“No consistency; why so good in some countries and so poor in others?”

Holiday Inn Tianjin Riverside
Ranked #10 of 1,358 Hotels in Tianjin
Reviewed September 21, 2012

There is no Crowne Plaza in central Tianjin and the opening of the new Hotel Indigo is apparently delayed, so I opted for the Holiday Inn, Riverside. This hotel has an enviable position on the banks of the Haihe River, where a stroll in the very clement weather proved an interesting diversion, watching boys catch turtles, whilst others, paid to return them to the river. I was told, in an effort to cleanse their souls, whilst someone chanted a Buddhist creed. The Tianjin Eye is just a short walk from the hotel and worth a visit, if the persistent smog is not in evidence and you don’t suffer from vertigo! A friend, who went on the eye when it was smoggy, said "It was much like the London Eye but in London, there is something to see!"

This Holiday Inn is modern and smart, occupying a glass tower; my room, which was a corner club room, was excellent, a large bright space with an excellent modern bathroom with plenty of room for two. The desk and seating area was super and the Wi-Fi fast and efficient, with no annoying signing-in and no dropped connections. The bed was comfortable and my only question is: why the hideous carpet? However, excellent rooms apart, this is a highly impersonal hotel where almost no one speaks any English, they appeared muddled over everything, my booking was muddled, my check-in was muddled and my check-out was a farce of errors and incompetence. My reception was frosty and the check in process took an age. On leaving, my bill was wrong and I had to fight for a late check-out, despite being entitled to one, as a Platinum card holder and the hotel was virtually empty, so no excuse there.

There is a pleasant Club lounge with an excellent view, some of the staff were helpful and spoke a little English but others were totally useless, unable to provide eggs or even toast efficiently, from a toaster which appeared to be held together with sticky tape. The breakfast is not suitable for foreign visitors, mostly Chinese, with congee (rice porridge) greasy noodles, deep fried batter sticks and dumplings filled with pork and sweet bean paste, not everyone’s choice of breakfast! No sugar free cereal, when I asked for corn flakes I was given Frosties.

The complimentary cocktails, which are provided in all IHG Club Lounges, are always welcome but unfortunately in this one, there was only a little ice, almost melted in the bucket and when I asked for lemon for my Gin & Tonic, I was told that they didn’t have any. In a huge hotel with several restaurants and bars? I find this difficult to believe, in fact there is little doubt that I was being lied to, a trait which is only too evident in modern China.

There are horrible, smelly lavatories, hardly any better than the disgusting public ones but this is in the club lounge of a five star hotel! In the ladies there is a most unpleasant unlined bin with no lid and full to the brim with used sanitary products and soiled loo roll. According to my female companion, this bin remained un-emptied for the whole of our three day stay.

Come on IHG! Get it together, your hotels are amongst the best in the world, don’t let your properties in China let the side down, you need staff training and hospitality management, good cleaning and excellent honest service, or you will undoubtedly, lose your faithful adherents and loyal members.

Room Tip: Club rooms are good with high floor views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
marina n, Manager at Holiday Inn Tianjin Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed and motivating comments.

We appreciate that you mentioned a good location of our hotel and we are glad that you enjoyed the appearance of the hotel and your room.

We are terribly sorry to hear that you felt like our hotel was impersonal and we apologize for the inconveniences due to check-in and check-out problems. We are currently providing English training for our hotel staff, so when you visit our hotel next time we hope you will feel much more welcomed and have no trouble communicating with the staff.

We appreciate your comments considering our F&B service and the lavatories cleanliness. We agree with you, this is definitely not the level of service IHG is proud to offer. The actions will be taken, and the service will be improved.

Once again let me apologize for all the inconveniences you had to face. Thank you for your comments and feedback. They are very important to us.

We hope to see you again in our hotel Holiday Inn Tianjin Riverside.

