But we wont be serving the food in the room in any case, in order to keep the cleanliness and hygiene of the house in a high level. You are all ready complaining about our cleanliness, so we should try and improve even better. Therefore no food will be served in the room unless the person is sick.

We have fixed the fan in the room you slept. You must know that fans do make some sound any way and many people prefer the fan than AC rooms. Our rooms feel fresh and do not have a stale ordour like most of the hotel rooms have. Our rooms are airy, lot of natural light and high raised roof than most of the hotel to keep the air movement in the room.

I remember you saying to me that on your next trip to India you will start your holidays at our hotel and then move on to other places. So we do hope you will return. Thank you so long,

with lot of regards

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Be sure to stay at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel if you want peace and tranquility with easy access to beautiful Lighthouse Beach in Kovalam.
We took a 4-hour taxi ride from Alleppey to Kovalam and we were met on the street by porters from Vedic Heritage. Just a small warning: Even though your luggage will be carried for you by porters, it is a very steep walk from where the car leaves you off, to the hotel (you must take the same walk when you leave as well), and a somewhat challenging short walk from the hotel down to Lighthouse Beach for anyone with a slight disability with walking. If you are steady on your feet, don't stay anywhere else other than Vedic!!!
We stayed for 3 nights and would have loved to stay longer. From the first "hello", we clicked with Charles and this place right away. We really liked the fact that the hotel is a bit away from the beach (although we could see the water from the balcony of our room on the first floor) and in a quiet, lush, peaceful setting. Some of our greatest memories were sitting around the breakfast table (eating a traditional home-cooked Kerala breakfast), talking, laughing, and sharing stories with the other guests, Charles and his lovely girlfriend. We were lucky to have such a great group of people staying there with us, and we all got along so well.
The rooms are large and very clean, and the beds are comfortable and wrapped in a mosquito net. The mosquitos were not bad at all, but we used the net anyway, just to be safe, as we left the windows open every night. If you are looking into this hotel, please note that it is an eco-friendly property, and therefore there is no air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan in the middle of the room and if you can live without A/C, we can honestly say that this was one of our favorite places to stay in India. It has a very warm, tranquil, welcoming atmosphere and Charles does everything and anything necessary to make your stay comfortable. He is a great guy, very funny, and his English is excellent, as he has lived abroad for many years. At our request, he arranged for us to have an Ayurvedic treatment one day, and we loved it so much, we went back the next day for the exact same 1-1/2 hour treatment. The name of the place that we would highly recommend is Vigneshwara Ayurvedic Health Centre, only a short walk from the hotel.
When we were planning our trip to the south of India, we were debating on whether to stay in Kovalam or Varkala, and from everything that we experienced, we were delighted with our decision to stay in Kovalam. The beach is beautiful and clean, the area is not too touristy, and it is small enough to get around on foot. The guys renting lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach are so friendly and fun, and there is also a good selection of restaurants. Don't miss out on the chance to sample some delicious local fruit. The numerous fruit ladies lining the beach are more than willing to cut up a plate of fruit and deliver it right to you while you relax on the beach. It is not expensive and really worth it!
If you want to venture out, there are some great local villiages to explore accessible easily by autorickshaw, or even by foot.
We really enjoyed everything about Vedic. We almost forgot that we were staying at a "hotel" - it felt more like "home"!! Would we go back?? Absolutely and without a doubt!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. It was a great pleasure to have you staying with us even though it was a short period. The laughs and talks we had at the breakfast table is truely memorable. And it was very impressive to see how you learned fast wearing the Indian dhoti. Hopefully we will meet again someday and will have again all that good times around the breakfast table. Take care and see you again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at Vedic Heritage boutique hotel for three weeks, during which I attended a yoga work shop. I had looked on trip advisor and did extensive research on B&B's around the Kovalam area, and by far the Vedic Heritage boutique hotel stood out from the rest.
I had been delayed leaving New Zealand by five hours, but Charles (proprioter) had organised and changed my pick up from the airport, which as a first time traveler to India was very appreciative.
Having been tired and jet lagged from the flight it was welcoming to be greeted by Charles who was waiting for me, with his compassionate smile and a cup a chai!

Charles showed me to my room which was a slice of heaven...big king size bed with a mosquito net. The room was spacious and very clean, which was one of one of the main reasons I booked Vedic heritage boutique hotel. The hotel exceeded all my expectations, with marble tiles through-out the building which was built in true Kerala style;made the hotel a cool haven when catching up on emails.
The main highlight was breakfast, each morning after yoga practice Charle's staff would have prepared a traditional Kerala breakfast....absolutely fantastic!!
Having only six rooms, this B&B was a blissful, quiet retreat to get away and relax.
Charles and this team where friendly and helpful with any questions that you may have, Charles through his kind nature and his helpfulness made my first time experience to India one that I will never forget...I'll be back to stay at the Vedic Hertiage Boutique Hotel in December

Room Tip: Be careful what Vedic hotel you book, there is a Vedic hotel but you need to book the Vedic heritage...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear S**** :)

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure having you stay with us for almost a month. Take care and have a good time. See you again next year or end of the year.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 29, 2012

In total I spent two weeks at Vedic and found Charles to be charming and helpful at all times. He is a very interesting guy who was born in Kerala but has spent many many years in Europe he has an appreciation of the needs of European travellers and has created a beautifully calm hotel. He has a great knowledge and understanding of ayurveda and yogic philosophy which he is happy to share, we had many an interesting chat over breakfasts.

The hotel has an amazing energy and spirit which you feel as soon as you arrive and everyone I met whilst there said they had never slept so well in any hotel!

Before I arrived and between my stays at Vedic my itinerary changed several times and Charles was very patient and understanding with every change.

On arrival in Kovalam we could not find the Vedic but on calling Charles he ensured we got to where we needed to be and was there waiting to meet me with someone to carry my bags. (Tip: if looking for Vedic at any point ask for Charles's place and everyone will know exactly where you mean!)

My room was the most spacious I had during my Kerala trip with plenty of cupboard/drawer space and a huge spotless bathroom with hot water at any time of day. the private terrace was a real bonus and although you are set back from the sea you could hear the ocean quite clearly, the balcony overlooked the garden with its own coconut and banana trees and a variety of bird life.

I had mentioned that I was interested in yoga and ayurvedic treatments during my stay and on arrival Charles took me to introduce me to an amazing yoga teacher (Padma - Pink Flowers) only a couple of minutes walk away, walked me down to the beach to get my bearings, pointed out some good places to eat and then arranged for the owner of the ayurvedic centre to come and meet me to arrange treatments and show me where to go.

The breakfasts were Amazing, traditional Kerala food cooked by Charles two female staff and varied daily. There was never a need to eat again until evening after such amazing food to start the day. If Charles is around when you return to the hotel he will always offer some Chai which he will happily bring to your room for you.

Charles will help organise any trip you want to make and has an excellent rickshaw driver he will call whenever you need it.

Yes the house is set back a couple of minutes walk from the beach and the path does need some work but I did not find it unduly dirty and felt quite comfortable walking to and fro at any time of day. The beach area itself is very developed and I enjoyed staying a few minutes away from this.

When it came to leaving I had a night departure and Charles was waiting in the early hours to see me off and say goodbye.

If I return to Kovalam again I would definitely stay at the Vedic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Carole R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kovalam
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Searock Beach Resort
Searock Beach Resort
#27 of 52 in Kovalam
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort
The Travancore Heritage Beach Re...
#11 of 96 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Unwind Hotels & Resorts
Unwind Hotels & Resorts
#5 of 87 in Kovalam

Been to Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!