“A great stay”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Kovalam
Asia
“A great stay”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Well located in a quiet enclave behind Lighthouse Beach - coming from the main taxi stand/car park, take the alleyway just by the Palm Beach restaurant - it is well signposted. Yes, its a narrow alleyway, but the whole of Kovalam is narrow alleyways - and no, no sea view.

As 2 long-term travellers the hotel had all we needed for 2 weeks' R&R - comfortable beds, hot water, TV with several English language channels, fridge, wi-fi and pool (in theory wi-fi only in reception, but we could get it in pur room). Friendly staff. Yes the price was a little high for an Indian hotel, but Kovalam is not cheap and all Kovalam hotels bump their prices for Xmas & New Year - it was cheaper than other hotels with a pool.

The only thing that stops me giving it 5 stars is that the decor is a bit shabby, and the room could have done with a spring clean (eg things like light switches) - but facilities-wise it was great. It just depends what your priorities are.

Room Tip: Room 304 (non A/C) is next to reception and picks up the wi-fi
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KateJS

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We arrived at Kovalam on 31st December,2013. As expected, we were in the mood for party to usher in the new year. However, the first sight of the hotel took way all the spirits in a moment!! Firstly, it is very hard to find this hotel. We had to search a lot.
Secondly, the entrance to the hotel is very narrow! There are 2 entrances & both are narrow bu the one we came through was extremely dirty! They had apparently cleaned the swimming pool and discharged the water on the entrance alley. A foul smell was coming and after such a long journey, all of us were terribly disappointed.
The restaurant is good but pricey.
The beach is 1 minute away! But you cannot have any glimpse of the beach from the hotel.
I would personally not recommend this hotel to anyone!
After paying such a hefty amount if that is the end product we recieve then it is utterly deplorable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chandigarh, India
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I went with my family and friends on this new year. We have a 2yrs old baby. While we were in the room the baby made some marks on the sheet with crayons without our notice. When we came back in the evening, I went to collect the keys at the reception. Firstly he harassed me by telling me that you spoiled the sheet. I apologized and told him that I will take care. Before I could leave he said you will be charged for this. I came back with money, gave him 225/- that he asked, which was actually the cost of the sheet. So in a way I bought that spoiled sheet from them, cleaned it with water and gave them back. Thus I think it was a pretty cheap act from the hotel owner who was already charging high tariff due to the peak season. So I surely don't recommend this funny acting budget hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R4robbie1980
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had been there on 8 November with family and friend... The rooms were clean and spacious... The hotel entrance is narrow but very close to the beach..

The manager was courteous. he made us comfortable. he also gave us advise on the where to around kovalam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank milanip2013
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great place to stay... I had been there on November 2013 with family. Its very close to the beach. The rooms were clean. Staff were friendly and room service was good. The hotel entrance is narrow and its not clean.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
england
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first time in India. and not knowing what to expect I really enjoyed my stay here.

Due to lack of any proper planning this hotel is stuck in amongst several other hotels and buildings and you have to talk down alleys to reach it - although I think this is probably true of most parts of India - these were not always well lit but I never felt unsafe walking them. It is set back from the beach by half a minute - you walk past a series of shops to reach the hotel which is fairly open access. On the other side you walk a bit further to get out to the main road and hike up a hill which we referred to as 'the beast' to reach the main road where we caught all our buses from.

Arrived in the early hours and after a loooooong journey we arrived and checked in - this went really well considering how many of us there were. The front desk were always very friendly and helpful to us.

The room was basic but fairly large. Bed was pretty comfortable and clean. Bathroom was also clean and the toilet, sink and shower were all fine. Water was not always hot and you could be in the shower/sat on the toilet and the electricity would go off - but hey, that's to be expected. There is a mosquito net over the window but I still got bitten to shreds. There was a balcony but we never used it.

Breakfast was nice - toast, omlettes and some jam/marmeladey conserve. It was very slow but there was usually only one person and one toaster at a time. I used the pool a few times and it was very nice - not sure how clean it was but I was careful.

Overall a good value for money hotel in an excellent location - provided an excellent base for us. Not sure who goes to this part of India to sit in their hotel anyway! If I were to ever visit again I would stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank redlime
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great Location, a bit inside to approach from the road as only way to reach to hotel is to walk through really narrow lanes or through the beach and again taking narrow lanes however, once inside the hotel, Beach is barely 100 meters walk from the Hotel. For the tariff, Hotel is really good for the size of room, the swimming pool and customer service. Down side is the Restaurant however, the location has got plenty of option outside at reasonable price. ITs a great place and real good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple