“Quiet, clean, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thushara Hotel

and 1 more site!
Thushara Hotel
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Kovalam
Montreal, Canada
“Quiet, clean, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My fifth month in India brought me to this resort hotel ( read: I have seen a lot of hotels already, not just in India). We came by car from Kanyakumari. Our driver found the pathway to the hotel and two staff members came and collected our luggage and guided us back there.
The entire beach front area is surrounded by these narrow alleyways, think of Venice. They are full of shops, restaurants and bonus, right beside Thushara, a great tailor (Achu) who made me a very nice kurta in a few hours. These alleyways are well sign posted, but be aware of your surroundings and when you come out on to the beautiful beach, give yourself a landmark so that you can find your way back! E.g. the Palm Beach restaurant. Also, have a torch ( flashlight)
Thushara. like all the hotels there, is in a densely built up resort area, but the prices are reasonable, the people are friendly and helpful and the rooms are very clean and spacious. There are rooms facing the pool, all have balconies and it was super quiet. The bathrooms were extra clean, big and very pretty. We were in a building on the third floor with no lift ( elevator). I am not sure if there is one in the main building, but there were ground level rooms as well. I think if you have mobility issues, you need to be aware of this. There are no beach view rooms but the beach is 30 seconds down the alley and why pay for the view when you will be sitting on the beach all day anyway? The dining area is located just behind the pool and it was very pleasant, the food was very basic but fine. I think some of the reviewers here are imposing North American or European standards on Indian hotels, forgetting what they are actually paying in India and expecting unrealistic splendour for pennies. I would stay there again.The only thing that bothered my friend was the timings of the pool, she wanted to swim earlier, I am sure, given the reasonable nature of the people running the place that something could be arranged. Finally re wifi, you go sit in the reception area, they turn on a fan for you and they give you a password and it's free and it works. I have stayed at more expensive hotels where wifi is extra, so free working wifi, even if it is not in your room, is GREAT! Thank you. Rosie on the move

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the ground floor ans some face the pool, so you need to be aware of what you prefe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rosie_on_the_move60
thusharakovalam, Owner at Thushara Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Hello,
Thanks for your nice word about Hotel Thushara and Kovalam
Aheendrababu
owner

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Asia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Well located in a quiet enclave behind Lighthouse Beach - coming from the main taxi stand/car park, take the alleyway just by the Palm Beach restaurant - it is well signposted. Yes, its a narrow alleyway, but the whole of Kovalam is narrow alleyways - and no, no sea view.

As 2 long-term travellers the hotel had all we needed for 2 weeks' R&R - comfortable beds, hot water, TV with several English language channels, fridge, wi-fi and pool (in theory wi-fi only in reception, but we could get it in pur room). Friendly staff. Yes the price was a little high for an Indian hotel, but Kovalam is not cheap and all Kovalam hotels bump their prices for Xmas & New Year - it was cheaper than other hotels with a pool.

The only thing that stops me giving it 5 stars is that the decor is a bit shabby, and the room could have done with a spring clean (eg things like light switches) - but facilities-wise it was great. It just depends what your priorities are.

Room Tip: Room 304 (non A/C) is next to reception and picks up the wi-fi
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KateJS
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We arrived at Kovalam on 31st December,2013. As expected, we were in the mood for party to usher in the new year. However, the first sight of the hotel took way all the spirits in a moment!! Firstly, it is very hard to find this hotel. We had to search a lot.
Secondly, the entrance to the hotel is very narrow! There are 2 entrances & both are narrow bu the one we came through was extremely dirty! They had apparently cleaned the swimming pool and discharged the water on the entrance alley. A foul smell was coming and after such a long journey, all of us were terribly disappointed.
The restaurant is good but pricey.
The beach is 1 minute away! But you cannot have any glimpse of the beach from the hotel.
I would personally not recommend this hotel to anyone!
After paying such a hefty amount if that is the end product we recieve then it is utterly deplorable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chandigarh, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I went with my family and friends on this new year. We have a 2yrs old baby. While we were in the room the baby made some marks on the sheet with crayons without our notice. When we came back in the evening, I went to collect the keys at the reception. Firstly he harassed me by telling me that you spoiled the sheet. I apologized and told him that I will take care. Before I could leave he said you will be charged for this. I came back with money, gave him 225/- that he asked, which was actually the cost of the sheet. So in a way I bought that spoiled sheet from them, cleaned it with water and gave them back. Thus I think it was a pretty cheap act from the hotel owner who was already charging high tariff due to the peak season. So I surely don't recommend this funny acting budget hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R4robbie1980
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had been there on 8 November with family and friend... The rooms were clean and spacious... The hotel entrance is narrow but very close to the beach..

The manager was courteous. he made us comfortable. he also gave us advise on the where to around kovalam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank milanip2013
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great place to stay... I had been there on November 2013 with family. Its very close to the beach. The rooms were clean. Staff were friendly and room service was good. The hotel entrance is narrow and its not clean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first time in India. and not knowing what to expect I really enjoyed my stay here.

Due to lack of any proper planning this hotel is stuck in amongst several other hotels and buildings and you have to talk down alleys to reach it - although I think this is probably true of most parts of India - these were not always well lit but I never felt unsafe walking them. It is set back from the beach by half a minute - you walk past a series of shops to reach the hotel which is fairly open access. On the other side you walk a bit further to get out to the main road and hike up a hill which we referred to as 'the beast' to reach the main road where we caught all our buses from.

Arrived in the early hours and after a loooooong journey we arrived and checked in - this went really well considering how many of us there were. The front desk were always very friendly and helpful to us.

The room was basic but fairly large. Bed was pretty comfortable and clean. Bathroom was also clean and the toilet, sink and shower were all fine. Water was not always hot and you could be in the shower/sat on the toilet and the electricity would go off - but hey, that's to be expected. There is a mosquito net over the window but I still got bitten to shreds. There was a balcony but we never used it.

Breakfast was nice - toast, omlettes and some jam/marmeladey conserve. It was very slow but there was usually only one person and one toaster at a time. I used the pool a few times and it was very nice - not sure how clean it was but I was careful.

Overall a good value for money hotel in an excellent location - provided an excellent base for us. Not sure who goes to this part of India to sit in their hotel anyway! If I were to ever visit again I would stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends