“Second tier Westin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Tianjin

You added The Westin Tianjin to your Saves list
The Westin Tianjin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.101 Nanjing Road, Heping District, Tianjin 300040, China (Binjiang Road)   |
Name/address in local language
Ranked #11 of 1,112 Hotels in Tianjin
New Zealand
“Second tier Westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Nice lobby typical of Westin style. Had a club access room, but to be fair the club is pretty small. Gym standard, not overly large but with what you require. Rooms good size but noticed had some obvious repairs. Breakfast sufficient but nothing like a large Westin. Limited super foods range. Prego Italian was good but staff level of English was very average.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Greetings,Natt28

Thank you for your valuable comments, as I appreciate your honest feedback.

I have shared your thoughts with my team, please be assured that we are following up on all your points.

We do facilitate English training classes for our team, though it is definitely a long term project for us; As well the Super-foods program has been reviewed to ensure we are consistent with our sister hotels

Thank you and look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Ugur Lee Kanbur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have tried to solve this issue on two separate occasions with the front service management but neither time was this issue corrected so I offer this warning to all westerns. Two different times I have taken a taxi to the airport and both times it was around 40RMB. As soon as the taxi pulls up to the terminal they hit a button and the meter goes from the actual amount to 90RMB. Each time they say it's a new airport tax. I took a picture of the car tag for the taxi and when I came back I shared with the desk manager and he took down the tag number and said they would take care of it. The next day I saw the same cab driver out front of the hotel waiting for the next unsuspecting fare. As I stood there a English woman needed a cab the the same taxi driver that took me to the airport drove up and the lady began to get in the car and I stopped her and told her the story. The Westin employee out front tried to tell her it was ok to get in the cab but luckily she said no and took another taxi.

The next day I saw the same cab driver again out front of the hotel. I went back into the hotel to tell a different manager my story and they told me they would take care of the issue. I stayed at the hotel 6 more days and saw the same cab driver every morning. So beware.

Either the hotel does not care or the proper people do not know. Either way, let this serve as your warning.

On a good note, the employees for the most part are nice and seem to care, but the chinese are a bit different. They will try to charge you for things that should not be charged for, such as extra bottle water in the evening, the people that fix your air conditioning expect a tip, and when room service is ordered they expect a tip even though there is a service charge that is included.

I have stayed in this hotel about 75 nights this year.

Room Tip: Ask for the quite side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Greetings, jeremiah J

Thank you for corresponding with me via email.

I appreciate your comments in relation to your challenges with the Taxi's outside our hotel, as well as our Hotel team.

I hope you can accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered, I can assure you they have disappointed me also, being a new comer to The Westin Tianjin myself.

We definitely have areas of improvement; I have addressed your points with my relevant leaders.

As mentioned, We have petitioned the local authorities to assist us with the taxis and their conduct and are pursuing follow up from the Tianjin Traffic Bureau and Public Security Bureau.

Looking forward seeing you again in 3 weeks time and meeting you personally.

Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The location is nice, room is well equipped, but the service is sucks! Firstly, I asked for band-aid, the hotel staff told me that they are not free, CNY2.00 each. Though it is not expensive, but so far this is the very first hotel ever charge me for things like that. Secondly, I asked the hotel get a taxi for me to go the airport when I came down for breakfast. The taxi looks exactly the same like the one from the street, but it is not a REAL taxi! Clearly the driver knows the doorman well so that he can get the job like this, go to the airport consider a good deal for local taxis. It costed me more than double to get there compare with the trip I got to the hotel. It's only 20+ km away, and I checked with my local friends they all told me that I was cheated, it costed me more than doubled. I asked for the receipt, the plate number doesn't match the receipt either. Lastly, the hotel staff is not friendly in general. For instance, when you wait to be seated for breakfast, no one came to find a table for me so I helped myself. When I go out waited at the main entrance, doorman was just standing there chatting with others, no intention to get a taxi for me, so I helped myself....

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Greetings

Thank you for staying with us and we greatly appreciate your feedback.

Please accept my apologies for the challenges you encountered, though we would like to communicate with you offline to be able to address further, some of the specific details of the experiences you encountered. I can be reached on the following email - westin.tianjin@westin.com

I would like to assure you that we are addressing the challenges you have mentioned with our relevant leaders and have an ongoing program to rectify points you have mentioned.

The Pirate Taxi issue outside the hotel is also a focus for the hotel and local authorities.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
I look forward to seeing you again at The Westin Tianjin and to hearing from you via the email reflected above.

Singapore, null, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The rooms are nice and clean. The gym is reasonably equipped. That is where it stops. This hotel misrepresents their SuperFood items. Firstly the granola came looking so different from the photo. It looks more oats. Then the tofu burger is a recipe for a heart disease. So greasy and deep fried that once you press the tofu it is oozing with oil and so yikey

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Greetings

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback.

Your positive comments have been noted; as well your constructive points are a focus for us here at the Westin Tianjin.

First and foremost, please accept my apologies for the food items that have given you a less than satisfactory impression. Please be assured that your experience is Not our usual standard; I am personally focused on the points you have given and am reviewing the SuperFoods standards in our hotel, with our culinary team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Tianjin.

Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We checked into the westin Tianjin today in a 820 sqft one bedroom Renewal Suite room 1722. The checkin was good, the bellmen were efficient but not very friendly and did not interact witht eh guests. The front desk clerk was excellent. We went to our room which was very nicely appointed with the exception of a few oddities such as the dressing table having no mirror and a very odd access door open to a crawl space which was very dark and damp and looked like it extended deep into the mechanical parts of the building. It was strange this was left open and we double checked the room to make sure no one was in it.

We checked out the club lounge which also require key card access even though the club desk faces the door and is staffed at all times. The lounge feels more like a bank and does not have a very inviting feel. The staff are ok but not warm to guests. They are also not very knowledgeable about the restaurant offering of the hotel, rather they will just send you tot eh restaurant to check it out or have menus sent to you to look at in your room. This is surprising for a "5 star" concierge in the club lounge. The drinks offering in the club is also spartan at best. The lounge feels like a business class lounge at an airport.

The most disconcerting part is the pool area. There are large patches of BLACK mold in the ceiling above the hot tub. When you look up, you can see they have put drapes to cover up the existing black mold but now the mold has extended beyond the cloths and they are HUGE. Green and black patches extend across the rafters and ceiling and you can smell the mildew and mold. This is a very dangerous and deadly issue and the hotel MUST be aware of the problem thought hey are unable or are unwilling to resolve it (I have not yet spoken to anyone about this yet but will after this review). The change rooms are also poorly maintained with still water and towels thrown everywhere and the pool attendant does not clean the lockers, once you have finished using it, he just puts in a new towel and locks it back up, no wiping or sanitizing from all the wet and sweaty clothes from the previous user.

This hotel looks ok from the outside but I give it a very poor rating due to the dangerous mold health hazard as well as the service levels are more to a 3.5 to 4 star hotel NOT 5 star hotel as advertised.

I do not feel I would stay at this hotel again after this trip mainly due to the health issues of BLACK MOLD!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Greetings Mr Fung,

It was a pleasure to chat with you and your wife today, on your departure from our hotel.

Again, Thank you for your feedback in regards to your positive experiences; as well, I appreciate your comments in relation to your challenges with the hotel. We definitely have areas of improvement, which are a focus for me, as the new General Manager of The Westin Tianjin.

I appreciate you accepting my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered. I will be addressing your points with my relevant leaders.

As discussed, please be assured that the rectification works to remove mould and marks on the leaking Pool ceiling, created by the Construction defects, are soon to be underway; as well, there is no health risk and we would not allow such a situation to be apaprent.

Many thanks and looking forward to seeing you again in our hotel on your next trip.

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Westin Tianjin is a wonderful hotel with fantastic front lobby staff. I have stayed at this hotel for over 3 years and have certainly seen changes at this property. Most of the changes have been positive, however as of late, there seems to be a very unsafe and aggressive situation occurring with taxi drivers invading the hotel property. Namely yelling and aggressively soliciting hotel customers both I the lobby and outside (right outside the door of the hotel not in the street). Frankly I'm embarrassed to bring any personnel from my company to this hotel because of what they think my choice of hotel is in Tianjin, The hotel management and SPG should know that this is occurring. I stay at many SPG hotels while on business in China and without exception I have never seen such a disregard to hotel guest safety. The scene resembles similarities to many of the taxi solicitations that take place outside many of the train stations throughout China.
HOTEL MANAGEMENT OR SPG PLEASE FIX THIS URGENTLY BEFORE YOU HAVE AN INCIDENT.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank aldo1964626
TheWestinTianjin101, General Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Greetings

Thank you for staying with us and we greatly appreciate your feedback.

As you may be aware, Westin is all about personal renewal and preserving wellness in travel.

I am glad to hear your experiences have been good and would like to assure you that we are addressing the challenges you have mentioned with the taxi drivers and that this is a personal focus for myself also; as I have just recently joined the hotel and was also astounded to hear about such occurrences.

Local law enforcement are also supporting us to avoid this type of situation in future.

I hope you can accept our apologies for the challenging experience you encountered and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Tianjin soon.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Having been back after the weekend, very impressed by the efficient check in and out! The Front Dest clerk were really good at decribing the benefits of the package.

The choices from breakfast, a mixed of Asian & Western dishes were such a delight to dine. The warm cinnamon bun a must try. Good selection of breads and pastries.

We visited the Fitness Centre and Heavenly Spa on the 5th & 6th floor. Well organized and looks clean. The Heavenly Massage was a divine and should not be missed.

Will definitely be back! There is enough for the family to enjoy.

Room Tip: The executive suite is really nice, luxurious and so nice bed!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
TheWestinTianjin101, Online Distribution Manager at The Westin Tianjin, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing The Westin Tianjin for your stays and your valued comments. It’s our pleasure to look after our guests and make them feel comfortable!

Westin is all about personal renewal and preserving wellness in travel. We hope our guest will leave feeling rested, energized, enriched and renewed. You are exactly right that the buffet close to the lobby is excellent; that is our Seasonal Taste which offers an innovative combination of Asian and international cuisine. Thank you for your preferred recommendation. The Westin Heavenly Spa is a luxurious day spa that fuses modern spa therapy with ancient Chinese traditions. We are so happy that you enjoyed the massage.

Our management team is pleased to hear that you will continue choosing our hotel for leisure. Thank you for your views and highly recommend again. We are expecting for your next visit sincerely!