“A very favorite Guest House”
Review of Aparna Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kovalam
Aparna Guest House
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“A very favorite Guest House”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

For all too many years I have returned to this Guest House, first as a private traveller (its older predecessor was in the early Lonely Planet Guides) and in the last 10 years with my wife and son. Charles, the Manager, is ably assisted by long standing and devoted staff. Nothing is too much trouble - from arranging the taxi pick up at the Airport at the god awful hours most of us arrive in India, to incredible beach birthday fireworks displays for my young son, to arranging local mobile telephone cards for cheap calls home etc. The location is quiet and beside 2 great beaches minutes away. Rooms are spotless and staff honest. A la Carte breakfast from the hotel opposite is brought to your room. It may not have air con, but the fans do just well. You will not be disappointed and its prices are excellent value for what you get. Just don't book all the rooms when I travel back again next year. Bring a pair of ear plugs as although you are high away from the sea, the waves do make noise!

Room Tip: As always, sea views are best and why not go for a balcony with a view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed for four nights at Aparna and can't fault it. We had a beautiful room on the 3rd floor with a gorgeous balcony overlooking the sea. The room was immaculate and cleaned every day. It was the cleanest room and bathroom we had during two months in southern India. There was even a fridge in the room which was a great touch being able to keep water and drinks cold (and a beer or two to drink on the balcony!)
It is situated a little walk from the beach up the hill, but really it's just a couple of minutes and means you have great views.
There is wifi available but you have to go down into the basement to use but it's not too much of an issue.
Our friends rented the top floor apartment which was stunning - it can sleep three with a fully fitted kitchen, dinning table and almost 360 degree views of Kovalam. If you have a little extra budget thus is definitely worth it, it's like being in Ibiza, in India!!!

Room Tip: Try and get the top floor apartment if its available an your budget can stretch a little more
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charliet
San Francisco
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've been coming to India every year for decades and I've sampled many Kovalam hotels. It took me awhile to find the Aparna and now I won't go anywhere else. The location and the cleanliness are awesome. The staff, headed by Charles, are the best. They have redefined customer service.
As a woman traveling alone I appreciate the care. I feel safe here. It's also nice to be off the beach which is a scene and can get old. Here you have the view but it's peaceful.
I'm a big fan and can't wait to return in September !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ShaktiSanFrancisco
Ghasri, Malta
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Have been staying at Aparna for the last 20 years or perhaps longer. There is nowhere else in Kovalam I would like to be. Charles is the most able administrator and Sathyan and team keep a tight ship always with a smile. You feel spoilt without being in a hotel and all the conveniences nearby.
I just look look forward to being there again soon,

Room Tip: top floor rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Aparna several times over the last five or six years and always look forward to my next visit. The rooms are spotless, cleaned every day, and the linens are changed every day; laundry is picked up in the morning and returned in the evening. The staff is always helpful with assistance and information on day trips, restaurants and cultural events, and advice on how to manage any problem. Each room has a refrigerator and a locked security box, and, of course, a balcony. The staff remembers the guests. Charles goes out of his way to help, as do the others. The hotel is well located, near beaches, restaurants, travel agency offices, and internet cafes. Although there is no restaurant in the hotel, there is some room service from the nearby Rockholm Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Susan O
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Aparna for 5 nights. I only intended to stay for 2-3 but I was so happy I decided to stay a bit longer.
I cannot fault the advice or service I received there. My laundry was returned within a couple of hours. I asked for advice on topping up the credit on my phone and someone went off to do it for me! I am travelling alone and felt very safe here. It's a short walk to the beach down a steep(ish) hill but this does mean the views from the balcony are great. No tv or a/c bit this suited me fine. I would definitely stay there again if I return to Kovalam.

• Stayed April 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

As a couple travelling to India every year our first port of call is always the Aparna, feels like coming home. Charles and Sathyan and all the staff make us feel welcome. Lovely clean rooms whichever floor you stay on. Bediding,towels and rooms cleaned daily. All have ceiling fan, fridge and a safe, which is a new addition to the fresh fooms. Aparna is well placed for a strole down to the lovely beaches or a walk down the back alleys the many restaurants and little shops.
The Aparna doesnt have a restaurant, but tea and coffee readily available and meals can be brought in from the Rockholm Hotel across the alley.
We have stayed there over 15 times and will always recommend and return. Many thanks.

Stayed January 2013