“Very good place for expats...”

Somerset International Building Tianjin
Ranked #13 of 1,325 Hotels in Tianjin
Hong Kong, China
“Very good place for expats...”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I live here for more than 2 years. It is a great place for business expats of short/medium term, single or couple... for families with small kids Somerset has other facilities around and more adapted for kids. This is an executive service apartment, calm, clean and safe... western style furniture... good ambience.
The location is perfect, right at downtown close to everything you need. The staff really makes your life easy and let you focus on your job. Ok... not all speak english but, after all, you are in China... great opportunity to learn Chinese ;-)
On top floor (36th), there are a new gym, a new restaurant (for breakfast only) and, a new nice living room... great view of the city of Tianjin while you do your workout.
The apartments are well equipped. You find all basic things you need. If you don't find, ask them because they may surprise you. It seems they will also remodel the old apartments. the new ones are really beautiful...wow...some Ascott's apartments don't have this level!!!
Of course, there are some cons: the TV system and internet are not so good but they are trying their best to improve the situation. Missing a swimming pool here but you can use a good one at Somerset Olympic.
I do recommend Somerset International... you will feel at home!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset International Building Tianjin, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear ZeZuKa,
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us so far and in particular the newly renovated club floor on 36th level.
With regards to your feedback on the TV reception and internet, we will look into the problem immediately. We sincerely apologise for any inconveniences caused.
Sincerely thank you for choosing Somerset International Building Tianjin and we hope you will continue to enjoy your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed in this apartment during my Xmas vacation in Tianjin. Overall there isn't much to see and nothing much to see in this city. Fortunately the staff and this hotel made my trip worthwhile. The staff are warm and welcoming, always greet us with smiles. The receptionist even offered us 3M masks on a day with very bad air pollution without us asking. What a service!!! They are so attentive. The apartment is decently furnished, clean and fully equipped with fantastic view.

Salute to the management and staff of Somerset International Tianjin.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Rudy,
Thank you for choosing Somerset and your valued patronage. We are happy you have enjoyed your stay. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed in this apartment twice this month for my business trip to Tianjin. The moment I stepped into the hotel, I was greeted with smiles and welcome. The guest service staff is friendly and courteous. In fact I was rather surprised with the level of English the staff holds as compared to other hotels I've stayed in China. As I arrived earlier than the allowed check in time, my room was not ready but I had to place my luggage in the room and to rush to meet my business associates. Upon arriving the room, although I was not supposed to be there, the cleaner was so apologetic that the room was not ready and kept apologising to me. She even radioed her colleague to ask for help to make up my room as she told over the walkie talkie that "The guest has arrived and cannot let guest wait" -- Excellent Service!

Both the rooms I stayed in are suites and had great view of the city, in particular at night. I was told that the rooms are all located on high floors, above 20 something so I guess whatever room you are allocated, you will enjoy the view. The heating is great and I did not feel like winter even though the temperature is minus 3 outside.

This hotel is located along nanjing lu, the CBD and shopping area. I will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any friends who are visiting Tianjin.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi 70Chow,
We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 17, 2013

i was spending my holiday in Tianjin last week and decided to try Somerset.
i was very impressed by the service provided by the hotel staff,
from the moment i arrived, the bell boy was very polite and was always smiling when helping my luggages.
and the front desk staff were also very polite and efficient to check me in.

during my stay, i was very pleased with the cleanliness of the housekeeping.
my overall stay experience was very good. and i am very happy to choose somerset.
i shall try out other somerset hotels for my next holidays.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Daniel-Wee, General Manager at Somerset International Building Tianjin, responded to this review, December 23, 2014
Dear Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again soon. Lastly, thank you for the compliments given to our Security, Front Office and Housekeeping teams. We will continue to work hard and strive to do better. Thank you.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I would like to say that this is one of the best places that my wife and I have stayed in since I have we have been in China and believe me we have traveled all over China . The room or should i say apartment is excellent value for money at $89 a night with every possible amenity close at hand. As for the the the staff they are very helpful and make you feel at home but lack a good level of English. The Building is located quite central with Starbucks just next door I would recommend this hotel for its value for money, great service and location

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren B
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset International Building Tianjin, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hi Darren,Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay experience and also for your valued patroange.

It was a great pleasure having you here.

From all of us at Somerset International Building Tianjin, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I have stayed there twice this year. Convenient location with cozy and clean apartments. Staff there are very friendly and helpful, from Front Office, House Keeping to Breakfast Club Lounge, everyone greets guests with a hearty smile. Delicious continental breakfast is served at Club Lounge, Ms Ginger Liu impressed us with her warm hospitality.

We have tried many 5-star-hotels in Tianjin in the past 10 years, Somerset Int'l Tianjin is most excellent property and we will definitely go there again for our future visits in Tianjin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hi Maddy

It was a great pleasure having you stay at Somerset International Building Tianjin.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

Maddy, thank you for your valued patronage.

Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just stayed one night. Nice room. Location hard to say it was good. Very few places to eat, the area is dull and not much life. Maybe that's just Tianjin.
Would not stay this hotel again. Maybe Hotel Nikko would have been more suitable as its near to malls etc

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ColinX100
Hi Colin, we are happy that you enjoyed the room in our property but sorry to hear your disappointment about the location being not lively enough. For the eateries, it is our regret that we were not given the opportunity to inform you. There are quite a number of eateries behind the property, which are all situated in the 5th Avenue (one of Tianjin's tourist attractions) and also some in the mall at Xiao Bai Lou, which is approximately 5 minutes walk away. However, we appreciate your patroange and sincerely hope to see you again. Thank you,