Great Wall at Huangya Pass (Huangyaguan Changcheng)
Book In Advance
More Info
$48.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Hiking Day Tour at Huangyaguan Great Wall and Qing Tombs
Ranked #6 of 421 things to do in Tianjin
More attraction details
Owner description: Less known to foreigners, another section of the Great Wall also has a Museum, the Beiji Temple, and Bagua City with the Bagua Labyrinth.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

It´s fantastic to be in the Great Wall, one of the best places in the world! I can´t describe the feelings!

3  Thank Cristiane T
"china"
in 16 reviews
"steepness"

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I've visited this section of the wall quite a few times--I love it. I always take visiting friends and family members to this one and they love it too. Beijing sections are incredibly touristy and crowded, as are the ones in Shanhaiguan/Qinhuangdao. I've never seen crowds here (save for the marathon in May). There are portions of this wall that I would consider "treacherous" with incredibly steep inclines and declines and footholds rather than actual steps. Some of the steps are as high as my knee, so make sure to bring some good shoes and be ready to do some serious climbing. The length is perfect to do in an afternoon or morning, but go on a day when it is not raining as some of the steps feel slippery. Even on a hazy/misty/foggy/smoggy day the views are truly remarkable.

The bathroom facilities are not the best and you will need to bring your own tissue paper. I have been here with my parents, with my children (ages 4, almost 3, and 15 mo), and with friends. When we had our kids with us, we only did about half of the section and then turned around and took the golf cart back down (took us about an hour to hike halfway and back with 3 kids and lots of picture/rest breaks sprinkled throughout). It definitely is not stroller friendly, so I had my youngest in a backpack and while it was difficult, it was doable. My older 2 were really good about climbing the wall and thought it was a great adventure.

Warning: The monks in the temple at the end will solicit you for exorbitant amounts of money if you visit--stand your ground if you don't want to "donate" money, they can be very persuasive. Also, the restaurants near the parking lot and on the road to the parking lot are EXTREMELY overpriced for food that is authentic, but not very good.

9  Thank TheFamFive
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Seeing really is believing and you can't go to China without seeing this. It is absolutely breathtaking and it really will make you marvel at the engineering. How they did it is totally beyond me. When we visited the sun was out and we could see for miles . It was like being on top of the world, a view I will never forget for as long as I live.
Pretty strenuous climb and even more strenuous descent but SO worth it

2  Thank Mandste
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I been many times in Badalin Great wall in Beijing but every time it seems more turistic to me, you can even find Starbucks.After visiting the Great wall of Tianjin i think that if you can and have how to go its really worth it. It is more real and less turistic, since its not very near from Beijing.

4  Thank Copito10
See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This section of the Great Wall features an adjacent walled settlement which has been well preserved. The Great Wall itself comprises three opportunities for walking. To the left, there is an upward climb along a broad wall that is much like seen in photos. To the right, there is a bridged section across a small river. Beyond that, a steep climb up rugged rocks awaits. Each is worth experiencing. We were glad we came here, in contrast to stories we heard about exceptionally crowded venues nearer to Beijing. The Wall likely is on everyone's bucket list.

One downside: at the "truck stops" along the way towards the site, the restrooms were truly appalling. I was told the floor of the women's was covered with menstrual discharge and fecal material; the men's, with the "squatty potties" separate from the urinals, was better, although the wetness and extreme overwhelming odor of urine suggested that not every man was careful with their aim. The astoundingly filthy toilets seem to be a cultural problem. And a turn-off to tourists with different expectations. Choose your shoes accordingly!

14  Thank AthensBulldawg