“Peace and tranquility in Kovalam!”

Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 87 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Be sure to stay at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel if you want peace and tranquility with easy access to beautiful Lighthouse Beach in Kovalam.
We took a 4-hour taxi ride from Alleppey to Kovalam and we were met on the street by porters from Vedic Heritage. Just a small warning: Even though your luggage will be carried for you by porters, it is a very steep walk from where the car leaves you off, to the hotel (you must take the same walk when you leave as well), and a somewhat challenging short walk from the hotel down to Lighthouse Beach for anyone with a slight disability with walking. If you are steady on your feet, don't stay anywhere else other than Vedic!!!
We stayed for 3 nights and would have loved to stay longer. From the first "hello", we clicked with Charles and this place right away. We really liked the fact that the hotel is a bit away from the beach (although we could see the water from the balcony of our room on the first floor) and in a quiet, lush, peaceful setting. Some of our greatest memories were sitting around the breakfast table (eating a traditional home-cooked Kerala breakfast), talking, laughing, and sharing stories with the other guests, Charles and his lovely girlfriend. We were lucky to have such a great group of people staying there with us, and we all got along so well.
The rooms are large and very clean, and the beds are comfortable and wrapped in a mosquito net. The mosquitos were not bad at all, but we used the net anyway, just to be safe, as we left the windows open every night. If you are looking into this hotel, please note that it is an eco-friendly property, and therefore there is no air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan in the middle of the room and if you can live without A/C, we can honestly say that this was one of our favorite places to stay in India. It has a very warm, tranquil, welcoming atmosphere and Charles does everything and anything necessary to make your stay comfortable. He is a great guy, very funny, and his English is excellent, as he has lived abroad for many years. At our request, he arranged for us to have an Ayurvedic treatment one day, and we loved it so much, we went back the next day for the exact same 1-1/2 hour treatment. The name of the place that we would highly recommend is Vigneshwara Ayurvedic Health Centre, only a short walk from the hotel.
When we were planning our trip to the south of India, we were debating on whether to stay in Kovalam or Varkala, and from everything that we experienced, we were delighted with our decision to stay in Kovalam. The beach is beautiful and clean, the area is not too touristy, and it is small enough to get around on foot. The guys renting lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach are so friendly and fun, and there is also a good selection of restaurants. Don't miss out on the chance to sample some delicious local fruit. The numerous fruit ladies lining the beach are more than willing to cut up a plate of fruit and deliver it right to you while you relax on the beach. It is not expensive and really worth it!
If you want to venture out, there are some great local villiages to explore accessible easily by autorickshaw, or even by foot.
We really enjoyed everything about Vedic. We almost forgot that we were staying at a "hotel" - it felt more like "home"!! Would we go back?? Absolutely and without a doubt!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. It was a great pleasure to have you staying with us even though it was a short period. The laughs and talks we had at the breakfast table is truely memorable. And it was very impressive to see how you learned fast wearing the Indian dhoti. Hopefully we will meet again someday and will have again all that good times around the breakfast table. Take care and see you again soon.

Charles

There are newer reviews for Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at Vedic Heritage boutique hotel for three weeks, during which I attended a yoga work shop. I had looked on trip advisor and did extensive research on B&B's around the Kovalam area, and by far the Vedic Heritage boutique hotel stood out from the rest.
I had been delayed leaving New Zealand by five hours, but Charles (proprioter) had organised and changed my pick up from the airport, which as a first time traveler to India was very appreciative.
Having been tired and jet lagged from the flight it was welcoming to be greeted by Charles who was waiting for me, with his compassionate smile and a cup a chai!

Charles showed me to my room which was a slice of heaven...big king size bed with a mosquito net. The room was spacious and very clean, which was one of one of the main reasons I booked Vedic heritage boutique hotel. The hotel exceeded all my expectations, with marble tiles through-out the building which was built in true Kerala style;made the hotel a cool haven when catching up on emails.
The main highlight was breakfast, each morning after yoga practice Charle's staff would have prepared a traditional Kerala breakfast....absolutely fantastic!!
Having only six rooms, this B&B was a blissful, quiet retreat to get away and relax.
Charles and this team where friendly and helpful with any questions that you may have, Charles through his kind nature and his helpfulness made my first time experience to India one that I will never forget...I'll be back to stay at the Vedic Hertiage Boutique Hotel in December

Room Tip: Be careful what Vedic hotel you book, there is a Vedic hotel but you need to book the Vedic heritage...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear S**** :)

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure having you stay with us for almost a month. Take care and have a good time. See you again next year or end of the year.

