It is when you stay in a place like this, you realise the value of a Taj or a Leela. Besides a good location, there is NOTHIN going for this hotel. They are supremely understaffed, the property is in dire needs of repairs, they have NO LIQUOR LICENCE inspite of being in the business for 3 years.
We had gone to Kovalam to celebrate my birthday, along with my wife and kid. Considering this was on the beach we had given the Taj a miss, since it was about 3 kms away. But that was a mistake i realise in hindsight.
When i pay over INR 10000 (USD 200) per night, i expect a minimum set of services. EG there was no easy way to reach the beach which was merely 800 mtrs away but on a VERY steep road which is difficult to walk on with a small kid - a courtesy drop would not have hurt. A drop to the Leela (800 mts away) was charged at INR 250 and a drop to Taj INR 800. I mean, come on! Taj had given us a Range Rover pick and drop to a ferry pickup (1.5kms away) on the house!
We were there for 4 nights and on most of the days housekeeping was making the room WHILE we were in it. This was inspite being away for 3 hours!
The rooms are poorly lit, so poor that you cannot see inside properly. One day one i wanted to check out and go to the Taj, but they refused to refund my balance! So i was stuck.
The pool isnt cleaned every day and there is a lot of muck around. It rained almost everynight while we were there. But even my 9 am there outdoor furniture was wet, the buffet breakfast tables were wet, most of the pool beds did not have a mattress. Those that did, were not cleaned.
More than once i have encountered staff that was rude to us! A lot of dangerous debris is left lying around (junked nails, broken plinths, wet floors etc)
Im not going back EVER.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By blending the finest of art with the most sophisticated luxury, Turtle on the Beach brings about a new grammar in holidaying in this part of the world. You will find it unique in every way you look at it, either as a whole or in parts that make it a whole. And that makes Turtle on the Beach a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Turtle On The Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle On The Beach Hotel Kovalam
- Turtle On The Beach Kovalam, Kerala