“rip OFF”

Ranked #42 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
mid argyll
“rip OFF”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the worst places to stay there is a lot cheaper and better than this as we found to our cost with a pool and better breakfast for a third of the money they are charging in my honest opinion a complete RIPOFF I really hope I get a reply to this to see how they justified 200 pounds for a week

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank thomas t

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kibworth, UK
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We can't praise our stay at Shirley's enough and are disappointed to read the ungrateful reviews from other guests! Shirley met us with a warm welcome and it was a pleasure to see her smiling face and Sambath her son and Mohammed (generally very useful chap to have around) every day! Our room was most importantly spotlessly clean! Also spacious with a large very cold fridge and balcony with a street view. It's a 2 min walk from the main restaurants and beach but tucked away enough to be quiet when you want to go to bed. There was plenty of hot water, not that you will want it, and the inclusive breakfast on the roof was always fresh and tasty! You couldn't ask for better value at under £12 per night for 2 people inc tax and breakfast. We were so sad to leave both Shirley's and Kovalam and would recommend both in a heartbeat!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireandSteve_13
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I booked this hotel after reading reviews from tripadvisor and booked through cleartrip almost 2 months before my travel. I was aware of its rating but compramised myself for the budget. Only reason for booking was that it was close to Leela bus stop so it would be easier for commuting around. After a week long journey across various places of kerala we reached this place at 2 PM for check -in. The hotel receptionist had a blank expression nitially seeing our booking. After few calls he asked the auto guy to take us to a new place at a different location alost 3-4 kms from the actual location. The auto fare from leela stop to the actual location was only 30 bucks but to the new location he charged us 150 bucks. once we reached the hotel we were in a state of panic looking at the hotel entry which was a very long narrowcorridor between to houses and surprisingly it was not the same hotel I booked for. This new hotel is Hotel Grandsea.
I started calling cleartrip customer care regarding change of my hotel. After hours and hours speaking in national roaming charges and escalations, they finally said that they refund my money back but not the same hotel. I had to fight on my own with my family standing alongside of the raod for whole 6 hours of this drama.
The hotel person of shirley accepts all number of hotel booking through online and once the customers arrive they are trasported to new degraded hotel of his choice which you will never know and he sells rooms of shirley to a very higher price since it is in one of the prime locality.

Altogether this is a fraud business run between Hotel guys and the helpless and hopeless Cleartrip people. I would say to all family people planning to visit dont look for a budget hotel look for a relaible hotel.

After all this drama, I went to local tourist police for help and they said that the best option is just to get into the hotel whatever the owner is offering and leave kerala.

This experience reminds me that probably for a life time I would never go back to Kovalam, kerala and book any future tickets through cleartirp.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Shiv_Fun

Travelers are raving about these Kovalam hotels

Ajmer, India
Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are a budget traveller then it is OK to stay here for a night or two. The owner Mr. Sambath is running quiet a business like many people there. Probably the guest who checked out before us left fish in the refrigerator so room was stinking. But they had it cleaned quickly. The owner is well informed and can help you in every way in regards with travel, timimgs and locations. I do appreciate his professionalism. The location wasn't an issue as it is just one block away from the beach. Won't call my experience very great but wasn't bad either.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Naveen492
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I wanted some budget but clean hotel near beach.Booked from booking.com.Hotel was nearby lighthouse beach.Spacious room and bathroom.But the toilet was with broken hand shower for commode as well as for bathing.Three beds were there.1 towel is given for 1 couple.Blankets were also not good.Though there was a big balcony.There was uncleaned ,full of fungus ,not working refrigerator was there.Seen a cockroach too.

Room Tip: Never choose this hotel.