“Great hotel but with many issues that still need to be sorted out” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel

The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 1,316 Hotels in Tianjin
Beijing
“Great hotel but with many issues that still need to be sorted out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the historical wing and overall, it was a good stay in a fantastic hotel immersed in history. But there are still some issues which got me pretty upset.

Firstly, I was not informed that one of the rooms on my floor is a 24/7 buddhist shrine. Apparently, it was used by the Panchen Lama before and the management had converted the hotel into a shrine. Imagine the fright that I got when returning to my room at 2 in the morning and hearing buddhist music coming out of this room.

Secondly, the swimming "pool" is not exactly a pool. There are 2 lap pools, each measuring about 10m by 1.5m and 1.2m deep. I got from one end to the other in a stroke.

Thirdly, there's a "trapdoor" large enough for me to enter, in my closet. When I pushed it open, it is actually the entrance to a room where there are many water pipes. I never entered the room coz it was dark, but I suspect that my next door neigbor could have entered my room via this "trapdoor".

The last issue is what irks me most, and it should not be happening to an SPG hotel. It's the lack of communication between the housekeeping dept and the front desk. I had forgotten to pack my bag of laundry when I checked out, and upon realizing it after I had returned to Beijing at 8pm, I called the hotel and after checking with the housekeepers, they had the cheek to tell me that the housekeeper found it while cleaning the room after I had left. Between my check-out at 11am till 8pm, no one at the hotel called me about this. What makes it worst was that I did not leave Tianjin immediately after checking out. I had infact placed my luggage with the conceirge and the front desk knew that I would be back at 6pm to pick up my stuffs. So why didn't anyone at the hotel call me within the 7hours, or tell me when I returned at 6pm? I am scratching my head.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear HollanVBoy,

Greetings from The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin.

We noticed your recent feedback via Tripadvisor and would like to thank you for letting us know your experiences with our hotel service and facilities even it was not all positive.

Please be so kind and accept my apology that you had to experience our lack of attention regarding the information of your lost item. Our official hotel policy does not allow our associates to call guest after leaving our hotel regarding lost items due to privacy issues. We only can inform our guest after receiving the guest call if we have found the lost item and of course would courier those to you. We for sure failed to inform you when you picked up your luggage in the evening for which I am very sorry for.

Regarding the maintenance door inside your wardrobe please be so kind and allow me to inform you that this door does not connect to any other guest rooms. The door allows our engineering team to access our hotel water pipe system for maintenance purposes. After having received your feedback I verified the door in person and noticed that the lock we have in place to stop guest opening this maintenance door had failed which we have repaired by now. Please be so kind and excuse us as well for this failure.

We have also received your notes from our Starwood Guest Service center which I will reply in an separate email to you.

Dear HollanVBoy, I would be delighted if you could let me know via christian.metzner@luxurycollection.com if your travel plans will bring you back to Tianjin and I will ensure you are looked after.

I hope we can welcome you in the not too distant future back at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

Warmest Regards,

Christian Metzner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

A historic hotel with a very homely feel and very well located for the Beijing train, meetings etc. Beautiful public areas dating back to 1863. An amazing 20ft mosaic behind the reception desk is the first sign of the opulence to come. The bar is classic old style and u can imagine the traders drinking gin over jazz last century. Service was great throughout, and the barman in O'Hara's seemed to be the locals favorite. Rooms were superb (I had a grand deluxe river view) which was large, cozy and had an over sized bathroom, walk in shower and a TV at the end of the bath! Will definitely make this my hotel of choice in Tianjin. Windows open for fresh air which is also a bonus.

Room Tip: River view worth the extra effort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear StuckinBangers,

Greeting from The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin!
Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and share your excellent experience with us.
Life us a collection of experience, we are so glade that hotel enviroment, bar service and room comfort you a lot. Hotel and the team will continue on keeping Luxury Collection brand high end service standard to find all guest the perfect stay experience.
We hope can welcome you at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel in a short future.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was supposedly close to the harbour where we were embarking onto an Asia cruise.
The hotel is in a very quiet & boring neighborhood.
Not the "China" as you expect & know from other places where life is buzzing 24/7.
The hotel itself was ok. The room was good with a very spacious bathroom. Unfortunately our view was not great. When we looked out of the window we looked at a wall, but I am sure they have much better views.
At the hotel they hardly speak English. All is very Chinese.

