“Gorgeous with chance of confusion” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tangla Hotel Tianjin

Tangla Hotel Tianjin
Ranked #12 of 1,316 Hotels in Tianjin
San Francisco, California
“Gorgeous with chance of confusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

The most aesthetically beautiful, pristine, elegant atmosphere - both in its common areas and guest rooms. The size of individual room/suites is impressive and its style runs very similarly to the mandarin oriental (which I enjoy). I love everything from the baths (showers, and baths make much of the experience for me) to the bed (wonderful wonderful bed) to dining options on site.

The service is very polite and very eager.

In my (1 week) stay, it left much to be desired.

The front desk was busy with the two parties checking in (myself and one other), While there were 5-6 staffers around, they seemed flustered and very busy. I had arrived at the hotel around 5-6pm but a non-smoking room (what I requested) was not available.

That's quite fine, I'm fairly easy going. (Although I did think it unlikely given the number of guests I saw around - February 2014). When I realized I would have to extend my stay by 4-5 nights, I asked to switch to a non-smoking room as I passed through the front desk that morning.

I was told I'd have to arrange that through my travel agency.

There was no travel agency, I booked online through hotels.com

The reservation was up that day and wouldn't it be very doable if I (say) even just reserved directly at the front desk with them (and a different room?).

No - I'd have to book through the original source I booked from because each guest name is best through the original point of booking.

Ok - More than fine, really. I booked again online.

Arrived back at the front desk (different shift of people I believe) and was told a loooooong list of things...they didn't have the reservation on file, or the original reservation, they didn't get the entire payment from the first reservation.

I pull up the emailed confirmations.

The Front desk checks, they've found it now. They ask if I could call my travel agent.

I don't have a travel agent.

I start wondering if my mandarin needs work.

Front desk discovers they did indeed have the payments as well as the new reservation and give me a new room.

It's still a smoking room.

I give up.

It's actually ok, even though the series of conversations were a little mind boggling, the staff was always (I felt) as accommodating as they saw to be, very polite and well meaning.

I had a number of different acquaintances, family and drivers come get me during that stay. Most of them would be sent up directly to my floor. This I thought was odd given some arrived early and knocked on my door while I was just getting out of the shower. Others were told the guest could not be disturbed and the front desk were not able to call up to my room for them. We've all cell phones so it's no big deal I suppose.

IMPORTANT - The spa and gym are quite nice but a separately run entity, they sell memberships and therefore generates slightly more traffic than you would presume from the guests in residence. However, it is never crowded. Due to it being separate though, they cannot charge your room, the credit the hotel has on file or deduct from the deposit the tangla requires of its guests. My brother (who's local) and I went for a little relaxation one afternoon and while I thoroughly loved the attention and service of the spa it takes A LOT of time. A one hour massage will run you 2+hours due to the prepping of the room the introduction of the services (sounds simple? It's not), the trays of aromas and god knows what else that are brought in one after another and what appeared to be snacks....baked goods. The spa service people ran to follow me back to me room for payment because they're not tied to the hotel.

Again, everyone is very polite.

Location-wise it's lovely and the rooms are absolutely among the best in the world (very very much to my taste).

I'll be back to try again in April with the family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tongtong2014, Director of Sales at Tangla Hotel Tianjin, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear valued guest, thank for choosing Tangla Hotel Tianjin and for sharing your experience with regards to your recent stay, your feedback is very valuable and we pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The team was delighted with your positive evaluation of our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Tangla Hotel Tianjin in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you require any further assistance.

Tangla Hotel Tianjin Management Team

尊敬的宾客,感谢您下榻天津中心唐拉雅秀酒店并分享您在酒店的入住体验。我们十分珍视您的反馈,您入住愉快是我们最大的荣幸。热切期待您的再次光临,如有任何其他需求请随时与我们联系。

天津中心唐拉雅秀酒店管理团队

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stay for 2 days in November. This is a nice hotel with very large room well furnished. To work, this is a perfect hotel in the center of Tianjin. The rooms are remarkable with the accommodation you usually see in the highest categories but the price was affordable. From your room at the 40th floor you have a perfect view of the city through the large window. Even the bathroom had a large window (quite rare). Breakfast is good and well provisioned.
I definitively recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms are nearly identical
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bertrand C
Tongtong2014, Public Relations Manager at Tangla Hotel Tianjin, responded to this review, February 15, 2015

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Second year we went to this hotel, still amazed. Sure the furniture are a bit worn out, but hey, this is China were things decay at a spectacular speed.
The best thing about the hotel is how large the rooms are for such a reasonable price. And taking a bath while looking over Tianjin from the 36th floor is a very pleasant experience.
I found the staff particularly helpful. I needed diapers for the girls, and someone actually accompanied me to the nearest supermarkets until I finally found what I needed.
And of course the location is optimal, at the end of Tianjin's best shopping street.
We had tried the previous years the japanese hotel next door, but the Tangla is just a different class entirely, for almost the same price.