Best Regards
Charles

Reviewed December 29, 2012

In total I spent two weeks at Vedic and found Charles to be charming and helpful at all times. He is a very interesting guy who was born in Kerala but has spent many many years in Europe he has an appreciation of the needs of European travellers and has created a beautifully calm hotel. He has a great knowledge and understanding of ayurveda and yogic philosophy which he is happy to share, we had many an interesting chat over breakfasts.

The hotel has an amazing energy and spirit which you feel as soon as you arrive and everyone I met whilst there said they had never slept so well in any hotel!

Before I arrived and between my stays at Vedic my itinerary changed several times and Charles was very patient and understanding with every change.

On arrival in Kovalam we could not find the Vedic but on calling Charles he ensured we got to where we needed to be and was there waiting to meet me with someone to carry my bags. (Tip: if looking for Vedic at any point ask for Charles's place and everyone will know exactly where you mean!)

My room was the most spacious I had during my Kerala trip with plenty of cupboard/drawer space and a huge spotless bathroom with hot water at any time of day. the private terrace was a real bonus and although you are set back from the sea you could hear the ocean quite clearly, the balcony overlooked the garden with its own coconut and banana trees and a variety of bird life.

I had mentioned that I was interested in yoga and ayurvedic treatments during my stay and on arrival Charles took me to introduce me to an amazing yoga teacher (Padma - Pink Flowers) only a couple of minutes walk away, walked me down to the beach to get my bearings, pointed out some good places to eat and then arranged for the owner of the ayurvedic centre to come and meet me to arrange treatments and show me where to go.

The breakfasts were Amazing, traditional Kerala food cooked by Charles two female staff and varied daily. There was never a need to eat again until evening after such amazing food to start the day. If Charles is around when you return to the hotel he will always offer some Chai which he will happily bring to your room for you.

Charles will help organise any trip you want to make and has an excellent rickshaw driver he will call whenever you need it.

Yes the house is set back a couple of minutes walk from the beach and the path does need some work but I did not find it unduly dirty and felt quite comfortable walking to and fro at any time of day. The beach area itself is very developed and I enjoyed staying a few minutes away from this.

When it came to leaving I had a night departure and Charles was waiting in the early hours to see me off and say goodbye.

If I return to Kovalam again I would definitely stay at the Vedic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Carole R
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Vedic Heritage House is a beautiful old home, with elegant wood verandas and simple, but comfortable rooms. We were just starting our trip, so it's possible we didn't appreciate the comfort of Vedic as much as we would now, but it was a wonderful stay. The owner, Charles (an Indian), splits his time between Kovalam and Europe and runs a great business. The basic rooms have a large, comfortable bed (or 2 twin, if you prefer) with a fitted mosquito net, ornate wooden furniture, and attached bathrooms of reasonable cleanliness. Both Charles and Muthu, the host/concierge, have studied ayurveda, so Vedic offers absolutely delicious, clean, healthy food. Looking back, it has been some of the best food we've had in India. The puttu and appam breakfasts are still fresh in our memories. Two huge perks of Vedic Heritage is the free, filtered water and the free WiFi. Charles and Muthu both made us feel right at home and welcomed us warmly to India. Vedic Heritage is set back off the beach on a dilapidated public foot path. The path is dirty and unpleasant, but you must use the path to access the beach and the "boardwalk" area. Also, while the room was very clean, we did see 2 large cockroaches in our room in the evenings. While this is not uncommon in budget rooms in south India, we would expect a room at this price to be roach-free.

Pros: Peaceful verandas, Friendly staff, Delicious food, Filtered water, WiFi
Cons: Location (for the price), Double cockroach sighting

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The owner Charles may appear nice to most of the guests but he is actually a disgusting person.
...We had booked a room for three nights over Diwali for us and our two small kids. When we arrived at the hotel, he started arguing that this is not the right place for us to stay. First he said that the way to the beach was to difficult because of my husband's bad knee. He insisted we should go and find another place. We thought it was kind of him, so I went around in Kovalam to find a place closer to the beach - but I had booked Vedic well in advance and when I came back I wanted to stay here. But my husband told me we should find another place, because as I was away, Charles has started to criticize the fact that we had two kids (what he knew, because we wrote it when we booked). He said that the place was not safe for kids, that he had no milk or bread for the kids (no milk?...), and so on. He was so strange that we decided to go for another place. But it took some time, as we were calling the hotels and waiting for them to confirm if they had rooms or not. Charles started to be impatient. It was lunch time and very hot, the kids were thirsty and hungry, my son was completely wet from sweating. But Charles was not happy because he wanted us to move from his doorstep, he did not even give water to the kids or so. Just when we were on the point of leaving, he told me "and if you had stayed, I could have not extended the stay of three couples - bad for my business"...!!! Actually the whole time, he wanted to get rid of us because he wanted to keep three couples for a longer time in his pension and one room was missing! He was pretty stupid to tell me so, but at least it was clear for me that he is a bad guy. For him, no problem to spoil our first afternoon in Kovalam (we had only four days), no problem to have our kids waiting in the sun, he just wanted to make more money. I told him he thinks only at money. He said, "of course, that is my business".
In the hand we went to Varma Beach Hotel, were the people were very nice and friendly, and the beach was much nicer than the Kovalam Beach. So we can say we were lucky and I am happy I did not stay at Vedic.
So if you book Vedic, you just know what kind of people you are giving your money to...

