The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ke Du Hotel(Tianjin)
  • Breakfast included
Jinpai Hotel(Tianjin)
View Hotel
All reviewsnew winghistorical hotelfour poster bedmodern amenitiesthe riverheritage roomrich historypresident hooverold gloryoriginal lobbybasement museumfresh squeezed juicegreat place to explorevictoria parkon displayfront officemassive bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2012

If this is your first time to Tianjin, there is no other choice to get to know the city than by staying the the Astor Hotel. A walk through the lobby to your room is a voyage through Tianjin's history, and a visit to the museum downstairs serves as a fitting explanation and commentary to set you in the mood.

Every taxi driver knows the hotel, so it is very easy to get to, with its central, yet not-congested location along the river. Rooms are what you would expect for a Luxury Collection hotel, and staff are amongst the most proficient in English in China. The upkeep of the hotel is true to its top tier classification, with comfortable beds, cleanliness and decor.

The selection of restaurants is commendable, and a drink in O'Hara's is truly a world class experience. The fitness and spa area is wonderfully done, with regular use from residents at the long-stay apartments next door. However if you are looking for a pool for the kids to splash around in, this wouldn't be right.

A romantic trip to Tianjin for history and culture lovers needs to include a night at the Astor Hotel.

Room Tip: Historical wing rooms are much smaller and sparse compared to the modern Hai River wing rooms, but have much more character. If you value a view with spacious modern decor, choose the Hai River Wing. While a bit more expensive, Astor Suites are definitely worth it for the large sitting area, but will lack a second bed for families.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for stay at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin, and share your experience with us. We are so glad to know your enjoying with your stay at our hotel. We will keep on putting effort on maintaining the history heritage and good service. To make sure our valued guests enjoy with their travel and stay in our hotel.

I hope we can welcome you in the not too distant future back at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin.

Best Regards!

Christian Metzner

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Came back for a repeat visit with fond memories from a great 3-night stay a year ago; unfortunately the hotel has aged and services regressed. We requested a suite in the new wing, and was welcomed with lots of (20+ dead and alive) little bugs (several different species) on various surfaces and corners of the suite. Not exactly sure what caused this, but one the front office managers quickly tried to mitigate the bad impression by taking us to the big corner suite and upgrading the fruit platter. There is a lot of space in the corner suite (including a separate office with fax/printer/scanner/copier and a kitchenette room), but after spending some time in the suite, we started to notice all the little details that have not been constructed with quality and also the lack of quality materials with certain key elements. The housekeeping and F&B services were spotty at best, though no complaints about the selection of items at the breakfast buffet. We had issues with the Internet and the scanner in the office, which the IT team did eventually resolve, but it took away hours of time. The museum downstairs was interesting, but the staffs there were not friendly/helpful at all. We moved over to the Westin, then to the Raffles (which is no longer managed by Raffles) on the same trip, but found that the services are even worse at those hotels, and the aging of the properties more accelerated at the Westin. This place is not exactly luxurious, just take a trip down to the swimming pool/fitness area. When in town, one should still pay a visit to this hotel for the historic value, even if not staying here overnight.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rm_1272
Christian M, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Tianjin.

I noticed your recent feedback via Tripadvisor and first I would like to
thank you for letting us know your experiences with our hotel service even it was not positive.

Please be so kind and accept my apology that museum service and your experience with your room was not to a Luxury Collection Hotels normal high service standard.

Please be advised that we have emphasized the mentioned concierge service short comings with our team and have put measures in place to avoid this from happening again in the future.

I would be delighted if you could let me know if your travel plans will bring you back to Tianjin so we can show you that our hotel and team can and will deliver the service you would accept from us and a Luxury Collection hotel. Please contact me directly via christian.metzner@luxurycollection.com and I will ensure you are looked after.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

Best Regards,

Christian Metzner

Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is my first trip in Tinjian and my first night was staying in Astor Hotel, I wish to say every tinjian people proud of having this hotel. Every local people we talked to asked us to stay in this hotel. But very less know it was renovated.

Although the hotel was built over 100 years ago. The in room facilities were no different of new renovated international five stars hotel, and, the most important thing is, the perfect and excellent pre and post stay service.

Before I stay in the hotel, I helped my friend who stayed in Tinjian for study to book one more room, as he did not has his own credit card and we need to check in separately, thus I send an email to the hotel to ask about the arrangement and other matters. After a few email, the hotel end up calling me and explain to me in details!!!

Unfortunately, my friend needed to cancel the booking due to some urgent matters. The hotel was willing to cancel the booking immediately, all the communication process was so polite and understandable!

Talking about the room, the hotel confirmed us to stay in museum wing, my room is just next to the museum actually, can see from the room door has been used for years but the hotel input security door card sensor at the door. Other parts of the hotel keeps its origional decoration and feeling, including the night, layout, and the movable door at the dinning room area. The hotel gave each room two complimentary tickets to visit their museum, its worth to visit and you will know how many presidents and hero had been stayed here before.

I am so impressed in staying in this hotel. I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't miss the museum wing and visit the museum! Worth staying!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank goldenturtle
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Astor has great character and charm, very unique and historic for a big hotel in China. I had a junior suite which was more like an apartment in size and very nicely furnished. Staff were very nice and knowledgable and the downtown location was convenient for shopping or walking around the old section of the city. I will definitely stay here again when I return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rs88
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed in the Astor this last week for 3 nights. It is a lovely hotel with great rooms. Seems like good value to me as I paid about $135 for a big double room with a king size bed and fantastic bathroom. Had a view of the river and the building site which is opposite the hotel on the other side of the river. Staff were very efficient and pleasant, including predicting your needs- as I stood around in the lobby on checkout one of the staff asked me if I was the guy from room... who had a car booked for airport transfer as it was about to pull up in front of the hotel A nice new BMW as it turned out. Also, the pickup from the airport on arriving in Tianjin worked well. Breakfast was fine and there were nice little touches like an espresso machine in my room, so a chance to make a half reasonable cup of coffee - not something necessarily easy to find in Tianjin. Tried the room service which was quick and reasonably priced. We also spent some time in O'Hara's bar - where drinks were not exactly cheap, but it was a nice place to spend a few hours listening to the (quite good) pianist.

Room Tip: Facing the river is pleasant though these rooms are in the newer section of the hotel. Rooms in the historical part might be more quaint
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank iad11
The_Astor_Hotel, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback concerning your experience in our hotel. We are glad that you're satisfied with our service. After the renovation in 2010, we are managed by Starwood Hotels, and is a Luxury Collection brand. Indigenous and exceptional experience is what we serve to the guests. Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Warmest regards,
Leon J. Lee

Life is a collection of experiences. Let us be your guide.