Room Tip: Looks like some rooms have a larger bathroom. But even the smaller ones are very very large.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tongtong2014, Director of Sales at Tangla Hotel Tianjin, responded to this review, February 15, 2015

Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Took a weekend trip to Tianjin to celebrate an anniversary with my significant other, looked at a couple hotels, and settled on the Tangla for it's large rooms on high floors. The hotel had a beautiful lobby, but the reception area was a bit strange, off to the side in a dimly lit room, though it did provide a vip feel, it was still a bit awkward. While checking in, the duty manager Mr. Bai upgraded us to a larger room upon learning that it was our anniversary. Thumbs up. The room was beautiful, super comfy bed and the bathroom was awesome. Everything about the room is quality, from the pillow menu to the Molton Brown toiletries. The stand alone bathtub with a view of downtown Beijing was pretty amazing. One thing about the room that was a bit annoying was the air conditioning is not strong, and they don't turn on the ac in the hallways. The indoor pool was quite nice, the water could be a bit cleaner.

The hotel also has a pretty good seafood buffet, but the way it's advertised is a little bit misleading. There is no all you can eat lobster, or crab, they give you only half a Boston lobster and one tiny crab, for almost 500 rmb per person, you'd expect a bit more. The rest of the seafood that they did provide was pretty good, but the selection was a bit paltry due to our slightly late dinner reservation of 730pm. The quality of the seafood is quite good, the sashimi is cut to order, they give you nice chunky cuts, not the paper thin sloppy slices you get in most buffets. Surprisingly the most memorable seafood from this meal was the Mackerel from the teppanyaki bar, by far the freshest and juiciest I've ever had. The hotel was kind enough to help us celebrate by providing us with a complimentary cake =). The service staff at the restaurant was excellent.

Breakfast buffet... not the best. The selection here was a bit dull, and the guys who were running the egg bar was a bit rude. The place kept running out of plates/glasses/silverware etc.... The yogurt is some low end 2 kuai yogurt from 7-11 and many of the dishes were not hot, the sausage, bacon and grilled tomato was cold. The croissants and pastry selection was pretty good, the juices were okay, but nothing to write home about.

Overall, I would most likely stay at this hotel again, the rooms were beautiful and most of the staff did what they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

Room Tip: If you stay here during the summer, ask for a room that has a strong a/c.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Amazing Rooms and View of downtown Tianjin
Very clean, specially love the smell in the lobby going up to your room.
Very relaxing.
Center of everything you want to do in Tianjin.

Bath room is great, bath overlooking the city.

Would stay here again if ever i am in Tianjin.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Wtfasl
Tangla_Hotel_Tianjin, 经理 at Tangla Hotel Tianjin, responded to this review, December 23, 2015
Dear guest, we are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your valuable feedback.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotels has a wonderful design and the rooms are very spacious. The view from the rooms is also quite spectacular. All in all the design of the hotel is what you would expect from a (former) Raffles hotel.

However the service qaulity is absolutely not up to the standard of the hotel. Hotel staff is not greeting you and the level of english is quite poor (with some exceptions).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest, first of all, please accept our sincere apologies for the unacceptable staff services provided. The level of service you described is obviously not acceptable and re-training will certainly be undertaken and where necessary improvements be made. On the other hand, we would like to thank you for your positive comments for the other departments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Tangla Hotel Tianjin in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel on Nanjing Road is convneniently located to shopping and restaurants and great views to boot. My room on the 47th floor corner has an unimpeded view of the city and far from the traffic noise below. The room is big with a separate seating area and a bathroom that can match the size of guest rooms rooms in other hotels.. It has a free-standing bath with its own TV and separatec ubicles for shower, WC and a walk-in closet, all luxuriously furnished. One can admire the view from the bath through the full height windows without worrying with prying eye from adjacent properties. The bed is really comfortable.
The breakfast buffet has a generous spread to satisfy both western and local tastes. The wait staff are friendly and attentive. The check-in and check-out experience was a notch down as it was less warm. Overall still a good stay although the rates were a bit tiff.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room which has great views from the room and bath.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rywwong
Dear guest,thank you for choosing Tangla Hotel Tianjin. First of all, please accept our sincere apologies for the unacceptable staff services provided at our Front Office and re-training will certainly be undertaken and where necessary improvements be made.
Once again, we apologies for any shortcomings you experienced and we sincerely do hope that these incidents will not negatively impact your views of our Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tangla Hotel Tianjin in the not too distant future.