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Babeline
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear french couple,

Thank you for the review even though you didn`t stay at our hotel. It is always easy to see the perspective from one side alone, the totality is a hard matter to digest. It is clearly stated on our website that we do not accomodate children below the age of 11. Your husband tried his best to convince us through your emails that your 2 children (2 and 4 years old) were very quite in behaviour and hence for the first time we decided to make an exeption due to your serious interest in staying with us. He never stated in his emails that he was suffering from a knee problem and using 2 crutches to walk. Upon your arrival at the hotel you demanded a room on the ground floor which we were unable to provide since we had blocked a room for you on the first floor. Seeing your husband`s disability to go and I, Charles suggested that for his comfort and wellbeing it was better you found a room on the beach front, 150 meters from our hotel. You agreed and we sent you to look around together with a local boy as help, which was our courtesy to help you find the best alternatives on the beach. You returned after looking at many other places and insisted you stayed at Vedic Heritage because the other hotels didn`t meet your standard for cleanliness and hygiene especially for your children.

While you were gone to look for other hotels your husband and 2 children stayed at our lounge or the big hall in the ground floor. We even gave the password to our wireless router because he wanted to surf on the internet. The 2 children played around in the hall by using the crutches to bang on the beautiful pillars we have painfully created in the hall and on the outside balcony. They were making a big noise and sometimes screaming loud. Some of our long term staying guests came down in the mean time and talked to me. They said that they will vacate the hotel if your family was going to stay at the hotel because it was too loud noise from the children. I was caught up in a delema trying to please both the sides. In the meantime the children and your husband had unpacked the bag containing the toys for the children and it was spread all over the entrance door. We had to request your husband to remove them because it was blocking the passage for the other guests who were going in and out.

In our big hall where your husband and 2 children were freely moving there is a water purifier with cleaning drinking water for everyone who comes in the house, regardless they are guests or not. Your husband could have given that drinking water to your children but he was busy surfing on the internet. How could we know your children were thirsty if your husband didn`t even see that? The children were busy running around the big hall all the time. We were very patient and accomodative all the time. When you returned from the beach after looking at many other hotels and insisted that you somehow stayed with us I objected. That is true. Then you started abusing me by saying that I was only happy to accomodate tourists and was only thinking of money. I replied by saying that this hotel was made only for tourists and I was not doing a charity job and of course money is an important factor to run a business. Otherwise why should I run this complex business of service to other people where my job is to please everyone from all over the world, different cultures, chracters and behaviours? Sometimes this is a very difficult job, madame. You, then forgot that you were also a tourist and blaming me for accomodating and liking only tourists. You were too angry at me, madame. And even forgot that you were yourself a tourist.

I am happy to know everything turned out good for you in the end and you had a good holiday even though I lost some business for 4 days. With pleasure!!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've just returned from 2 weeks in India. The Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel was my best find. Charles the owner did everything possible to make my stay enjoyable and peaceful. The hotel itself is fairly new, well designed and only 5 rooms. The light and space in the house is amazing.
Each day for breakfast I experienced great coffee and a variety of Kerala breakfasts, prepared just for me....
Charles organised massage, yoga and trips to see the local area - he could not have been more accommodating and delightful.
I was travelling in low season so the local beaches and area was very quite. I would highly recommend going in low season, good day and evening climate and some rain (still monsoon season).
I can't wait to return and do more yoga and chill out.
If you want a quite, relaxing and peaceful time without all the mod cons of swimming pool, bar, air conditioning etc this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SVLondonuk
Reviewed September 6, 2012

It was a rare pleasure to stay at this beautifully designed, immaculately kept guest house. A short walk along the footpaths took us either to the beaches ideal for swimming, or to a beautiful Kali temple. Charles is a most gracious host and provides assistance with day trips and other interesting facets of life at Kovalam Beach and Kerala in general.

Room Tip: We had a room one the first floor near the wild gardens and saw wonderful birdlife and squirrels fro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kovalam
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Searock Beach Resort
Searock Beach Resort
#27 of 52 in Kovalam
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort
The Travancore Heritage Beach Re...
#11 of 95 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Unwind Hotels & Resorts
Unwind Hotels & Resorts
#5 of 87 in Kovalam

Been to Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!