“Good location, Ok hotel”

Clarion Hotel Tianjin
Ranked #20 of 1,342 Hotels in Tianjin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days, front desk staff friendly & helpful during check out and during our stay. Rooms are small and dirty, the dust and dirt on the carpet under the desk and around the room was quite gross. We called for them to vacuum and they did. The entire hotel needs new carpet, tons of stains through out make it feel dirty, stinky and old. The cleaning staff were annoying at times when they would ring door bell repeatedly when the " do not disturb" sign was on the door only to ask if we had dirty laundry for them. Elevators need repair- they dont have sensors and close on you when you go to walk in. The location is great, right next to street with several restaurants, pubs, Starbucks, subway and shopping malls close by. Breakfast in morning was mediocre, the food never changed. We attempted to get ice cream at the restauaunt once but after waiting 35 minutes and the waiter disappearing, we left.

We wouldn't stay here again, other then location, there are better options.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thanks for staying at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! We’re sorry to see that you had a challenged stay here. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We will work more on staff training. The hotel is greatly located , with easy transportation, and we hope it benefited you. Looking forward to your next arrival!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Tianjin

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Tianjin, Downtown Hotel for only 4 nights.
While waiting for my executive apartment to be made ready (see another of my reviews)
My check in was excellent. I was met in the hotel lobby and escorted to my room, where I was checked in with a hot green tea.
All the staff I met in the hotel, new my name and were extremely pleasant and polite.
The buffet restaurant was not good, the food selection was average, services(even though polite) was very slow.
The club lounge was small and have a selection of food and beverage to match. However, the quality was very good.
It was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! Your comments are greatly appreciated. We’re trying to improve ourselves. Looking forward to your next arrival!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed there on a recent business trip. Hassle free check in/out. Staff are friendly. Given a room on the high floor. Room needs a revamp but still comfortable. WIFI and lan connection is fast and stable as I require this every night to work in room. I had my meals a few times at the cafe and I find that the food is very salty.
Location is good. Cinema, fast food chain, restaurants and shopping centres are conveniently located around the hotel. Take a walk up the Haihe river which is near to hotel, you will come across the different types of architectures, bridges, river fishing and Tianjin Eye.
Overall it's a good stay but the only thing I find irritating is that the toilet bowl give a loud "tud" when you flush it and the noise from the water running tab is a bit noisy. You can hear this clearly in the middle of the night when your neighbour next door comes back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. We’re pleased to see that you liked your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your next arrival!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The location of the hotel was great but the service I found at the reception on 9 Apr 2013 was at best average. Although the staff was sufficiently polite and after some time managed to locate my reservation for one night, it appears the front desk lacks sufficient staffing, as there was a queue of individual travelers all looking fairly inpatient to have to wait more than 15 minutes simply to check in. To make matters worse there were apparently no queue line markers if indeed the intention was to have guests queuing to check in.
To make it easier for the staff doing the check in, I decided not to burden her to check for my loyalty card number for the hotel (which I joined due to the excellent service I received in Renaissance Beijing) as I had forgotten to mention the card number during my reservation. I have experienced better service at other Renaissance Hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We will enforce the staff training to let guests experience better service. Looking forward to your next arrival!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stay here for one night for business and the location was great and service was good. Arrived at hotel early and was upgraded to a suite.

The good:
- Loation is great with everything within walking distance
- THe suit was large with living room and bed room
- Safe in room

The not so good:
- The hotel is on the older side but still good.

I will come back to the hotel because of the location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! We really appreciate your likeness of our location and rooms. Looking forward to your next arrival.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had the most pleasant stay ath the club floor, where the rooms are tidy and well kept. The lounge service (on 38th floor) includes breakfast, coctails, light dinner and above all pleasant and well serving staff. Club rooms are comfortable and quiet.

Only thing that was not too pleasant was the airconditioning. The heating unit in the room was only be able to blow heat into the room. The cool-setting did not work, due to winter time. I also had to keep the window open to keep the room to manageable temperature.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Tianjin, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. We’re glad that you liked the club floor and the lounge service. We’re sorry about the air-conditioner which has been improved. Looking forward to your next arrival!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is the second time I stay at this hotel, and I thought I would write a review as my experience here changed this second time round. The main difference, I think, is that I stayed in a high-floor Club room, which meant less noise, and it seemed like the room was in better shape than the standard rooms I stayed in last time. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:

- Club rooms were comfortable and quieter than rooms on lower floors. If you are visiting this part of Tianjin bear in mind that the honking and clattering starts early, so higher rooms are quieter. Also bear in mind that there is a big construction site open near the hotel as of January 2013, and work goes on overnight. It’s hard to hear noise from the upper floors though.
- Beds were very comfortable, up to normal Marriott standard.
- Service was very good and very friendly, and standards of English were always good. I do not agree with some reviewers who don’t care about language standards – if you market yourself as an international hotel chain, you better have language-trained staff. This hotel does, which is great.
- Service in the Club room was very friendly and accommodating; breakfast service was also good; and check-in and check-out was friendly and super-fast. I even received a call the evening before I checked out to ask if everything had been OK with my stay, which was a good touch and made me feel welcome and looked-after.
- Breakfast was tasty and had a good range of Chinese and Western options. The coffee was nothing to write home about, however.
- Good location for taxis, subway (just in front of hotel), dining street (expensive), fast food (not so expensive) in underground area in subway station area in front of the hotel, Starbucks and Subway next to hotel, bog-standard shopping mall next to hotel too if you want to pick up some shopping.

CONS:

- The heating unit in the room seemed to only be able to blast heat into the room. The ‘cool’ setting did not work, in fact the air was even hotter when I set the unit to ‘cool’ than when I set it to ‘heat’. I had to keep the window open to keep the room to manageable temperature (bear in mind that it was -5C outside when I visited, which tells you how hot the room was if I had to keep the window open!).
- The gym, which is old and worn and like something out of the 1980s. In need of refurbishment.
- The sauna, which was disgusting. The lights did not work, the heat was minimal, there was a bad smell inside, and plastic cups were strewn all over the floor and benches.
- The steam room. As with the sauna, it had a bad smell, little heat and little steam, and it did not look particularly hygienic or like it was cleaned very often.

Room Tip: Select high floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! We greatly appreciate your comments and your likeness of our service and location, but we’re sorry for the air-conditioner and a little challenging facility. Looking forward to your next arrival!