We ate at the hotel and had the buffet. Again the waiters all do not speak English. They are also not too friendly - not really welcoming. The food was ok. Everything was only lukewarm or cold.

When booking this hotel we were told it was 20 minutes from the harbour. It actually was 1 1/2 hours away from the harbour and cost 200 Yuan for the taxi. So keep that in mind if you are going on a cruise.

The hotel was good, but would I stay here again if I were back in this city? I don't think I would - even though the hotel rate was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with some sort of view so that you don't have a dark room with a view of a wall.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank seekAdventures
Dear seeAdvantures,

Greeting from The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin!
Please allow us to thank you for your stay at our hotel and share your experience with us even it was not all positive.
Firstly please be so kind and accept our sincere appology for restaurant service and wrong transport information you got. Hotel reemphases on keeping English training, restaurant service and hotel-city information with all associates to make sure all international guest are well served.
We really hope you can let us know if you have next travel plan to Tianjin so we can have a chance to serve you with Luxury Collection high standard service.
If there is anything we can be assistant of you, please so kind and send email to me christian.metzner@luxurycollection.com.
We hope we can welcome you at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin in a short furture.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

First of all the place is somehow exciting. A lot of powerful people stayed in the hotel so that it contains now a museum as well. Worth to visit.
The overall service is very good and the rooms are very spaceous so everybody can find his silent place in this rooms.
After the renovation it seems that the vicorian style interior can also provide a modern atmosphere. From here a lot of scenic walks can be done along the Hai River or to the shopping streets in Heping Lu and Binjian Dao.

Room Tip: Rooms to the Hai River have a nice view to the city specially at night when all buildings are illumi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Letzebuerger
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at The astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin, and share your exellent experience with us.

We are very gald to know you have a nice stay at our hotel. Hotel has 150 years old history and hotel museum are verifying the development step of hotel and even Tianjin. While the Victorian rooms and Haihe view rooms are modern luxury feature after being renovated in 2009. Thank you very much for your praise and encouragement. We will keep puting effort on improvement to make Astor Luxury Collection Hotel as a destination of indigenous local culture and exceptional International 5 star personalized service.

Copenhagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I studied in Tianjin for 7 years and returned for business trip this June.

Astor Tianjin is famed in TJ for its nostalgic architecture.

CI/CO:very smooth and staffs are very helpful

Room: very big and shower room fabulous

Location: near train station, but far away from airport

AIA, recommended for business trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sinbac
Dear Sinbac,

Greeting from The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin!

Thank you very much for your stay at The astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin, and share your experience with us.

It's glade to know you have a nice stay with us during your business trip back to Tianjin and thanks again for your recomendation. Our hotel and team will continue to keep Luxury Collection high end standard service for finding every valued guest an excelent stay with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

A truly fantastic hotel with very good service. Afternoon coffee and cake in the tea room is a must for anyone not only staying in the hotel but also in the area. Everyone in the hotel was very helpful and pleasant. The hotel and surrounding area is very clean. I will be telling my friends to visit this hotel when in town.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012

We are very gald to know you have a fantistic stay at our hotel with nice afternoon tea and coffe break . Thank you very much for your appreciation and recommendation to your friends. Victoria Lounge's afternoon tea is suite for in house guest relax as well as for short business meeting and friends gathering. We will keep puting effort on improvement to make Astor Luxury Collection Hotel as a destination of indigenous local culture and exceptional International 5 star personalized service.

Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Astor is a really inimitable and historical hotel for china. I had a junior suite which was like apartement size and it was really great furnitured. The staff was nice and helpful. The hotel position is near to Downtown to go for shopping or you can also go for a walk to old town. Definitely I will stay at this hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

We are very gald to know you have a nice stay at our hotel. Thank you very much for your praise and encouragement. The149 years' old history Hotel equiped with Customer-Tailorand brand furnishers deliverying Modern Deluxe comfort experience for every guest in the historical room. We will keep puting effort on improvement to make Astor Luxury Collection Hotel as a destination of indigenous local culture and exceptional International 5 star personalized service.