Marina Netovich
Guest Service Manager
Holiday Inn Tianjin Riverside

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've been in this place many times.
The hotel is totally new, rooms are spacious, bright, with all the amenities you need.
Beds are comfy.
the second floor buffet is OK, not the best thou but good selection of food.
I can reccomend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We needed a stay over on our way to cruise ship and booked this hotel based on the reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. Service is attentive, staff are eager to please. Room is clean, good size, comfortable. Amenitites available in the room is plenty, including slippers, tooth brush, laptop output to TV, UPS power supply, shoe shine, TV speaker inside the bathroom, iPod clock, fresh cut flower, and I don't need to use my universal electrical adaptor.
Oh yes, cab driver took us to the HI Express around the corner, its a good thing I was prepared for this.
Lots of restaurants nearby and very reasonable pricing, although they close early. River walk is quite enjoyable just across from the hotel. Make sure you visit the shopping district near Old Cultural Street, jaw dropping low prices on clothing!
Definitely will be staying here if I visit Tianjin again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank funr
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here on the way to a cruise. Hotel was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was a nice blend of east and west. Good services. The bathroom picture window takes a little getting used to but no problem. We had a hard time getting the cab driver at the train station to understand where we wanted to go, we had it written in chinese but think the driver did not know how to read.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank palrn
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My husband had some business to attend to on Saturday so we arrived the night before & booked two rooms; one for us & one for our daughter.
We arrived quite late, around 9pm and found our room was an executive room, which was like a mini suite with a living area, bedroom area & bathroom. We had two tv's but didn't switch them on, a clock, bathrobes & slippers and an amazing view of the Ferris Wheel and the river , which was fabulous - a real wow! Our daughter's room while not the mini suite that we had, was also very large, she had a very big bathroom with a big bath by a window which looked into the bed area but with blinds for privacy. She said the bed was very comfortable and she slept really well.
We met with colleagues in the lobby bar at 9.30pm and realising the late hour, booked a table in the Japanese restaurant, which obligingly stayed open past its publicised 10pm closing in order that we could eat. We found the food very good and the staff very friendly, despite us being the last people eating. We finished the evening off in the lobby bar where the staff were welcoming and friendly.
The bed was large and very comfortable and we got a good nights' sleep. The downside for us was the shower. The head didn't stay in the 'hook' meaning we had to hold it over the head to get wet, put it on the ledge, turn the water back to bath mode, get soapy, turn the shower head back on & hold over the head again to rinse off and so on for hair washing. The shower was powerful but this really let the overall experience down, hence the mark of 4 out of 5 in my review. There were plenty of shower amenities; body wash, shampoo, toothbrushes etc, a set of scales and good sized towels.
Breakfast was decent enough, again staff were warm & friendly and the level of spoken English was adequate enough to be understood.
I can't comment on the other facilties as we didn't use them but I would stay at this hotel again and if there was a similar problem with the shower, then I would ask for a room change. I didn't raise it on this occasion as we managed ok and only stayed one night.
Overall, it was a very nice hotel, great room with a fantastic view and friendly & welcoming service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ericab
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I already posted my stays here in the HOLIDAY INN RIVERSIDE in the previous years.

Often one experiences that after two years on the market or in business - a hotel gets a liitle weared out and staff and service is no mor as good as it used to be in the first days an months.

not with Riverside Tianjin. Stayed in a standard room, unfortunately did not get an upgrade, made me a little disappointed since regular visitor.
anyway the standard room is big enough and was very clean as always. still looks brand-new.

also the hall, the lounge/bar, the restaurants, the elevators/lifts, everything clean and in excellent condition.

The bathroom was very clean and what I like the most - there is enough pressure on the shower, often the water pressure is so low that you can´t even take a real shower but more or less only get a little wet...

only minus wasthe somtimes bad internet connection. did not experience this during the last stays, but this time due to whatever reason was very slow and often broke.

The Staff was friendly, especially in the mornings at breakfast room everybody was very friendly srviceoriented and helpul, getting a newspaper, coffe and a quiet tabel to sit down.

check in was a quick procedure, only check out could have been a little bit easier, since my adress should already be in the system. unfortunately not, everytime the same procedure in getting the receipt right.

The location is ok, ou of the windows you can see the Tianjin Wheel on a bridge. you can easily take a walk around, just the corner from the hotel exit right, down a small road you get to nice restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I am often amazed by the value delivered by hotels in China for the reasonable rates they charge - this is definitely one of the better ones I've stayed in. The taxi driver had difficulty finding it but I could see identify it from a mile away based on the website picture. The view from my room was fantastic and it has all the amenities one would expect from a business hotel. The breakfast is average by Chinese hotel standards but the Japanese restaurant is excellent (the dinner buffet special is a great value for money!). The gym is modern, new and clean.

Would definitely stay here again for the next trip to Tianjin.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business